Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

alastair wrote: »
    Thing is - we do.

Don't register - pay later.

Not a Hope boy. And nobody else I know is going to either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sounds good - another battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I thought you were saying there is a tax for owning a car, my mistake.

There's an obvious exemption for garden ornaments.
    Convert your home to a rollercoaster and you'll get the same deal.

You need a licence and safety clearance cert for that.
    Too much blue red tape.

So its not a positive equity tax, its a tax based on other countries also having it.

Its a property tax - and a model of taxation that has proved successful for pretty much every other country. But they may well have all got it wrong. Just like those who take their cars out on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You don't know what any tax rates will be down the line. This one is no different in that regard. And tbh - you don't get to pick and choose which other taxes you like, so why believe you can with this one? You say you're in favour of the water tax - but we don't know what that's going to cost us either.

If you don't like it - vote for the crowd that promise to get rid of it when they get into power.

But if i knew it was going to be on a % rather than a flat rate, decided by someone with more money than knowledge of average wage income, it would be easier to accept.

And i could choose certain taxes i don't want to pay by not having the item/service which can be taxed, ie: motorbike motor tax, life insurance, pension, etc.

And i could choose certain taxes i don't want to pay by not having the item/service which can be taxed, ie: motorbike motor tax, life insurance, pension, etc.

Countdown to a shill telling you you have the option to rent in .....5.......4.....3....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I reckon if you -

Disregarded all posts that describe pro-property tax posters as 'Goverenment Shills'.
    Disregard any post which brags about the current numbers who haven't registered.
    Disregard any post which says we should tell the Bankers/IMF/Germans/Bondholders to **** off without proposing an alternative;

You'd be left with about a hundred anti-household tax posts in a 5,000 post thread.

But if i knew it was going to be on a % rather than a flat rate, decided by someone with more money than knowledge of average wage income, it would be easier to accept.

You can rent - perfectly viable alternative to owning.
    It's already been made clear that it won't be a flat rate - we just don't know the mechanism that will be used for devising the tiers. I'd have preferred the tiered system from the get-go, but I've no reason to believe that they would opt for a higher flat rate in preference for a tiered system - which should bring higher revenues.

I reckon if you -

Disregarded all posts that describe pro-property tax posters as 'Goverenment Shills'.
    Disregard any post which brags about the current numbers who haven't registered.
    Disregard any post which says we should tell the Bankers/IMF/Germans/Bondholders to **** off without proposing an alternative;

You'd be left with about a hundred anti-household tax posts in a 5,000 post thread.

About the same percentage as the amount who have signed up for the household charge so far.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Was talking to the mother this morning and both parents are OAP's. Mam doesn't want to pay it but my Dad being a worrier and the threat of court action just wants to pay it. So they are just going to pay it now. It is terrible scaremongering people into this position.

mikom wrote: »
    About the same percentage as the amount who have signed up for the household charge so far.......

mikom wrote: »
    Countdown to a shill telling you you have the option to rent in .....5.......4.....3....

I was renting, and i decided to buy as the repayments were only €100 a month more than what i was paying in rent. Then, a few years later i find out that i'm going to end up paying a helluva lot more all of a sudden. If i could rewind time, i would not have bought knowing this.

Don't Register - Abolish the whole fiasco

No roots - just rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I think most people would assume that wealth is derived from positive equity, and not the absense of said equity? But yes. Yes I do.
    But the tax is not based on equity what so ever. Its you that claims it is. The tier system will be almost certainly based on market value. Not equity.
    What's the equity in your car (once you bother to tax it again)? You feel it shouldn't be a taxable asset because it's worth less than you paid for it?
    Bother to tax it again? Are you trying to suggest something there?

Point out where i said a car should not be taxable?. Its not taxed based on equity. Neither are houses. A car is not taxed based on ownership either. Homes are.
    Again - we don't know what waivers will apply when the actual, tiered rates come into play. It may well be the case that those in negative equity will be exempt. Again - most people in negative equity will not remain in negative equity for ever, and the vast majority of home owners are currently not in negative equity.

Vast majority is not a valid statement really. There are likely a substantial amount that are negative. If a house comes out of negative equity, it will be from the owners paying their way out. And then pay a 500 euro tax on an equity of a few hundred euros.

A fair point, if negative equity homes are exempt. But i would seriously doubt that will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Odats wrote: »
    Was talking to the mother this morning and both parents are OAP's. Mam doesn't want to pay it but my Dad being a worrier and the threat of court action just wants to pay it. So they are just going to pay it now. It is terrible scaremongering people into this position.
    Mine are the same but Mam is the worrier :( I think a lot of our parents generation have the same mentality about paying everything upfront and in full. My mother couldnt believe when I moved out and paid my ESB bill in installments, or paid half when I got the bill and the other half on the due date. It's up there with having 6 months supply of coffee and washing powder :o

There's an obvious exemption for garden ornaments.

Well we know your just trying to look cool to the other yes posters with the drive around the garden, and now the above. The car is off the road for a reason.

And while it is, i am getting no threats and bills to pay tax on it. Thats because it has no ownership tax on it, unlike the home owner tax you compare it to.

I was renting, and i decided to buy as the repayments were only €100 a month more than what i was paying in rent. Then, a few years later i find out that i'm going to end up paying a helluva lot more all of a sudden. If i could rewind time, i would not have bought knowing this.

All you know so far is it's going to cost you 8 euro a month or thereabouts. Even with the tiered system, you'll likely suffer more from interest rate changes. I think the burden of the tax is the least of your worries if you were buying on the basis of a comparison with rent at one moment in time.

Well we know your just trying to look cool to the other yes posters with the drive around the garden, and now the above. The car is off the road for a reason.

And while it is, i am getting no threats and bills to pay tax on it.

Because as long as it remains a garden ornament, it's not liable for tax - see rollercoaster strategy to avoid household charge bills. Happy to help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

A few of the Trade Unions have upped their game now in urging the public to not pay.
    Des Derwin from The Dublin Council of trade Unions describing it as a 'Stealth tax'

More here from the Irish Examiner....

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/trade-unions-join-campaign-against-household-charge-544204.html
    A national protest organised by opponents to the charge will take place at the National Stadium on Saturday.

Des Derwin from the Dublin Council of Trade Unions admits his organisation is asking its members to defy the law.

"It's always been a tradition… that (the breaking of) certain laws and civil disobedience have had their place so it's in that tradition," he said.

"And part of this is that we are against the household and water charge," he added.

"We regard it as a stealth tax, another charge on workers."

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/trade-unions-join-campaign-against-household-charge-544204.html#ixzz1p607ps7a

Its a sinking ship guys.....

Women and Children first!:D

All you know so far is it's going to cost you 8 euro a month or thereabouts. Even with the tiered system, you'll likely suffer more from interest rate changes. I think the burden of the tax is the least of your worries if you were buying on the basis of a comparison with rent at one moment in time.

But if they were going to start with making it a percentage, we could fight for that percentage to be tied to the value of the house. As it stands, they can decide what it is and change it whenever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭leedslad

Paddy147 banned.

Complains about standards.

Doesn't report the post.
    Apologies for not following proper protocol.

Because as long as it remains a garden ornament, it's not liable for tax

Which makes it different from a property tax. Empty ones are still lible. Therefore motor tax =/= property tax.
    see rollercoaster strategy to avoid household charge bills. Happy to help!
    Thanks

Which makes it different from a property tax. Empty ones are still lible. Therefore motor tax =/= property tax.

Thanks

Garden ornament =/= functional car.

Thanks for the insight that motor tax isn't the same as property tax. You're liable for both though - unless you favour owning useless assets (immobile cars, uninhabitable houses).

But if they were going to start with making it a percentage, we could fight for that percentage to be tied to the value of the house. As it stands, they can decide what it is and change it whenever they want.

They could change the percentage down the line too. Or you could quibble with their property valuation mechanism. I'm not seeing a scenario that would suit you better in any meaningful sense.

Ghandee wrote: »
    A few of the Trade Unions have upped their game now in urging the public to not pay.
    Des Derwin from The Dublin Council of trade Unions describing it as a 'Stealth tax'

More here from the Irish Examiner....

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/trade-unions-join-campaign-against-household-charge-544204.html

Its a sinking ship guys.....

Women and Children first!:D

I look forward to this national protest show of strength by the campaign. It should highlight the numbers actively opposed to payment. I'll be interested for sure. Capacity of the National Stadium is all of 2,000! There's clear ambition.

And then we'll return to the reality that the thing will still need to be paid.

Don't register, pay later.

Don't register, never pay

Keep your mantra going, it won't work. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I look forward to this show of strength by the campaign. It should highlight the numbers actively opposed to payment. I'll be interested for sure.

And then we'll return to the reality that the thing will still need to be paid.

Although exempt from the charge for this year, (didnt stop a certain FG councillor from calling to our exempt estate, urging us to register though)I'll attend the protest.

The true protest though has been taking place since Jan, and with 11 days left to go, over 1.5million have 'protested' by doing the simplest thing they can do, which is not paid (nor registered)

1.5 million, 11 days to go.... 136,000 people a day to go online and register.....

C'mon now Alastair, seriously, whats the chances sir:rolleyes:?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Odats wrote: »
    Is it really scaremongering to tell people what consequences may flow from refusal to pay?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement