Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weightlifting shoes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

I got a pair of adipowers last week, have to say they're a big improvement over power perfects, better arch support, more comfortable, better stability, plus the added an extra kg to my snatch :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I have no willpower but I now have more adipower... I have a pair of the orange and bought the black/red last night. It worked out about €120 with a 20% discount code and sending to family in the states. The code was em2061AD-100 if it's of any benefit to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I've been contemplating buying a pair/

Are they worth the investment?

I'm currently switching between a few different pairs of runners each with varying degrees of sole thickness and it feels very unstable when I squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Dermighty wrote: »
    I've been contemplating buying a pair/

Are they worth the investment?

I'm currently switching between a few different pairs of runners each with varying degrees of sole thickness and it feels very unstable when I squat.

Runners are useless to squat in. Just get something flat like converse. Da Za uses slipper like things.

Although if you have the funds, I'd recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Tried a mate's Power Perfects once and they felt pretty good. But I didn't use them enough to fully appreciate how good they might be.

While I toy with the idea of getting them, my yellow pack Cons from Penneys, which cost me the princely sum of €7, are working for me just fine.

If you're using runners, get a pair with a flat sole, pancake thin. If the sole is relatively thick and has any give, you're hampering your squats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

If you squat low bar then stick with converse or bare feet if the gym allows it, weightlifting shoes aren't going to aid your squat if you train powerlifting style. Runners have no stability in them they will just squish underfoot. If you squat high bar or do Olympic lifting then they make a big difference to squat depth and bottom position stability while maintaining an upright torso.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you squat low bar then stick with converse or bare feet if the gym allows it, weightlifting shoes aren't going to aid your squat if you train powerlifting style.
    Are you saying oly shoes amke no difference if you squat low bar?
    If so i'd have to respectively disagree. Not everyone benefits, and maybe the benefit for low bar is less. But some people defintely benefit. There are far more factors here simply low or high bar, squat stance isn't that simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you squat low bar then stick with converse or bare feet if the gym allows it, weightlifting shoes aren't going to aid your squat if you train powerlifting style.

Wrong. Check out IPF lifters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Candito has a good video on it on youtube , Kev posted it on the previous page.

Tried a mate's Power Perfects once and they felt pretty good. But I didn't use them enough to fully appreciate how good they might be.

While I toy with the idea of getting them, my yellow pack Cons from Penneys, which cost me the princely sum of €7, are working for me just fine.

If you're using runners, get a pair with a flat sole, pancake thin. If the sole is relatively thick and has any give, you're hampering your squats.

Skechers GoRun 2 with a bit of mileage on them so they wobble a bit. Cheap converse it is!

• Advertisement

Dermighty wrote: »
    Skechers GoRun 2 with a bit of mileage on them so they wobble a bit. Cheap converse it is!

Ara jaysus, they'd be no good to you even with no mileage.

Ara jaysus, they'd be no good to you even with no mileage.

Pretty good for running! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's not a good idea to run with a barbell on your back

Mellor wrote: »

Word on the street is that it's gonna form part of 14.4

Mellor wrote: »

Don't knock it until you've tried it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Dynamic fitness in the States have put up some pictures of the white Adipowers:

http://www.dynamicfitnessequipment.com/adidas-White-adiPower-weightlifting-shoes-p/m25733.htm

My God they're purrrty! I was all set on buying a pair of Romaleos as a birthday present for myself but now I don't know what to do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

DylanJM wrote: »
    Dynamic fitness in the States have put up some pictures of the white Adipowers:

http://www.dynamicfitnessequipment.com/adidas-White-adiPower-weightlifting-shoes-p/m25733.htm

My God they're purrrty! I was all set on buying a pair of Romaleos as a birthday present for myself but now I don't know what to do :D

Illuminious yellow Romaleos, FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

Was gonna order a pair of Powers today - i'm a size 9 in a normal shoe so i'm guessing just go for a 9 in these also? Thanks for your help.

hsbc wrote: »
    Was gonna order a pair of Powers today - i'm a size 9 in a normal shoe so i'm guessing just go for a 9 in these also? Thanks for your help.

I'm pretty sure they run true to size.

If you're in Dublin D8fitness stock Adidas weightlifting shoes so you could call in and try a pair on just to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

The 2014 Adipowers are rumoured to come out around June if you can wait... if you can't, you can get them from sportsshoes.com with a 10% discount and free shipping using code N1412A. Works out about £141. I think it only works shipping to UK, so you need to use parcel motel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Just bought the 2012 red adistars for the absolute crack. Will probably rarely use them but they look pretty.

edit; just bought the reebok power shoe, which are essentially designer chucks, too.

Kev M wrote: »
    Just bought the 2012 red adistars for the absolute crack. Will probably rarely use them but they look pretty.

edit; just bought the reebok power shoe, which are essentially designer chucks, too.

GearWhore.

Hanley wrote: »
    GearWhore.

Yup, really enjoying the online reebok crossfit store way more than I'm entitled to.

Power shoes arrived this morning, first impression is they're very light, very flat, and look like something a half-assed clown would wear. Build quality obviously perfect as you'd expect from a big name brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Power shoes arrived this morning, first impression is they're very light, very flat, and look like something a half-assed clown would wear. Build quality obviously perfect as you'd expect from a big name brand.

There is much lust in my heart for these shoes... Did you buy them from the Irish Reebok site?

What's sizing run like? Online reviews seem to say fits your regular size or run a little bigger.

I've just seen that you can customise, sorry customize, them on the US site...must...resist...

MikeC101 wrote: »
    There is much lust in my heart for these shoes... Did you buy them from the Irish Reebok site?

What's sizing run like? Online reviews seem to say fits your regular size or run a little bigger.

I've just seen that you can customise, sorry customize, them on the US site...must...resist...

Yes from the Irish site, €89, delivery was very fast, like 3 days. I ordered half a size smaller than what I would wear in cons and they fit perfect.

Yes from the Irish site, €89, delivery was very fast, like 3 days. I ordered half a size smaller than what I would wear in cons and they fit perfect.

Jesus. Quick and cheap. Now I want a pair too.

Hanley wrote: »
    Jesus. Quick and cheap. Now I want a pair too.

15% discount on first orders too.. #bemadNOTto

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

New adiPowers are available - adidasspecialtysports.ie

15% discount if you sign up to the newsletter, so just under €150 is pretty good value.

Problem is their .ie site has a bug so you can't enter a shipping address.

Red Adipowers down to €165 and Power PPerfects at €85 in D8Fitness now.

Until the weekend anyway.

• Advertisement

Red Adipowers down to €165 and Power PPerfects at €85 in D8Fitness now.

Until the weekend anyway.

Yep, got may pair delivered this morning. I actually received a red pair of the 2014 model. Virtually identical to the 2012 model except for a shorter strap and the first set of cloth lace loops have been removed from the shoe.

I got a size 9.5 which are little bit snug but I think they will be fine once broken in. My power perfects are actually a 10.5 but I had quite a bit of room in the front.

Advertisement