Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get out of my mortgage ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FlexBrowne

cookie1977 wrote: »
    FlexBrowne wrote: »
    Are the Councils bound by this?

How do you mean. Did you buy under the affordable housing scheme and get a mortgage through your local council?

Shared Ownership Scheme yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

The shared ownership scheme is one of the options offered for people in arrears so it's not 100% clear but according to some dail questioning (dated Wednesday, 6 June 2012):
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2012/06/06/00471.asp
    my Department issued comprehensive guidance to local authorities on the treatment of mortgage arrears, including local authority mortgages for shared ownership transactions, in March 2010. That guidance was closely based on the Central Bank’s first statutory Code of Conduct on Mortgage Arrears to ensure that cases of local authority mortgage arrears are handled in a manner that is sympathetic to the needs of the particular household, while also protecting the position of the local authority concerned.

To reflect the content of the Central Bank’s revised Code of Conduct — which replaced the previous code from 1 January 2011 and was informed by the deliberations of the Expert Group on Mortgage Arrears and Personal Debt — my Department is currently preparing updated guidance to local authorities in consultation with the City and County Managers Association.

This guidance will issue shortly and will include a common Mortgage Arrears Resolution Strategy. This will provide for the options available to distressed borrowers from private lenders to continue to be made available to distressed local authority borrowers also.

Advertisement