Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,030 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Am Chile wrote: »
    Also notice with the low numbers registered, all of a sudden there,s a few more extra pro property tax posters on this thread,

A while ago it was just everyone saying to each other Don't Register Don't Pay and denouncing anyone who dared disagree as sheep or morons. It makes for a more interesting discussion when there are a variety of views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭TreesAreCrowd

Also notice with the low numbers registered, all of a sudden there,s a few more extra pro property tax posters on this thread,
    You said something like this yesterday also. You need to calm down, quit the reefer and stop reading abovetopsecret buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

robbie7730 wrote: »
    And what did the average person do wrong? I can tell you what, buy a house.

Who did you vote for in elections in the last 20 years. Be honest.

All the political parties are guilty of undermining this country and all those who voted and empowered them are equally so.

You cannot vote for someone and then say, its not my fault. Take some responsibility at least.

Anyone who voted for one of the main parties, anyone who took out an SSIA, anyone who pocket benchmarking money or who bought an investment property contributed in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

You said something like this yesterday also. You need to calm down, quit the reefer and stop reading abovetopsecret buddy.
    What?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A while ago it was just everyone saying to each other Don't Register Don't Pay and denouncing anyone who dared disagree as sheep or morons. It makes for a more interesting discussion when there are a variety of views.

Well the best view i seen in a while was about it being peoples own fault for paying large tax lump sums, and so they deserve to pay the new extra tax on the same property now. And linking it to democracy.

Most amusing i seen an quite a while.

Almost as good as the governments leaflet telling me i had until Feb 29th to set up a direct debit, but the leaflet arrived on march 5th.

That of course is my own fault to, due to democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

zumi wrote: »
    Scaremongering??
    Thats one of many REAL LIVE law practitioners who makes a damn good living out of people in dire situations about to loose their homes from OVERDUE PROPERTY TAX.
    Do you think the Government will ignore outstanding tax?
    Ask anyone who has dealings with the Dept. of Revenue, they'll tell you that they take it quite seriously and don't take IOU's.
    If you can't afford to pay your outstanding propery tax obviously you are having financial difficulty,
    your house if it has equity in it....that will be the target and it will be sold if you can't pay.

Your right, there isn't legislation but it won't take long and its a few strokes of a pen and its passed unnoposed by our friends who brought in the tax in the first place.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Property law in the US is nothing like property law and private property rights in Ireland.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    And what did the average person do wrong? I can tell you what, buy a house.

Suppose we could sell our houses Robbie, become 'homeless', get a council house for f**k all per week and not be liable for the household tax.
    Sorted!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

so.

whats the odds of 1.4 million signing up in two weeks ?

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I really hope revenue and the government go after every last tax evader including the ones on this thread.

Anyways, I'm quitting this thread now.

You can only get so far with economic illiterates. They always have to learn the hard way, just as the people of Greece had to learn the hard way.

What happened to Greece is going to happen to Ireland in 4-5 years the way we are going, when our national debt is above 300 billion.

But hey at least I will have a good paying job and a nice house and all that. It's the public sector workers I'd be worried about, and the pensioners and those on social welfare.

But they asked for it, they refused to pay when asked, so I and many others will not feel sorry for them in a few years, when the sh*t really hits the fan, and all because they wouldn't pay their property tax.

Bring it on I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

The charge should just be levied on electricity bills (increased public service charge of eur17 every two months). That would sort it out for once and for all.

• Advertisement

so.

I predicted way back that 58% would pay by 31 March. Would you care to make a prediction yourself?

plasmaguy wrote: »
    I really hope revenue and the government go after every last tax evader including the ones on this thread.

Anyways, I'm quitting this thread now.

You can only get so far with economic illiterates. They always have to learn the hard way, just as the people of Greece had to learn the hard way.

What happened to Greece is going to happen to Ireland in 4-5 years the way we are going, when our national debt is above 300 billion.

But hey at least I will have a good paying job and a nice house and all that. It's the public sector workers I'd be worried about, and the pensioners and those on social welfare.

But they asked for it, they refused to pay when asked, so I and many others will not feel sorry for them in a few years, when the sh*t really hits the fan, and all because they wouldn't pay their property tax.

Bring it on I say.

You'll be back, this thread is like hotel california, you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave! Later....

Who did you vote for in elections in the last 20 years. Be honest.

It was never FF or FG anyway. Am i exempt from blame now? Somehow i doubt you will say i am, so the question is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

There was another country, I can't remember the name of it now offhand.

They wouldn't pay their taxes in full. They said it was stupid to pay taxes. And they blamed a golden circle, and also the fact that no-one else paid their taxes, as the reason no-one should pay taxes. In the end they ran out of money and had to go begging to the IMF for a dig out.

Oh what was their name again...oh yeh now, I remember...it was Greece...wonder how that rebellion against paying taxes turned out for them...

If you think the austerity the IMF is rightly imposing on us now to force us to close the gap between our current account spending and revenue is bad, if we stop paying taxes, it will be ten times worse, on the scale of that of the Greeks.

Plasma guy, you're arguments are some of the most ridiculous and blinkered I've come across on boards. Which is saying something.

I think you will find that the Irish people are far more sophisticated than you give them credit for and that the vast majority have no problem paying taxes which they see as fair and equitable. This is not one of them in many peoples eyes.

Simply because something is "the law" is not a good enough reason to blindly do as you are told. For a long time in Ireland it was the law that homosexuality was illegal and it was the law that contraception was illegal. If people didn't challenge the law the Republic of Ireland would not even exist today.

Scaremongering and trying to hold Greece up as an example of what Ireland will become is childish in the extreme. Ireland is not Greece, Irish people are not the same as the Greeks. This is evidenced in the way in which the majority of people have conducted themselves in relation to the majority of the austerity measures.

Your contempt for the intelligence of your fellow citizens or their right to express their opinions is pathetic. The government is there to serve the people, claims that they can't be seen to be populist are silly.

From what I can see most people don't have a problem with paying a charge for the provision of local services. This isn't it. The no-campaigners see this as an unjust charge which is being introduced in a deliberately underhand and dishonest way.

Your cries of but how will be pay the deficit ring hollow. There are other ways.

I predicted way back that 58% would pay by 31 March. Would you care to make a prediction yourself?

shure why not.

i'd say 30% will be stupid enough to cough up the money.

The charge should just be levied on electricity bills (increased public service charge of eur17 every two months). That would sort it out for once and for all.

What about the renters? How could you tell the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Strange timing with low numbers registered, all of a sudden you re back after a few weeks absense.

You can only get so far with economic illiterates. They always have to learn the hard way

Sounds like you`ll be around with baseball bats there.

Maybe you can take my LCD tv and upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

mconigol wrote: »

Scaremongering and trying to hold Greece up as an example of what Ireland will become is childish in the extreme. Ireland is not Greece, Irish people are not the same as the Greeks. This is evidenced in the way in which the majority of people have conducted themselves in relation to the majority of the austerity measures. .

What austerity? The worse has not even hit us yet, thats why there has been no Greek style protest yet. The govt used a reduction in Capital spending in order to help reduce the deficit. We have the CPA and social welfare has been light touched.

Get your head out of the sand, the worst has yet to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 zumi

As a self-employed worker I pay shedloads of tax. Im up to date and have always paid along with the VAT returns.
    Here's another way of extracting more, then there is the septic tank charge and the water charges. The property tax is going to keep increasing.... When is it going to end?? I just want to be able to live in peace when i retire and don't want to have to worry about losing my home if I can't pay my property tax.
    Can't anyone understand whats going on here?

• Advertisement

gerryo777 wrote: »
    What about the renters? How could you tell the difference?

I wouldn't. They should pay it.

shure why not.

i'd say 30% will be stupid enough to cough up the money.

Or savvy enough to gives themselve peace of mind for the next 9 months for €100 and not rack up unnecessay fines and interest.

Strange timing with low numbers registered, all of a sudden you re back after a few weeks absense.

Was away on holidays in the sun for a while (not that it was as warm as it shud be), and also just got bored with the same arguments over and over again. Good to see a few new people on now, and it's getting exciting now!!!!

Or savvy enough to gives themselve peace of mind for the next 9 months for €100 and not rack up unnecessay fines and interest.

ha sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Quite a few people get their power turned off every week, some need help from the likes of community welfare to help pay their bills. Guess community welfare will have to find the extra money to pay this charge as well...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

so.

You re figure is wrong.
    €100 charge to hit 1.8m households

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/100-charge-to-hit-18m-households-162355.html

Whats the odds of 1.6 million signing up within the next two weeks?

zumi wrote: »
    As a self-employed worker I pay shedloads of tax. Im up to date and have always paid along with the VAT returns.
    Here's another way of extracting more, then there is the septic tank charge and the water charges. The property tax is going to keep increasing.... When is it going to end?? I just want to be able to live in peace when i retire and don't want to have to worry about losing my home if I can't pay my property tax.
    Can't anyone understand whats going on here?

There is a once off septic tank inspection charge of €5 or €50. If your installation is causing pollution you should fix it, I don't see anything unfair about that. No water charges yet and nobody knows what the property tax will be. So for €105 you can sleep easy for the next 9 months. You did the right thing by paying your taxes to date, take a look at the defaulters list published today to see how much some of the clever ones who tried to get away with it had to pay in the end.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Suppose we could sell our houses Robbie, become 'homeless', get a council house for f**k all per week and not be liable for the household tax.
    Sorted!:D

Yes, looking like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

gurramok wrote: »
    What austerity? The worse has not even hit us yet, thats why there has been no Greek style protest yet. The govt used a reduction in Capital spending in order to help reduce the deficit. We have the CPA and social welfare has been light touched.

Get your head out of the sand, the worst has yet to come.

That the only thing you could challenge in my entire post? That's saying something.

If you don't think there has been austerity then it is you who has their head in the sand.

• Advertisement

You re figure is wrong.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/100-charge-to-hit-18m-households-162355.html

Whats the odds of 1.6 million signing up within the next two weeks?

thats ALL house's including the social ones.

(least thats what the media says)

and theyre exempt so it drops down to circa 1.4 once you exclude those that paid up already.

TBH this is one of the great laughs of this whole affair.

these feckers cant even tell you definitvely how many households there are !

so its a guessing game.

thats one of the reason they started this whole database to begin with.

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement