Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Illuminations - or maybe not!

• 15-12-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

I stumbled upon this article a while ago.

Having spent a bit of time, well a lot actually (I'm obviously thick), deciphering it (i.e. translating it to normal english), it's quite a good article and makes a lot of sense.

The point I'd like to raise though is why? Why write like this? Is it to pander towards a certain very limited audience or just maybe is it designed to exclude. I think maybe a bit of both and definitely a big dose of the latter.

I'm not sure if photography is art or not (irrelevant argument) but on the assumption it is (partly at least), why does it seek to exclude rather than include? The above article could just as easily have been written in normal english (without the grammatical errors it includes :D) and imparted the same message/viewpoint.

I post this as it has been touched on in a few current threads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

God I read the first 2 paragraphs and tried to find who the writer was :eek:
    Its a tuff read... I admit I don't read many books at all!
    But I would rather someone stood back after proof reading their work and patted themselves on the back for a well written article that doesn't involve a certain self gratified use of wording.
    Dont get me wrong in the last sentence the person that wrote this has it seems a good command over the english language but to the original OP's statement why write like that.
    I go out of my way to find all and any articles I can use to extend my knowledge in any interests I have, but this one I personally could do without reading.
    N

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

The true sign of genius is to make the complicated seem simple. This article (and its author) seem unencumbered by such a trait.

"A slight inclination of the cranium is as adequate as a temporary obstruction of the oculus to a non visionary quadruped" (nods as good as a ….)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I blame the French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

CabanSail wrote: »
    I blame the French.

Too easy a response CabanSail - every body blames the French; for everything.

But at least we can understand what you are saying :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

perhaps it was written by this guy here

wearmeme-tophatrageguy-sm.jpg

it's the one thing that came to my mind while trying to read that article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I blame the French.

Too easy a response CabanSail - every body blames the French; for everything.

But at least we can understand what you are saying :D

14538d1157945305-courtney-cox-cleavage-animated-gifs-longest-yard-ccly15.gif

Disclaimer : I may not actuaally look exxacccctlyyyy like that...

edit : it's not meant to be sexy by the way :S
    oh, and I understand that text, yeah, no bother, easy peasy for us French ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭McVitae

One of the basic purposes of language is communication. By alienating those without a stupendously massive vocabulary it fails to communicate much at all.

Reminds me of writing essays in school and trying to enhance them by replacing words with more complex alternatives from the thesaurus.

The word that comes to mind is like "BANKER" but replace a certain letter with "W"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

McVitae wrote: »
    One of the basic purposes of language is communication. By alienating those without a stupendously massive vocabulary it fails to communicate much at all.

Reminds me of writing essays in school and trying to enhance them by replacing words with more complex alternatives from the thesaurus.

The word that comes to mind is like "BANKER" but replace a certain letter with "W"

Agree.

I'm slowly coming around to the view though that this is done deliberately and not just by this writer but the whole photographic "art" community. They probably think it places them apart but are the first to complain they can't make a living from their "art".

In their own parlance, I think it's a space ripe for reclaimimg :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Jesus, you guys think that's hard going? You don't want to be in my monday morning class. I had a two and a half hour lecture on Black Metal theory (as in, Norwegian shouty satanic stuff) by a mystical anarchist a few weeks ago, who just read his doctoral paper at us. For 2 and a half hours. On a Monday morning...

Anyway, it's something i've been struggling with a wee bit since starting the fine art masters. From talking to a lot of people, and listening to a lot of debate (did you guys see the turner prize for example? A lot of people felt George Shaw should have won, but didn't because his work is too accessible..) the impression I get is that you're not taken seriously in the art-critic world (*as opposed to the art world*) if you don't talk the talk. Which then directly translates to not being taken seriously in the commercial world, and dying in a hole somewhere in croydon. A lot of art practitioners i talk to about it say that although they hate it really, it's a necessary part of the game. Plus, there *is* a certain vocabulary that makes sense if you're using it every day - like a shorthand that's been built up that yep, makes it a bit impenetrable. And yep, to a certain extent i think that's the point sometimes. Not always though.

Art shouldn't always be easy. Sometimes there are layers of references. Like there are layers in science, built up by all that came before it. It's the same in writing; you write for your audience. Maybe this article was written for the art critic world, where the shorthand makes sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Looks like someone just got their first thesaurus.

• Advertisement

sineadw wrote: »
    A lot of art practitioners i talk to about it say that although they hate it really, it's a necessary part of the game.

Jaysus I remember a time that being a student meant challenging things, discarding the superfluous and shaping your world on your terms. To think we're talking of naturally inventive people here makes that even more depressing.

There are many good organisations out there trying rightly to make art more accessible to the ordinary person and it's bloody depressing to see artists and the so called art world do the exact opposite.

In fact I think I'll refer to it as "the Arse World" from here on in. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

shorthand

But that's not shorthand, is it?

dakar wrote: »
    shorthand

But that's not shorthand, is it?

Ok, shorthand is probably the wrong word :) and i'm talking generalities here, and playing devil's advocate to a certain extent. I think it's unfair to lump all of it in the wankery sphere though. If you opened an article on the Higgs bosun stuff a few days ago for example, and didn't understand all of it, would you say the scientists behind the article were being elitist, or not confronting things the way you should as a science student? It's a field of knowledge like any other, and it has its specific terminologies.

EyeBlinks wrote: »

Jaysus I remember a time that being a student meant challenging things, discarding the superfluous and shaping your world on your terms. To think we're talking of naturally inventive people here makes that even more depressing.
    I was referring to artists trying to earn a living, not students per se..

Not much of a difference tbh.

Anyway, do you remember the day with Jackie Nickerson. That was by a long way my most informative day ever about photography and art that I have had. There was none of the elitist ****e, and yes that is what I think it is ;) , very straightforward and wonderfully informative. A proper artist imo!

And she only used the "a" word once .... yes I was counting.:p

Not much of a difference tbh.

Anyway, do you remember the day with Jackie Nickerson. That was by a long way my most informative day ever about photography and art that I have had. There was none of the elitist ****e, and yes that is what I think it is ;) , very straightforward and wonderfully informative. A proper artist imo!

And she only used the "a" word once .... yes I was counting.:p

Hey i still cringe at the other a word :) yeah, she was awesome..

Here's a good example, from Adrian Searle (who's very unwankery :) ) about the recent Turner Prize. Boyce, who won, references loads of other work and high concepts, is hard to 'get' if you don't know much about contemporary art, and there's really only one point of entry into it. Shaw, who I really wanted to win, you can get on many levels, even if you've never studied art. A lot of people (including my lecturer in NCAD btw - they're not *all* elitist ;) ) felt that he should have won, but probably didn't simply *because* his work is accessible. It doesn't mean Boyce's stuff is any less valid though.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/video/2011/oct/26/turner-prize-2011-adrian-searle

felt that he should have won, but probably didn't simply *because* his work is accessible.

If the reason for not winning a major art prize is that it's accessible, then all I can say "the Art is an Ass" :cool:

felt that he should have won, but probably didn't simply *because* his work is accessible.

If the reason for not winning a major art prize is that it's accessible, then all I can say "the Art is an Ass" :cool:

Or maybe 'the guys who chose the winner are asses'. My point was though that not all of it is inaccessible, and even the stuff that is, isn't necessarily so just for the sake of it. I think maybe the video screen stuff was. Didn't like that at all tbh. There's some sh!te, but it's not *all* sh!te.

What was the original point again? ;)

Well it was the unneccessary use of language to specifically exclude people from the arts. I think art photography is by far the worst offender here btw.

When I'm famous, I'll change all of that ;)

• Advertisement

Well it was the unneccessary use of language to specifically exclude people from the arts. I think art photography is by far the worst offender here btw.

When I'm famous, I'll change all of that ;)

I have a wonderful mental image of you on the View :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Just not sure (a) what the author is on about and (b) if it'll help his photography in any way at all, although from my very cursory glance at the article, I didn't establish whether or not the geezer is a critic or practitioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Art is a weird mix of experimentation (E) , communication(C), and masturbation (M). ( There may be other categories, of course, add as you see fit)

Here's a random list - who are the E's, C's & M's?

Rachel Whiteread
    Lucian Freud
    Arthur Miller
    Hector Berlioz
    Giuseppe Verdi
    Damien Hirst
    Andy Warhol
    Robert Mapplethorpe
    Edward Weston
    Ansel Adams
    Rihanna
    Jedward
    Yann Martel
    Peig Sayers

I have strong views on the above - but I dont expect they are universally shared. Like every other field of human endeavour, the art world subjective ( which is good) - but also is polluted to some extent by social/commercial/political/cultural vested interests. Ya gotta figure it out for yourself!

-FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Jedward are out standing in their own field.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

They should get a Nobel Prize then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

not sure if it adds anything to the very interesting debate here but this made me laugh when I first seen it months ago..

Art Boll*cks (or Stupid Kunst) by Charlotte Young

http://vimeo.com/19993726

Advertisement