Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Judges prosecute people now?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

I voted yes as I need my Tax Clearance Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Have you seen any of the corrupt bank bosses, property speculators or politicians who caused this mess sent to jail yet? The answer is No and that won't change.

As far as I'm aware, none have yet appeared before a Judge as no prosecutions have yet been brought - unless you can point me in the direction of some judgements that have been handed down recently in relation ot the mis-management of the banking sector, I fail to see how this in any way backs up your particular theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

As far as I'm aware, none have yet appeared before a Judge as no prosecutions have yet been brought - unless you can point me in the direction of some judgements that have been handed down recently in relation ot the mis-management of the banking sector, I fail to see how this in any way backs up your particular theory.

No you have not seen anyone up in court and neither have I. I don't think we will either. BUT someone who refuses/can't afford to pay this "corrupt tax" as it is in my opinion, will certainly be prosecuted. Wait and see. Democracy my arse.

No you have not seen anyone up in court and neither have I. I don't think we will either. BUT someone who refuses/can't afford to pay this "corrupt tax" as it is in my opinion, will certainly be prosecuted. Wait and see. Democracy my arse.

Your posts are beginning to make less and less sense - your initial problem with our democracy seemed to be concerned with the separation of the judiciary and legislature, yet you've provided no examples to demonstrate this failing.
    Now you've switched tack to complain that people who don't pay the tax will be prosecuted - I don't see how prosecuting people for failing to pay a legally implemented tax is an example of a failure of democracy either.

Seems to me you're using the whole 'Democracy my arse' line as a cheap piece of sloganeering.

• Advertisement

Your posts are beginning to make less and less sense - your initial problem with our democracy seemed to be concerned with the separation of the judiciary and legislature, yet you've provided no examples to demonstrate this failing.
    Now you've switched tack to complain that people who don't pay the tax will be prosecuted - I don't see how prosecuting people for failing to pay a legally implemented tax is an example of a failure of democracy either.

Seems to me you're using the whole 'Democracy my arse' line as a cheap piece of sloganeering.

My posts make as much sense as yours do.
    You want the ordinary man to pay for everything and let the knobs away free.
    The ordinary middle class worker has NOTHING left to give.
    My post said that the law is always applied to the little man and rarely to the big man. That's how I see it, hence the democracy "my arse" bit.
    Maybe you would explain how all the people who caused the banking collapse are still at large while people are being sent to court/jail for failing to pay a fine and others have houses re-possessed because they are unable to pay their mortgage.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

My post said that the law is always applied to the little man and rarely to the big man. That's how I see it, hence the democracy "my arse" bit.
    Maybe you would explain how all the people who caused the banking collapse are still at large while people are being sent to court/jail for failing to pay a fine and others have houses re-possessed because they are unable to pay their mortgage.

the ordinary mans case is alot simpler... thats the difference

the ordinary mans case is alot simpler... thats the difference

In a Democracy that should not be the case.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Part of the problem is proving they even did anything wrong. As a nation we consistently voted for parties that advocated light touch financial regulation. That's democracy for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

The separation of powers between the legislature and the judiciary is one of the cornerstones of democracy - if you really believe that that separation doesn't exist, then you don't believe Ireland is a real democracy.

That's my entire point. In my experience Ireland is a not a real democracy, its a plutocracy.
    I used to be very patriotic untill I got my eyes opened. The war of indepedence was a sham to swap corrupt opressors with English accects for corrupt opressors with Irish ones.

Now my country is me and my famaily.

Personally, I've seen no evidence when it comes to judicial interpretation of statute law, that judges will do the bidding of their appointees - but then maybe I'm just not being cynical enough.

Lucky you, and I mean that. Unfortunately I've seen close family been destroyed by members of the golden circle in an extremely underhand manner when their house of cards was threatened.

• Advertisement

Saying something doesn't necessarily make it true.

Please provide a link to where I made this statement, then refer to point 1 above.

Some do, some don't, you're quite fond of sweeping generalisations.

Gladly, no one has yet been convicted in a court of law, there's an on-going investigation, would you like to do away with due process?

Democracy my arse indeed.

Saying something doesn't necessarily make it true.

Please provide a link to where I made this statement, then refer to point 1 above.

Some do, some don't, you're quite fond of sweeping generalisations.

Gladly, no one has yet been convicted in a court of law, there's an on-going investigation, would you like to do away with due process?

Democracy my arse indeed.

Nothing new there. You have your opinions and I have mine. Democracy is not working as well here as you seem to think. Since this whole banking crisis began there have been many people who lost their homes and many of their cases have gone through the courts too BUT not one banker in court yet never mind tried and convicted. Its not good enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

N Its not good enough.

you dont understand the conviction process for a large case, the legal system is very complicated and there is vast amounts of information to go through

you dont understand the conviction process for a large case, the legal system is very complicated and there is vast amounts of information to go through

I can indeed see that it is complicated but to many people like me it's part of the problem. It should have had more resources put into it to allow people see that something is happening.
    It will probably turn out a bit like the Tribunals where people have forgotten what they were about by the time they end, and probably designed for that to happen. I do not think (nor do many other people i meet) that the Big Boys will do any time behind bars. Just look at the incompetent Banking Regulator who was given a big retirement lump sum and a huge pension and let ride off into the night after being seen to be useless and maybe even complicit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Yeah that would explain why they gave Anglo 6 months to shred all their documents, remove evidence, and fudge the paper trail before the Gardai were granted a warrent to raid the office. Seanie, Fingers, Bertie etc. know where all the bodies are buried, and the golden circle will close ranks and agree a deal with them, not because they have any time for them, but because they have to. Hence the delay, the deal has not yet been struck.

Seanie, the designated, sideshow fall guy, after a very expensive legal process designed to make the connected lawyers in this country millions more, will get a suspended sentence at best and then retire to a Caribbean paradise with his pals to count our money.

On December 9 2008 Madoff's sons reported their father to federal authorities. On December 11, 2008, he was arrested and charged. On June 29, 2009, he was sentenced to 150 years in prison, the maximum allowed

So please don't dare try to insult our intelligence and patronise us. Justice delayed is justice denied.

Yeah that would explain why they gave Anglo 6 months to shred all their documents, remove evidence, and fudge the paper trail before the Gardai were granted a warrent to raid the office. Seanie, Fingers, Bertie etc. know where all the bodies are buried, and the golden circle will close ranks and agree a deal with them, not because they have any time for them, but because they have to. Hence the delay, the deal has not yet been struck.

Seanie, the designated, sideshow fall guy, after a very expensive legal process designed to make the connected lawyers in this country millions more, will get a suspended sentence at best and then retire to a Caribbean paradise with his pals to count our money.

On December 9 2008 Madoff's sons reported their father to federal authorities. On December 11, 2008, he was arrested and charged. On June 29, 2009, he was sentenced to 150 years in prison, the maximum allowed

So please don't dare try to insult our intelligence and patronise us. Justice delayed is justice denied.

I love the way Seanie comes out of the Garda stations and gets into an auld banger just for the t.v. viewers. I bet the limo is parked around the corner with Bertie and a few of their friends in the back ready to head off for a celebration ... all on us idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pat40433

I wont be paying it - ill see how this whole saga pans put - I have enough tax paid on my house already - plus the roadway that serves my estate has not being repaired by the council for as long as I have lived here (7-8 years). So much for using planning development fees for infrastructure improvement works/repairs etc.

Time the middle class workers stood up for some principles - middle class workers pay almost enough weekly tax to support 1 unemployed person every week. This government might as well put leeches on people backs so they can bleed them dry slowly, sur us stupid tax payers wont notice 1/2 leeches.

Where are the job creation incentives Enda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Is it not your "right" to own a house.

of course not

where did yu get that crazy idea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Bodhran

I've just registered for and paid the household charge. It's relatively simple to register but not the most "user friendly" site I've ever used.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BabeeB

I Shall Not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Paid today... (use your tesco Visa atleast you get points back)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

lol at all the keyboard warriors sticking it to the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'll sort mine on pay day. A bit skint after Christmas but I pay all my bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I paid it today. The rest of you working class heros will pay it in March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

I wasnt going to pay it. But its easier to pay it than not pay it. When I see the politicians go to jail for not paying then i'll believe them and will follow them into not paying next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BabeeB

this is all so through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Yes I suppose I will pay it, not like I have a choice or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 coco66

Hi ,this is my first time commenting on bulletin boards,but am a regular reader for knowledge and advice.I wonder are the numbers that have paid the Household Charge reported by the various news stations being massaged by the Department involved,the numbers jumped from 700 at 11.00am paid up,to 4844 paid and 1200 homes registered at 18.30 this evening.Could this all be propaganda, or have that many households got this money lying around 1 week after xmas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

^
    I paid by credit card.

Conspiracy theories --->

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

its all ok paying the hundred euro this year but wait until the new system comes in for next year and we'll all be paying 300 400 or even 500 euros, once your registered on their system you will have no escape

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement