Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wearing leather to office party?

• 15-12-2011 2:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭

I will be going to my office party next week and I am in a bit of a dilemma as to what to wear. On the one hand, I would love to turn up wearing my black leather gear, that is leather jeans, jeans style leather jacket and a leather shirt. On the other hand, I am thinking that such an outfit may not be appropriate for an office party. Should I be daring and wear my leathers or should I wear something more conservative? Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I will be going to my office party next week and I am in a bit of a dilemma as to what to wear. On the one hand, I would love to turn up wearing my black leather gear, that is leather jeans, jeans style leather jacket and a leather shirt. On the other hand, I am thinking that such an outfit may not be appropriate for an office party. Should I be daring and wear my leathers or should I wear something more conservative? Any advice?

I'm thinking that you have far too much leather there. One piece would be grand fir an office party, three would just look ridiculous anywhere imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

Go for it !! Wear all the leather- its what you wanna do. Go and enjoy yourself and if there are haters well......there will always be haters :rolleyes:

Maybe one piece of leather?

It seems a tad much to wear head to toe leather.. but that's just my opinion.

If you are comfortable wearing all leather - go for it. It's not up to other people what you choose to wear. Enjoy it either way! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Wow that’s a lot of leather going on there! I think that sounds like total overkill, but each to their own. Would you normally wear all that leather on a night out? I would have thought it was very hot and sweaty in a crowded party! I think a lot depends on how conservative your workplace is. I’m all for standing out and being individual but if you work in a really conservative place, then the Christmas party probably isn’t the time to debut your all leather look! If your workplace is casual and you would be comfortable, then go for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Black Leather

Yes, particularly during the winter months, I always dress in head to toe black leather on a night out and would not normally consider wearing any other kind of clothing as I do love to stand out in the crowd and be an individual. I do not find that my leathers make me feel uncomfortably sweaty. My workplace is fairly casual dress wise, so I may go for the full leather look at my office party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 deejam

if you don't mind be asking, are you male or female..? i feel if its a christmas party maybe not, i hate when i'm unsure about wearing something different/overdressed or whatever, and wear it out and feel uncomfortable all night.. i think theres a big difference between friends and office friends...
    but i hope you enjoy your party either way..:)

To answer your question, I am male and I am still somewhat undecided as to what I will wear at my office party, my leathers or some other outfit. As leather wearing is a part of my life, I feel that the casual atmosphere at an office party may be a good time to make my leather debut. Thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Depends on the venue and type of party tbh.

All leather sounds fine to me but will it be socially appropriate? If its the type of do/venue where people will wear suits and evening gowns, then no to the leather, if its a more casual venue, then yes, happy days.

I wouldnt be worried about being more conservative (I dont think wearing leather is exactly 'out there' anyway), but Id always be wary of underdressing for an event (like jeans at a formal do). Leather is really just a more quality material than denim, so if its a do that demin would be acceptable at, then leather probably would be too.

Thanks for the advice, username123. The party will be an informal affair consisting of dinner and a visit to a pub afterwards. Now that I think about it, I am going to be daring and turn up in my leathers. Should raise a few eyebrows, but then who cares!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

I would think about it before you do. I understand you would want to express your style, but it may affect how people think about you and treat you in work from now on. Personally I'd try and stick to something a little less risky as the possible repercussions for one night out aren't really worth it.

Many people might be quite dismissive of leathers. Same goes for piercings and tattos. They're in the wrong, but if they're people you work with there's not much you can do with it.

I'd go with jeans, tshirt and a leather jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Do you by any chance have a bald head and handlebar moustaches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Just make sure theres easy access so the boss can give you a good bashing later on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Pics please.

but it may affect how people think about you and treat you in work from now on.

In the work place or in any social situation, I would see that as quick way to separate the superficial from the sincere people in society. I think conforming and wearing something his is not happy with, is like saying- "You are right to judge me for not looking like you".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Please keep on topic and with the ethos of the forum If you have nothing contructive to add, don't bother posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I think you should add a leather face mask as well and go with 4 types of leather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

its up to you, but personally would think it very inappropriate.

A meal and a pub visit isn't overly formal, if you're happy and comfy in your leather attire than I see no reason not to wear it. No different to any other night out really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

30Min wrote: »
    In the work place or in any social situation, I would see that as quick way to separate the superficial from the sincere people in society. I think conforming and wearing something his is not happy with, is like saying- "You are right to judge me for not looking like you".

That's fine and wonderful in your free time, but your job is your job. People that are in charge of paying you and promoting you are going to judge you whether you take the moral high ground and assert your right to expression or not.

That's fine and wonderful in your free time, but your job is your job. People that are in charge of paying you and promoting you are going to judge you whether you take the moral high ground and assert your right to expression or not.

But it is the OPs free time - its the xmas party. He is not suggesting wearing leather to the office.

People that are in charge of paying you and promoting you should be doing so based on a judgement of your ability to do your job and how you behave in the workplace, and not what you wear to a restaurant/bar in your free time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

But it is the OPs free time - its the xmas party. He is not suggesting wearing leather to the office.

People that are in charge of paying you and promoting you should be doing so based on a judgement of your ability to do your job and how you behave in the workplace, and not what you wear to a restaurant/bar in your free time.

Except that's it's not really his "free" time is it? It's an office party. He still has a certain standard to uphold with his workmates

But it is his free time- its the xmas party. There's no dress code as there would be in a work place. If a manager is going to promote you (or not) based on what you are wearing and not the quality of your work, then they have no business being in that position to start with.

What if he bumped into his manager in town one day while shopping or while out at the pub (while wearing the leather gear).

Except that's it's not really his "free" time is it? It's an office party. He still has a certain standard to uphold with his workmates

What standard? Its not working hours, he is not clocked in, people will not be behaving as they do in work, they will be drinking and dancing etc...

As another poster has pointed out, he could easily bump into people he works with while outside of work and be wearing his leathers.

Its not as though wearing leathers is something to be worried about your workmates seeing. He is not wearing a rubber swimsuit and carrying a whip! He is wearing trousers, a shirt and a jacket - made out of leather - so what? Its hardly a lowering of standards!

you can argue why wearing what you want to the Xmas party is your choice, but this is the real world. incorporate your style into your party outfit if you want, in an appropriate way. if you care about your reputation in work,maybe choose a different place to 'be yourself'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

30Min wrote: »
    But it is his free time- its the xmas party. There's no dress code as there would be in a work place.

Actually the workplace does extend to work gatherings as it is a work event. It's a bit of a grey area, but you should always treat work parties as work. I know people who've been censured due to their behaviour at work parties.

Err on the side of caution and find a way to mix your style with relaxed work requirements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

dudara wrote: »
    Actually the workplace does extend to work gatherings as it is a work event. It's a bit of a grey area, but you should always treat work parties as work. I know people who've been censured due to their behaviour at work parties.

Err on the side of caution and find a way to mix your style with relaxed work requirements

This ^^^

Even though it's a christmas party, it's still a WORK christmas party and an event organised by WORK. You'll be there with your work colleagues. You should not be treating a work party like a normal night out with your mates, you have to be professional. You're going to be mingling with your boss / other heads of the company, you don't want them to get this bad impression of you.

I think head-to-toe leather is completely inappropriate for an office party. Maybe if you worked in Harley Davidson it would be appropriate, but definitely not for an office party.

dudara wrote: »
    It's a bit of a grey area, but you should always treat work parties as work. I know people who've been censured due to their behaviour at work parties.

Is your behaviour not a different thing to what you are wearing though (assuming what you are wearing falls in line with decency, not showing your underwear or bare flesh of the bum or an offensive slogan or whatever)?

Because I can think of a number of people I have worked with over the years who have worn 'questionable' outfits to company work events - but you cant be censured for bad taste!!

The OP is discussing a pair of trousers, a shirt and a jacket - all are made of leather. It does not sound like an offensive outfit, nor does it sound beyond the realms of decency. Im failing to see what difference it makes to wear a pair of trousers, a shirt and a jacket to an informal work do - no matter what material they are made of. If the entire outfit was corduroy would people be having the same reaction about it not being appropriate etc?

I am totally confused! I still have not decided if I will wear my leathers or not at my office party, which takes place tomorrow night. I don't think that any of my work colleagues have seen me dressed all in leather before as I have only worked at the company for a few months. Originally, I felt that the office party would be an opportunity to wear my leathers in an informal and non work related event. Anyway, I have another 24 hours to decide!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I am totally confused! I still have not decided if I will wear my leathers or not at my office party, which takes place tomorrow night. I don't think that any of my work colleagues have seen me dressed all in leather before as I have only worked at the company for a few months. Originally, I felt that the office party would be an opportunity to wear my leathers in an informal and non work related event. Anyway, I have another 24 hours to decide!

Still time to source a Gimp Mask! (assuming you dont have one to hand )

This will defo make them think your an individual

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Bandana boy you have twice ignored the mod warning. If you post in this thread again you will be infracted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

A work do is still work - have heard of a number of HR issues arising from work events this Christmas. Obviously the behaviour causing same was a bit more dramatic than the wearing of head to toe leather, but in many offices the gossip level wouldn't be far off the same level. I've always had a small collection of 'office do' dresses that are a bit longer/not low cut compared to what I'd wear out with my friends

OP the shirt is the step too far for me to be honest. It's a bit outré for a work event for me, but the trousers and jacket are probably ok. A plain black cotton shirt is probably a better option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

can you not make a compromise? like, just wear some leather items of clothing, instead of the full outfit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

OP, the fact that you are a bit nervy and worred about wearing a full leather outfit as well as what reactions your workmates may have suggests you are not confident about wearing leather. It also means you may not enjoy your night out properly if you are concerned about reactions or comments that might be made at any stage of the night or after. If that is the case, then I suggest you ditch the head to toe outfit and wear something that you'll feel comfortable in and that you won't care what others reactions will be.

Why not go with the leather trousers and a nice non leather shirt/jacket. It will still be considered a somewhat adventurous outfit but perhaps something you'll be more comfortable with. Then, after gauging reactions (if any) on the night, you could be a little bit more avant-garde on the next social outing.

Links234 wrote: »
    can you not make a compromise? like, just wear some leather items of clothing, instead of the full outfit?

For me, its all or nothing when it comes to wearing leather!

what did you do in the end?

• Advertisement

Last night, I decided to be a devil and turn up at my office party dressed all in black leather. When I arrived at the venue, one male colleague asked me if I had arrived on a motor bike. I had to explain to him that I did not have a bike and that I just like dressing up in leather. One lady asked me if I was in a rock band! Later, this lady came up to me and admired my leathers and said it was the first time that she had met a man dressed all in leather. She also wanted to know where I bought my leathers.

Later in the evening, we visited a bar where the atmosphere was more informal. Many of my female colleagues admired what I was wearing and my leather clad bum was pinched a few times. Overall, it was a very enjoyable evening and I was glad that I decided to wear my leathers. I found that my female colleagues were more appreciative of my leather look, whereas the reaction of my male colleagues was mainly one of indifference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Later in the evening, we visited a bar where the atmosphere was more informal. Many of my female colleagues admired what I was wearing and my leather clad bum was pinched a few times. Overall, it was a very enjoyable evening and I was glad that I decided to wear my leathers. I found that my female colleagues were more appreciative of my leather look, whereas the reaction of my male colleagues was mainly one of indifference.

If it were the other way around and you were a woman you
    would have experienced the opposite reaction from both sexes.

Wouldnt dress all leather myself but do love good quality leather
    goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Have to laugh at people who think shop bought leather jackets etc. are suitable for wearing on a motorbike lol!

Fair play to you for sticking to your guns. I didn't think there would be much of a kerfuffle about it. Any Christmas parties I have been to are generally a night to show off your real personality through what your wearing, rather than your 9-5 outfits and I don't think many senior colleagues would begrudge anyone that.

OP - delighted to hear you bit the bullet and expressed your personality through your outfit. I was pretty surprised at comments on this thread expressing a concern about 'work being work' and a fear of being judged badly by people who have the power to promote you etc.. At the end of the day, so long as the outfit isnt offensive or innappropriate to the event then what harm!

Im delighted to hear you were admired in your leathers!!

Advertisement