Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know if ignoring ticket inspector actually works?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

n97 mini wrote: »
    "I've been issued the wrong ticket, have no other way home and no money" does not warrant physical intervention, even if it is littered with cursing and petulant criticisms.
    The cursing and petulant criticisms destroyed any credibility the little toe rag had.

Physical intervention was clearly required as he wasn't going to leave by himself, but the ticket inspector would have been better off calling the local constabulary to provide the necessary force, preferably with truncheons and whatever other legal physical methods they had at their disposal.

We are sort of in agreement here. The passenger appears to have been an awful little git and the police should have been called to rectify the situation but the bottom line is that train company intransigence following their mistake will invariably lead to anger. Those people chancing their arm who get caught, that I have seen, become very polite and apologetic. Have you ever seen the start of the film "The Lives of Others" with the interrogation? And no, I don't think it's too severe to compare First revenue inspectors to Stasi interrogators.
    Carriage upon the railway depends on an indecipherable set of terms and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

We are sort of in agreement here.
    I know, it's one of those rare times on boards.ie! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I think I should lock this thread and sticky it as proof that it can actually happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

But,but,but.....Chris,The Fat Lady ain't sung yet......there's several day's in court yet to come...:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Dublin Bus wouldnt need inspectors if they had a proper fare system. One standard fare and one standard fare for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Dublin Bus wouldnt need inspectors if they had a proper fare system. One standard fare and one standard fare for kids.

And they wouldn't need them either if people didn't try to travel for free on fake passes, underpaid tickets, sneaking on older kids as being underage etc etc ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

And they wouldn't need them either if people didn't try to travel for free on fake passes, underpaid tickets, sneaking on older kids as being underage etc etc ;)

All true.

Free passes to alcos and junkies should be revoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Have you got the extra (appx) €50m that would be required to fund such a system?

lxflyer wrote: »
    Have you got the extra (appx) €50m that would be required to fund such a system?
    How do you work that out? Setting the standard fare to the current median fare would be revenue neutral.

• Advertisement

But the median would in all likelihood not be politically acceptable.

It would be too high for the lower fare groups.

But the median would in all likelihood not be politically acceptable.

It would be too high for the lower fare groups.

There would obviously be some losers. My usual fare is €1.20. I would expect that to rise. My alternative is to walk or get a taxi. I won't be getting any taxies.

You still haven't explained your €50m figure?

Antoin came up with that elsewhere on C & T.

I believe Antoin based this figure on what he described as the "Politically Acceptable" level of Flat Fare would be ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

AlekSmart wrote: »

I believe Antoin based this figure on what he described as the "Politically Acceptable" level of Flat Fare would be ;)

Which frankly is the only one that could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

London still has them in spite of a flat fare system. There are so many people getting on the buses at once that the driver can't keep track of stray wrists protruding between the torsos of others to tap their oyster on the validator.

It is essentially an honour system in London now. Some buses do have rear doors for entry as well and I think they are patrolled more vigourously.

I once got on the bus in London and my card did not read properly and gave the two loud beeps. I tried again and once more got the loud beeps. The driver waved me on. Apparently if I had been checked, I would most likely have been prosecuted as I entered the bus knowing I had not paid. Penalty fares are just for where there is a mix up or confusion. When you are aware of your unpaid travel it is straight to court.

London still has them in spite of a flat fare system. There are so many people getting on the buses at once that the driver can't keep track of stray wrists protruding between the torsos of others to tap their oyster on the validator.

It is essentially an honour system in London now. Some buses do have rear doors for entry as well and I think they are patrolled more vigourously.

I once got on the bus in London and my card did not read properly and gave the two loud beeps. I tried again and once more got the loud beeps. The driver waved me on. Apparently if I had been checked, I would most likely have been prosecuted as I entered the bus knowing I had not paid. Penalty fares are just for where there is a mix up or confusion. When you are aware of your unpaid travel it is straight to court.

London is indeed a place one should never tire of,however it's public transport system,excellent as it is,does come at a cost...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/corporate/Item05-Board-30-03-2011-Business-Plan-and-Budget.pdf

Page 51 gives some rather impressive figures,actual and precicted....

c. £400 MILLION in Bus Subsidy alone for 2011/12...one gets what one pays for,and Londoners DO pay for their services....:)

Pages 71,72,73 and in the light of Leap's introduction to Ireland page 78 have interesting elements too :)

Advertisement