Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ef2000 - Can anyone help?

Options
  • 15-12-2011 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

My happiest memory of gaming when I was younger was this game. Hours flying around not skipping through the mission listening to some fantastic music tracks.
    I have searched high and low for this game to no avail.
    Can anyone firstly, confirm that it was fantastic and secondly, tell me where I can get it or where I should look.
    Any advice and I'll love you long time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Had a quick look around and the only place I could find copies were on eBay. Some are the original EF2000 while some are the updated Super EF2000. If you want more modern examples check out F-22 Total Air War which was absolutely fantastic back in the day and the even more modern, albeit slightly lighter on the sim front, Eurofighter Typhoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭daithieoghan

Got the game, was so very very happy. Won't install on vista 64 bit. Went online to games forums to find a fix. Install windows 95 in a partition creating dual boot, install game, copy and paste files, play on vista. Happy days?
    No, following instructions that I don't understand did not, oddly,yield the result I wanted. I couldn't install windows 95 on my newly created partition which I'm pretty sure I created correctly because windows 95 will not install on vista 64 bit
    This makes me sad. Do I need to just go and get a windows 95 run pc or laptop in order to decrease the sad.

Got the game, was so very very happy. Won't install on vista 64 bit. Went online to games forums to find a fix. Install windows 95 in a partition creating dual boot, install game, copy and paste files, play on vista. Happy days?
    No, following instructions that I don't understand did not, oddly,yield the result I wanted. I couldn't install windows 95 on my newly created partition which I'm pretty sure I created correctly because windows 95 will not install on vista 64 bit
    This makes me sad. Do I need to just go and get a windows 95 run pc or laptop in order to decrease the sad.
    Hmm, had a quick look around to see what the problem was. I assume you're talking about the installer problem? From what I can see that seems to be related specifically to a 64bit OS so perhaps find someone with a 32bit OS (any one, including Windows 7), install the files, copy to a portable device and bring them home to try again. Definitely better than messing around with multiple partitions imo.

There are a couple of other considerations to make, mainly depending on what version of the game you're running. Most of them can be found here.

gizmo wrote: »
    Hmm, had a quick look around to see what the problem was. I assume you're talking about the installer problem? From what I can see that seems to be related specifically to a 64bit OS so perhaps find someone with a 32bit OS (any one, including Windows 7), install the files, copy to a portable device and bring them home to try again. Definitely better than messing around with multiple partitions imo.

There are a couple of other considerations to make, mainly depending on what version of the game you're running. Most of them can be found here.
    Thank you and excuse my ignorance, so if I can install the game somewhere else, put the installed game files on a hard drive I should be able to just transfer those files into my own yolk and then it should work?
    Granted by the link you sent me I think I need to get that program to slow it all down as well.

• Advertisement

Thank you and excuse my ignorance, so if I can install the game somewhere else, put the installed game files on a hard drive I should be able to just transfer those files into my own yolk and then it should work?
    Granted by the link you sent me I think I need to get that program to slow it all down as well.
    Yes, because the game doesn't write anything important to the registry you should be able to just copy the installed files from one machine to another and play it.

Aye, looks like a slow down tool will be needed but unfortunately I can't give any advice on this one. If you do have more problems with them either ask some of the guys here or in the Retro section or, as I said above, play TAW or one of the other sequels to avoid these issues. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You'll find it very hard to dual boot Win95 and Vista with Vista being in place first, it'd be easier to install Win95 first and then add Vista. A much easier option would be to use Virtual PC (or some other virtualisation tool) to create a Win95 VM, do your install on that and copy the files off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Could it have sonething to do with the file system, did Win95 use NTFS, when you created a partition did you format it as FAT32, it should be FAT32

I installed virtual pc07, mounted .ima file and it was doing its thing until it refused to format. A problem with primary partition. To be honest this all means nothing to me, I'm just using guides to troubleshoot each problem but this one appears to be a stumbler. Any ideas how to overcome this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Also you can only havea max. of 460MB of RAM for Win95

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

quick google there, for 'vmware player windows 95' came back with:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11936/geek-fun-virtualized-old-school-windows-windows-95/

might be a runner? If you're not a fan of 'VMware Player', 'VirtualBox' might be worth a look either:

quick google for 'virtualbox windows 95' came back with a similar, but prob not as good:
    https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=9918

Have used both (not for this!) and they're both really good.

I used virtual box, installed dos and then installed ef2000. It worked except no sound at all. I need soundblaster cards to play it in virtual box.
    Anyone know how to copy the installed dos files to the host computer from virtual box.
    It won't burn them to a disc from dos. Iv looked around the geek/ nerd forums and can't find any solid advice

yea, its gonna be difficult enough to get the files off the VM I reckon.. Im not too sure how you'd go about it. Should really be able to get the game going 100% inside the VM, and if not, have a look at another option tbh, DOSBox for example

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Virtual PC lets you mount a folder from your local drive as a drive inside the VM, I'd guess Virtual Box has similar functionality? (though it may not be DOS compatible)

Yea, think alot of them present folders into the VM by emulating them as USB drives, which Im not sure is a runner for win95/dos

Dosbox just rocked my world. Thanks for the advice guys. Now to lock myself away for 3 weeks and not waste time communicating or eating, just like the old days!

Ah great news :)

Advertisement