Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

I'm not suggesting people do this, but...

Wouldn't it be interesting if people 'accidentally' registered incorrect information on the household charge website, multiple times?

How would the government clean up the data? It would be a mess, wouldn't?
    Incidentally, PPS Numbers are easy to create.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Wouldn't it be interesting if people 'accidentally' registered incorrect information on the household charge website, multiple times?

How would the government clean up the data? It would be a mess, wouldn't?
    Incidentally, PPS Numbers are easy to create.

Yeah waste public money and taxpayers money in protest against a tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

[... some silliness ...]

Yes, you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

I think it's time to bid farewell to this thread.
    It's just going around in circles.
    Good luck lads, there's more important things in life.
    Have fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

gerryo777 wrote: »
    I think it's time to bid farewell to this thread.
    It's just going around in circles.
    Good luck lads, there's more important things in life.
    Have fun.

Immm. Escalating tax on each and everyone's home and you have more important things to worry about.

Do you have some sort of life threatening sickness?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Immm. Escalating tax on each and everyone's home and you have more important things to worry about.

Do you have some sort of life threatening sickness?
    I've been on this thread for the last 2 months arguing against this tax, where have you been?
    Your last post on this was 3 weeks ago.
    It's these type of comments that make this thread so boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

dvpower wrote: »
    Yes, you are.

Clearly, I am not. I mentioned this in my post.
    I would not suggest people do this because I might be contravening some contrived law or other.

I am just curious as to what would happen if this course of events unfolded.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Clearly, I am not. I mentioned this in my post.
    I would not suggest people do this because I might be contravening some contrived law or other.

I am just curious as to what would happen if this course of events unfolded.

Why not have a go yourself anyway and tell us how you got on? Here are a few contrived laws you might want to avoid.

http://www.am.qub.ac.uk/users/derek.wilson/contrivedlaws.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

dvpower wrote: »
    Blaming the bankers and bondholders for all of our woes is populist, but misleading.

While recapitalising banks, and repaying bondholders, is not the most immediate of our financial difficulties. They are also indirectly responsible for our domestic problems, because their financial recklessness is what fuelled inflation in the irish housing sector. Which in turn fuelled inflation in our public sector costs, and the cost of living in general. Everyone was trying to play catch-up with the costs of living and housing, therefore demanding higher wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

120,000 have paid and a few hundred bothered to turn out to the day of action, not much support there for the anti tax campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

lividduck wrote: »
    120,000 have paid and a few hundred bothered to turn out to the day of action, not much support there for the anti tax campaign.

Where did only a few hundred only turn up.?
    About 200 turned up in my local 'Ballymearse' parocial hall and similar in a few other meetings i attended else where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Only about 1.5 million to go.........

120,000 have registered, you don't know how many have paid, or how many have registered to claim a waiver.

This is one of those rare situations where in-action speaks louder than words. The handiest protest ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Slick50 wrote: »
    120,000 have registered, you don't know how many have paid, or how many have registered to claim a waiver.

This is one of those rare situations where in-action speaks louder than words. The handiest protest ever.

1.5 million have not registered, you don't know how many of them will pay or how many won't pay.

This is a situation where inaction does not mean anything, easiest decision ever not to part with your money a month ahead of when necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,941 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have no intention of marching or protesting and there are many like me ...... we are just not going to pay.

1.5 million have not registered, you don't know how many of them will pay or how many won't pay.

No I don't, and never claimed to know.
    This is a situation where inaction does not mean anything, easiest decision ever not to part with your money a month ahead of when necessary.

Time will tell on this. But the nays/yeas in this poll are running 60/40, so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Why would anyone march to oppose this? Surely the best form of protest is not paying?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Why would anyone march to oppose this? Surely the best form of protest is not paying?

Well the main reason would be to show other people who are like minded, or even those who may be unsure, and possibly still swaying, that they are not alone.

The government will get the message when they start to count the returns, from this morally wrong, unjust and unfair tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Slick50 wrote: »
    The government will get the message when they start to count the returns, from this morally wrong, unjust and unfair tax.
    It will be forgotten about / abandoned quick enough , like decentralisation. EWven if 300,000 houses pay the 100 euro charge, that will raise only 30,000,000 euro in a whole year. Thats 30 million. To put things in perspective, the government is giving its own employees who are retiring this Spring a total of 600 million in tax-free lump sum gratuities. Just so you know where your 100 quid is going towards.

gigino wrote: »
    It will be forgotten about / abandoned quick enough , like decentralisation. EWven if 300,000 houses pay the 100 euro charge, that will raise only 30,000,000 euro in a whole year. Thats 30 million. To put things in perspective, the government is giving its own employees who are retiring this Spring a total of 600 million in tax-free lump sum gratuities. Just so you know where your 100 quid is going towards.

I think the Public Sector should be disbanded.
    What do you think Gigino ?

• Advertisement

No, but pay and pensions should be halved - to the same as people got in 2002. Everyone in the public service seemed to function ok then. That will save the country 9 billion a year.

No, but pay and pensions should be halved - to the same as people got in 2002. Everyone in the public service seemed to function ok then. That will save the country 9 billion a year.

Will they also half their mortgages, insurance etc ?

some interest rates are half what they were 10 years ago.

by going back to the same wages + pensions of ten years ago will save 9 billion a year

The household charge is chicken feed by comparison.

some interest rates are half what they were 10 years ago.

by going back to the same wages + pensions of ten years ago will save 9 billion a year

The household charge is chicken feed by comparison.

health insurance, heating oil, gas, education fees far more expensive than 10 years ago.

health insurance, heating oil, gas, education fees far more expensive than 10 years ago.
    the taxes on them are higher.
    People in the private sector are not on double what they were on ten years ago, so why should public servants be? The public servants employer - the government - is bust ffs.

Taking a hundred quid of every house will only raise a few hundred million, a drop in the ocean compared to the public service gravy train expenditure each year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

the taxes on them are higher.
    People in the private sector are not on double what they were on ten years ago, so why should public servants be? The public servants employer - the government - is bust ffs.

Taking a hundred quid of every house will only raise a few hundred million, a drop in the ocean compared to the public service gravy train expenditure each year

You have figures to back this up? And you never mentioned inflation cost of living is far higher now than it was ten years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Surely the best form of protest is not paying?
    The anti charge campaign must be hoping this is the case. The turnouts for the protests were very poor.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0225/household.html

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

I'm paying the charge and want every body to pay or get an exemption ...

as I want all those "fuxkers" who have multiple houses rented , and

are claiming the dole / medical cards / fuel allowances/ dental/ etc

identified.....

WE have millionaires with multiple houses and I know some are claiming

the dole / medical card.......its time these super rich were brought to

book....pay the charge and get these rich fuxkers ......exposed.....

if you dont they may never be caught !

First step get everybody registered .........who owns what...

Park Royal wrote: »
    WE have millionaires with multiple houses and I know some are claiming

the dole / medical card.......its time these super rich were brought to

book....
    You should report such people to the social welfare or Revenue Commissioners. If people break the law ( by for example claiming medical card when they should not ) they should be punished. Your 100 quid will not go too far as it is. As pointed out already, even if 300,000 houses pay the 100 euro charge, that will raise only 30,000,000 euro in a whole year. Thats 30 million. To put things in perspective, the government is giving its own employees who are retiring this Spring a total of 600 million in tax-free lump sum gratuities. Just so you know where your 100 quid is going towards. Its going towards some of the millionaires ( some of the top retiring public servants etc ) in the country. Sleep easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

So is your VAT, so is your income tax etc.
    The point is they will find another way to raise the money if the charge isnt paid, like increasing vat/dirt taxes? or reducing further the money to schools so we have to make a bigger voluntary contribution, or by cutting local government spending further.
    One way or another they have tied themselves to the rock of austerity and will have to get that money by some means.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement