Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Or you could alternatively argue that those that paid crazy amounts of stamp duty enabled the govt to go crazy increasing current spending, thus contributing to the current problem.

Seems only fair they should pay property tax too.

Now, that's funny!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

mikom wrote: »
    Shite arguement.
    It's got everything to do with 2013 2014, 2015,............ and some in employment and paying it this year may be unemployed next year.
    What a difference a year makes........

They are saying they 'cannot afford' 100quid despite the fact they can. No point discussing 2013, its obvious it will go up. The current account deficit has to be narrowed.
    Pity there is a sizeable portion of the population who wish Ireland to go the way of Greece, a totally selfish attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭sonic85

the people currently in goverment are a massive part of the problems were facing.

speaking for my own locality theres a mickey mouse local councillor going out to the US tonight for five days for paddys day. im sure other people would be able to come up with many more examples of this kind of wastage.

its a pure fcuking disgrace that these nobs can go off on a jolly and then come back here and start preaching to us about austerity.

maybe its pointless expenditure like this that needs to be looked at first and foremost before we try robbing more money from people.

golfwallah wrote: »

Some peoples' protest posts are very ill-informed and based on a purely emotional reaction to the economic screw-up we are all contributing to fix right now.

About 25% of people expect homeowners to pay their contribution for their 'local services'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

robbie7730 wrote: »
    If a citizen pays a hefty lumpsum of tax, you now say they should be held accountable for the governments irresponsible use of that tax?

Such rubbish.

Yep, though I prefer to call it by it's catchier name, 'Democracy'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

No, you don't know anyone who'll admit to paying it to your face.

Is that so?? and why is this?? A tax that is very important and should be paid + its the law yet people are embarrassed to admit they paid??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

gerryo777 wrote: »
    About 25% of people expect homeowners to pay their contribution for their 'local services'.

What local services?

golfwallah wrote: »
    The bulk of debt in this country relates to day to day state and local authority spending.

For example, last time I looked at the audited accounts of Fingal County Council, they had borrowings in the region of €460 Million as at end December 2010.

Without central Government guarantees that these loans will be re-paid, this council and many more beside would be financially insolvent and have to start laying off staff and selling its assets.

You either accept democracy or you don't and I, for one, would prefer the rule of law to the kind of mass civil disobedience you seem to be advocating by refusing to pay taxes levied through legitimate democratic process.

If we don't levy the cost of re-paying loans on the taxpayer or drastically reduce public spending by about 40% and don't suddenly discover gold or oil, what alternative are you offering to keep the country together?

Ah yes, Fingal County Council, the same council that paid €450,000.00 for a house in the country for a family of 'travellers' who had been housed in a council house in Skerries for 30 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

gurramok wrote: »
    They are saying they 'cannot afford' 100quid despite the fact they can. No point discussing 2013, its obvious it will go up. The current account deficit has to be narrowed.
    Pity there is a sizeable portion of the population who wish Ireland to go the way of Greece, a totally selfish attitude.

So there is no one in the country that cant afford more taxes?

booboo88 wrote: »
    What local services?

I don't know, but apparently people who rent don't use them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

According to RTE news is evening 85% still to pay charge...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭soupdrinker

I'm in the 'don't know if I will pay' category.

Prior to this I have always paid my taxes but there is something about this tax that really annoys me.

One issue I have is, if I register with my name and RSI no (even though its a jointly owned property), I will be opening myself up to be fully liable for all future household/property taxes on this properly. The other owner won't have any liability at all - is this fair?

Don't want to be subject to further penalties after March TBH...the problem with this charge is that it's a makey uppy excuse for a tax...what next....a tax on owning a car???

Well, don't laugh...the principle is the exact same....it's just another way of getting people to pay money who are easily organised through an excel spreadsheet ...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

So there is no one in the country that cant afford more taxes?

I did not say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

I'm in the 'don't know if I will pay' category.

Prior to this I have always paid my taxes but there is something about this tax that really annoys me.

One issue I have is, if I register with my name and RSI no (even though its a jointly owned property), I will be opening myself up to be fully liable for all future household/property taxes on this properly. The other owner won't have any liability at all - is this fair?

Exactly, you hit the nail on the head and thats the reason why me + nearly 1.4 million people so far are not paying!!

Like the water charges this can be defeated if everyone stands up and says no!! Your home is yours you paid for it all your life with no help from government now they want you to pay out money to pay for the crimes of the scum of this country and because you own your own home?? Fck off the lot of them!!

Start looking elsewhere to get money they aint getting it from me anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MaxyJazz

And I'm sure the Germans give all the bankers bonuses like we do,I'm sure the Germans have a vrt system like we do,I'm sure the Germans spend €34 million euros on hospital planning , we should do as the Germans ask/tell us what to do....

Yep, though I prefer to call it by it's catchier name, 'Democracy'.

O yea, that belief that everyone is responsible for its governments actions, simply because they elected that governmant, even if the individual did not vote for them.

But thats a seperate item.

You really believe that a person that paid property tax already as stamp duty, deserves to pay more now, because its their own fault for paying that stamp duty to a government that squandered it?

Sounds like your suggesting paying the stamp duty was a mistake.

A good arguement for not paying this property tax so, in case the current goverment squander this too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I spoke to a guy not half an hour ago who requested that a registration form be sent to him. He was going to pay up til he spotted that the small print on his standing order stated (and i paraphrase from memory). '
    'The amount charged to this account can be altered upwards annually with no notification to the payee'

We are no longer citizens. We are walking ATM's for the benefit of bond holders who dont accept that they lost a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 zumi

Scaremongering??
    Thats one of many REAL LIVE law practitioners who makes a damn good living out of people in dire situations about to loose their homes from OVERDUE PROPERTY TAX.
    Do you think the Government will ignore outstanding tax?
    Ask anyone who has dealings with the Dept. of Revenue, they'll tell you that they take it quite seriously and don't take IOU's.
    If you can't afford to pay your outstanding propery tax obviously you are having financial difficulty,
    your house if it has equity in it....that will be the target and it will be sold if you can't pay.

Your right, there isn't legislation but it won't take long and its a few strokes of a pen and its passed unnoposed by our friends who brought in the tax in the first place.

We are no longer citizens. We are walking ATM's for the benefit of bond holders who dont accept that they lost a gamble.

And this is the problem many have. It is a free, open, no link to a persons financial situation, cash extraction.

Notice how many times the pro people have mentioned the paltry €100, and next years amount is not relevant.

• Advertisement

I spoke to a guy not half an hour ago who requested that a registration form be sent to him. He was going to pay up til he spotted that the small print on his standing order stated (and i paraphrase from memory). '
    'The amount charged to this account can be altered upwards annually with no notification to the payee.

Them the rules of direct debits.....similar to utility bills...I.e ..once you give permission to access your account to withdraw funds, if the prices/charges go up...you're screwed.....and gotta pay....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

@jumi ^^ So pay your taxes so, if you think the alternative is risking your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Cicero wrote: »
    Them the rules of direct debits.....similar to utility bills...I.e ..once you give permission to access your account to withdraw funds, if the prices/charges go up...you're screwed.....and gotta pay....
    Exactly. This is how direct debits always worked.
    You don't have to pay by DD. If you want you can just pay the charge by credit card.

dvpower wrote: »
    ^^ So pay your taxes so, if you think the alternative is risking your home.

A fair few peoples homes are already at risk, before any new taxes come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

And this is the problem many have. It is a free, open, no link to a persons financial situation, cash extraction.

Notice how many times the pro people have mentioned the paltry €100, and next years amount is not relevant.

Also notice with the low numbers registered, all of a sudden there,s a few more extra pro property tax posters on this thread,

Exactly. This is how direct debits always worked.
    You don't have to pay by DD. If you want you can just pay the charge by credit card.

Sure, stick it on the credit card!
    Isn't that part of the reason we're in the mess we're in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

@jumi ^^ So pay your taxes so, if you think the alternative is risking your home.

Translation pay your rent money to your new landlord, the goverment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Household charge? What household charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Ah sure yeh, like the Revenue might just forget about it, even though they are legally obliged to collect all tax owed to them and enacted in law.

It would in fact be illegal for Revenue not to collect tax.

And I also know, like a previous poster mentioned, that if there is one thing Revenue like doing, it's collecting tax, every last cent of it. They don't get their bonuses and promotions if they don't.

Anyone who thinks the IMF, FF/FG or Revenue are simply going to drop this or forget about non payers are naive. They will be pursued to the bitter end.

Whether 1% decline to pay or 99% decline to pay, they are still in the wrong and acting illegally.

We need more tax, simple as that. They cannot keep caving in to populist demands, because otherwise our national debt just keeps growing.

Already the generation of 45-60 year olds handed a sh*te economy to their children largely through voting for FF/PDs, availing of bench marking and SSIAs, and any number of freebies and handouts.

Now they want to give even more problems to their children, a massive national debt mountain.

And yes, that 45-60 year old generation, very few are innocent, despite their claims. Most of them either voted FF/PD, bought and invested in property pushing up the prices, took out an SSIA, or availed of bench marking to feather their nest. Eveyone is guilty in small or large measure for Ireland's crisis.

And you perpetuate that guilt further by not paying taxes like the property tax.

I'm sick to death of hearing people say "well I did nothing wrong". It's bullsh*t.

• Advertisement

plasmaguy wrote: »

I'm sick to death of hearing people say "well I did nothing wrong". It's bullsh*t.

And what did the average person do wrong? I can tell you what, buy a house.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement