Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does a Loan work?

Options
  • 15-12-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi

I have my horse up for loan and was just interested in how it works. Are you supposed to provide the horses tack & rugs etc? Whats the normal procedure? I have my horse for Free loan hoping that he would go to a nice yard (which is going to tomorrow) but they are now asking for tack etc. He was free because i didnt want all the tack to go with him in case i never get it all back. So now I am going to provide him with rugs, bridle, saddlecloth, travel boots, 1 pair of boots. How do i know i will ever see them again? Is there any sort of arrangement in place? Is a loan for 1 year usually?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

I'm afraid I've no experience of loaning but could you do something simple like take photos of all his tack, rugs etc. and ask the people loaning him to sign the back of them and a note to the effect that they will return all items in the same condition as they borrowed them or they will have to replace like with like?

Good luck with it, I'm sure it's nerve wracking sending your boy off to live elsewhere under someone elses care, I hope it all works out for you!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Will the "loaners" insure him?Have you some kind of agreement on paper?If he,heaven forbid, were to be seriously injured what happens?Suppose thy fell off and said it was the horse's fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Google BHS sample loan agreement ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭stargirl!

why put him up for loan and agree to one if you havent researched and dont know exactly what it invloves??
    get a signed agreement by both parties, what happens if someone gets injured off him? or he gets injured and goes lame- do they keep and cover costs, including expensive vet costs, for a horse thats not their own that they can no logner use? or give you back a lame horse so you pay a fortune on vets? what if it gets badly injured and needs euthanasia? who is responsible for all costs, etc involved?
    also agree visiting times for you to check on him, you should have specified at the time if tack, etc were included or they had to provide their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

As a poster above said, download the BHS loan agreement contract.
    There is a section dedicated to tack, you state what it is/colour/size/model number/marks or scratches. I personally would take photos for evidence and if they lose or damage the tack it's their responsibility to pay for repair/replacement.

If I were to take out a loan I would personally find it unusual to not receive the tack/rugs with the horse too. Although this may vary on how long the loan is intended to be..

• Advertisement
Advertisement