Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whey protein

Options
  • 15-12-2011 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

i am going to the gym 2-4 times per week, would people reccommend whey protein and if so which ones??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 gh1979

malascoile wrote: »
    i am going to the gym 2-4 times per week, would people reccommend whey protein and if so which ones??

BSN's Syntha-6 is so delicious and can increase muscular lean. Perhaps Optimum Nutrition's Casein Whey Protein would be useful for you as it will not make you feel hungry during bed/night time. However, some different brand companies, who make whey protein, can be very competitive against other brand companies on the higher quality of their whey protein composition. MuscleTech, BSN, Optimum Nutrition, USN, Maximuscle and Gaspari Nutrition are example in that regard. So, it is hard for me to recommend you to use right whey protein that is for you, but I would suggest that you would try to use different brand companies' whey protein before you will know which one would be the best for you. Maybe you need to be patient for some while. Every individual's needs can be different. Whey protein isolate is more effective than whey protein concentrate, which is for economical reason. Casein whey protein would be useful for night/bed-time if you do not need to be hungry during night/bed time. BSN's Syntha-6, Gaspari Nutrition's Myofusion and Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey Protein are popular, but they are a bit expensive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

I think you should read up on basic nutrition for lifting. You need to work out if you're getting enough protein from your diet and if you're not, then think about buying supplements. They are called supplements... to supplement your diet.

I think 1g protein/ pound bodyweight is a reasonable figure.

Optimum nutrition's whey is tasty I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

No I wouldn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sligo.lifter

I currently buy the holland & barrett protein, great deal if you stock up on during the half price sale but its a rip off when its full price (40euro). Im considering switching to ON (optimum nutrition) gold standard 100% whey as its an even better deal if you buy 5lb-10lb tub/bag although I have no idea what it tastes like. I live in Sligo where selection is poor and I seen the ON brabd protein on irish lifting.com. Also you should try getting as much protein from FOOD as you can, like chicken,tuna etc etc and only use supplements to add EXTRA protein. 1g-1.5g protein per pound of bodyweight a day is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Your 16.
    In my opinion...skip the protein supplements.
    Eat a good healthy diet and lots of decent quality protein, (eggs, lean chicken/meat) and drink milk instead of water/soda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

FFS...........just get protein into you, read up on it before you come on here. You'll hear too much ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

gh1979 wrote: »
    BSN's Syntha-6 is so delicious and can increase muscular lean. Perhaps Optimum Nutrition's Casein Whey Protein would be useful for you as it will not make you feel hungry during bed/night time. However, some different brand companies, who make whey protein, can be very competitive against other brand companies on the higher quality of their whey protein composition. MuscleTech, BSN, Optimum Nutrition, USN, Maximuscle and Gaspari Nutrition are example in that regard. So, it is hard for me to recommend you to use right whey protein that is for you, but I would suggest that you would try to use different brand companies' whey protein before you will know which one would be the best for you. Maybe you need to be patient for some while. Every individual's needs can be different. Whey protein isolate is more effective than whey protein concentrate, which is for economical reason. Casein whey protein would be useful for night/bed-time if you do not need to be hungry during night/bed time. BSN's Syntha-6, Gaspari Nutrition's Myofusion and Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey Protein are popular, but they are a bit expensive. :)

This chap is an idiot and is trying to sell ****e

Da Za wrote: »
    This chap is an idiot and is trying to sell ****e

Well, whey protein is probably compared to what the side effect of alcoholic drink would be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

Well, whey protein is probably compared to what the side effect of alcoholic drink would be!

Totally rediculous comment. Whey protein is simply a by-product of cheese production - in other words, it's food.

If your whey is giving you any of the side effects of alcohol, you must be using a SERIOUSLY defective tub or else have some sort of alergy.

marathonic wrote: »
    Totally rediculous comment. Whey protein is simply a by-product of cheese production - in other words, it's food.

If your whey is giving you any of the side effects of alcohol, you must be using a SERIOUSLY defective tub or else have some sort of alergy.

I would not use some whey protein if it contains aspartame and high amounts of MSG. However, I have been using whey protein for years. It seems to me that whey protein is still considered as a safer man-made product than alcohol. You must have to research on the advantages and disadvantages of using whey protein first, but it is really compared to what the side effects of alcohol would be. Even, the healthier alternative to alcohol would probably be whey protein for many reasons for most adults!

Google on the side effects of whey protein

Google on the side effects of alcohol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

OP will end up less informed than he started. Listen to DaZa, have yourself some protein and don't listen to people talk bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

I would not use some whey protein if it contains aspartame and high amounts of MSG.

Can you point me to the scientific studies that show the dangers of aspartame please?

sephir0th wrote: »
    Can you point me to the scientific studies that show the dangers of aspartame please?

I always use whey protein without aspartame. Unfortunately, I am not sure to point you to the scientific studies in relation to the dangers of aspartame. I am not experienced at researching on any scientific studies. However, I just have watched the danger of aspartame on Youtube, as below.

It has indirectly said that one research confirmed that aspartame is NOT SAFE. I do not know if it is actually true. Nevertheless, 90 countries have found aspartame as safe for human consumption. It's said that aspartame would not be for some people if they have a rare genetic condition. Seemingly, this matter is contradictory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 adammaca

better to stick to natural products milk, lean meats etc. articficial products havn't been around that long therefore we don't know the long term effects it has???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

adammaca wrote: »
    better to stick to natural products milk, lean meats etc. articficial products havn't been around that long therefore we don't know the long term effects it has???

What the hell are you talking about?! Whey is an offshoot of the cheese making process. "curds and whey" ffs.

We know exactly how dangerous tobacco and alcohol are, but no one gives a **** and still drinks and smokes.

Anecdotally high protein diets have been used for a long time, of it was causing kidney and liver meltdown, we'd have seen it by now

Empirically high protein diets have been studied in the 2.5-3g/kg bodyweight range and have shown no negative effects on health markers.

Your comment is nothing but ignorant, baseless scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

You're only 16 OP so not sure how easy it will be to scrape money together for supplements. Any chance you could fire up a typical days diet? If you're like any typical teenager in an Irish home you're probably eating very little protein and fat but a ton of carbs. When the posters here get a good look at your standard food intake we can give you the best advice about supplementing your diet with whey.

As for some of the scaremongering posts here, whey is not dangerous, you get it when you're making cheese and as a result its completely harmless and not 'artifical' in any way. The only reason I have for trying to get protein from other natural sources is I like to get vitamins and minerals from the calories I consume everyday, when I don't get enough protein from other sources I throw some whey into a shaker and get the extra protein when I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

sorry to hijack the thread

is whey protein completely harmless? sorry if this seems a dumb question, I'm a newbie to the world of fitness & nutrition

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    sorry to hijack the thread

is whey protein completely harmless? sorry if this seems a dumb question, I'm a newbie to the world of fitness & nutrition

thanks

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mack_1111

Whey protein is just a refined form of whole food, and you pay a lot for that refinement. It is never better, (but not necessarily worse), than whole food, but at times it is more convenient than whole food. Don't buy into the hype around whey.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

You're only 16 OP so not sure how easy it will be to scrape money together for supplements. Any chance you could fire up a typical days diet? If you're like any typical teenager in an Irish home you're probably eating very little protein and fat but a ton of carbs. When the posters here get a good look at your standard food intake we can give you the best advice about supplementing your diet with whey.

As for some of the scaremongering posts here, whey is not dangerous, you get it when you're making cheese and as a result its completely harmless and not 'artifical' in any way. The only reason I have for trying to get protein from other natural sources is I like to get vitamins and minerals from the calories I consume everyday, when I don't get enough protein from other sources I throw some whey into a shaker and get the extra protein when I need it.

If im not in school ?i would have a big breakfeast, 6 weetabix or 2-3 bowls of cereal a glass of juice and a bit of toast.

Lunch I would have soup or a sandwich

Dinner,, Pasta, meat usually chicken or pork and veg.

supper, could be anything from chips, burger, sausages, rashers, pizza or a wrap.

Would usually have another sandwich or biscuit or something before going to bed

However i go to the gym or else work nearly every weekday after school so my lunch and dinner are all changed.

lunch.. sausage rolls, ham and cheese roll

big lunch... spuds and a bit of chicken and a bit of fruit,

after school,, usually just a bit of fruit to give me energy,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Mack_1111 wrote: »
    Whey protein is just a refined form of whole food, and you pay a lot for that refinement.

so if i bought a kilo of whey for... about €25... that about right? how much would it cost to buy enough chicken fillets or steaks to get the same amount of protein?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Parsley wrote: »
    Mack_1111 wrote: »
    Whey protein is just a refined form of whole food, and you pay a lot for that refinement.

so if i bought a kilo of whey for... about €25... that about right? how much would it cost to buy enough chicken fillets or steaks to get the same amount of protein?

I worked it out a few months ago and it was between 2 and 4 times more expensive. Also €25/kg is extortion, I paid less than €10/kg for whey @ ~82% protein content

I just don't get it. Sandwiches are so delicious. Whey tastes like feet. Why is everyone so keen to consume whey!?

kevpants wrote: »
    I just don't get it. Sandwiches are so delicious. Whey tastes like feet. Why is everyone so keen to consume whey!?

Whey is the outshoot of cheese production. I think I heard that whey is alkaline protein, like tofu and soy. No, I would not agree what you said that everyone is so keen to consume whey, directly because some people can be allergic to it.

By the way, I just ate my fried whey protein sandwiches. I put two white eggs and one whole duck egg onto bowl. Then, I put some organic cinnamon ground and Himalayan rock salts onto this bowl. I stirred it. Then, I put about 15g of chocolate whey protein powder into this bowl. Again, I stirred it. I put some coconut oil onto frying pan. I put two slices of rustic thick toasts onto the bowl until they are softened, soaked and wet. Then, I brought each of thick rustic toast onto this frying pan for about 3-5 minutes until they look golden/little brown and dry. I put some manuka honey onto two fried sandwiches to eat. They are so healthy and delicious. :)

By the way, I just ate my fried whey protein sandwiches. I put two white eggs and one whole duck egg onto bowl. Then, I put some organic cinnamon ground and Himalayan rock salts onto this bowl. I stirred it. Then, I put about 15g of chocolate whey protein powder into this bowl. Again, I stirred it. I put some coconut oil onto frying pan. I put two slices of rustic thick toasts onto the bowl until they are softened, soaked and wet. Then, I brought each of thick rustic toast onto this frying pan for about 3-5 minutes until they look golden/little brown and dry. I put some manuka honey onto two fried sandwiches to eat. They are so healthy and delicious. :)

I just eat a peanut I found on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

So you had fried egg and toast? :D

So you had fried egg and toast? :D

Lol. Yep, you are quite right. However, this recipe is really different to the British culture's traditionally fried egg and toast, as it is a healthier and moderniser alternative. I like duck egg (alkaline) rather than chicken hen (acid). Duck egg has higher benefits rather chicken egg, but is little high in cholesterol. Coconut oil is the healthiest oil on earth and has many health benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

If im not in school ?i would have a big breakfeast, 6 weetabix or 2-3 bowls of cereal a glass of juice and a bit of toast.

Lunch I would have soup or a sandwich

Dinner,, Pasta, meat usually chicken or pork and veg.

supper, could be anything from chips, burger, sausages, rashers, pizza or a wrap.

Would usually have another sandwich or biscuit or something before going to bed

However i go to the gym or else work nearly every weekday after school so my lunch and dinner are all changed.

lunch.. sausage rolls, ham and cheese roll

big lunch... spuds and a bit of chicken and a bit of fruit,

after school,, usually just a bit of fruit to give me energy,

try to have some protein at every meal....couple of eggs on brown bread is better (IMHO) than 6 weetabox.
    Skip the crap snacks... have some unsalted nuts and some fruit and milk instead.
    Cut back on the breads.
    Packet of almonds or unsalted cashews would go a long way to boosting your protein intake for very little money. Packet could last a couple of days.
    Milk should never be far away from you. and unless you have a reason, then it doesn't have to be low fat, full fat should be fine for ya.

Best of luck.

Lift heavy, eat well and the muscles will come.

try to have some protein at every meal....couple of eggs on brown bread is better (IMHO) than 6 weetabox.
    Skip the crap snacks... have some unsalted nuts and some fruit and milk instead.
    Cut back on the breads.
    Packet of almonds or unsalted cashews would go a long way to boosting your protein intake for very little money. Packet could last a couple of days.
    Milk should never be far away from you. and unless you have a reason, then it doesn't have to be low fat, full fat should be fine for ya.

Best of luck.

Lift heavy, eat well and the muscles will come.

And good rest.

I used to eat weetabix's two biscuits when I was younger, but I could not able to eat more than the two weetabix biscuits, unfortunately because they always really coarsed my stomach if I allow eating more than two biscuits. I currently eat porridge every day. They are harmless to my stomach, but they always give me good mood. Porridge can be consumed anytime. I know weetabix is good for bowel, though.

ADLI is the cheapest store I have ever found. Canned tuna with brine cost 69c. Ten large eggs cost €1.89. They do have cheap nuts, especially brazil nuts. Avocado is the most healthiest fat fruit, which is good for the heart. You can allow to eat a plenty of reasonably fat foods unless you are endomorph. Brown bread is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

The tins of tuna in Aldi taste like feet & sawdust.

I'm all for saving some cash & use Lidl & Aldi for veg & bottled water etc but for me, you can't beat John West Tuna.

Advertisement