Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'll pay it. I'm not brave enough to be a rebel.
    It'll be like the bin charges, people going mad at first then paying up like obedient little lambs.

kincsem wrote: »
    I paid it today. The rest of you working class heros will pay it in March.
    How come you have paid it already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

I think the charge is a disgrace and a retrograde step.

In a country/county where
    1. I pay for my own water supply
    2. I pay for my own sewerage treatment/disposal
    3. I pay for my own refuse disposal
    4. If I am unfortunate to need a Fire Brigade I have to pay for it
    5. If I am unfortunate to need an ambulance I must pay for it
    6. I already pay €1,000 to local council for Motor Tax

Why should I be forced, under threat of severe sanctions, to pay more money to a local council for less and less services?

Next step will be some ridiculous property tax with some idiotic scale of charge based on house size, or value, neither of which have the slightest bearing on the level of services provided by the council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

coco66 wrote: »
    Hi ,this is my first time commenting on bulletin boards,but am a regular reader for knowledge and advice.I wonder are the numbers that have paid the Household Charge reported by the various news stations being massaged by the Department involved,the numbers jumped from 700 at 11.00am paid up,to 4844 paid and 1200 homes registered at 18.30 this evening.Could this all be propaganda, or have that many households got this money lying around 1 week after xmas??

It does seem a bit suspicious that the numbers would suddenly jump so significantly 2 months ahead of the deadline!! Maybe it is just the attention that it is receiving in the media today that is prompting people to pay now?

In response to your last question, I reckon that there are buckets of cash in plenty of houses after Christmas. This is a somewhat uneven recession.

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

I paid it today. Its a very straightforward process. Theres a website set up for it at

www.householdcharge.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

I paid it today. Its a very straightforward process. Theres a website set up for it at

www.householdcharge.ie

It's amazing the work that goes into things that are devised to take money from you.

Whereas a project like Job-bridge is an unmitigated disaster.

Shower of bastards.

Fear Uladh wrote: »
    It's amazing the work that goes into things that are devised to take money from you.

Whereas a project like Job-bridge is an unmitigated disaster.

Shower of bastards.

Its going have to be paid anyway. I have a head like a sieve so come March I would have forgotten and probably ended up in jail

Gophur wrote: »
    If I am unfortunate to need a Fire Brigade I have to pay for it

We have to pay for the fire brigade!? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hi ,this is my first time commenting on bulletin boards,but am a regular reader for knowledge and advice.I wonder are the numbers that have paid the Household Charge reported by the various news stations being massaged by the Department involved,the numbers jumped from 700 at 11.00am paid up,to 4844 paid and 1200 homes registered at 18.30 this evening.Could this all be propaganda, or have that many households got this money lying around 1 week after xmas??
    It does seem a bit suspicious that the numbers would suddenly jump so significantly 2 months ahead of the deadline!! Maybe it is just the attention that it is receiving in the media today that is prompting people to pay now?

In response to your last question, I reckon that there are buckets of cash in plenty of houses after Christmas. This is a somewhat uneven recession.

Some people just like to pay their bills straight away and even if there is no actual bill here they would look at it in the same way. It is hardly a stampede 5000 out of 1.5 million or whatever the number is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 coco66

It may not be a stampede certainly,but it is surprising that with all the negative press that this TAX is getting,that people are not holding off a while,in the early nineties in Britain, the poll tax failed ,bought down the Tory government and was replaced by a fairer council tax system.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I just signed up and paid but got a weird error which read:

"The payment was successful but there was a technical problem communicating with the Household Charge system.

Please contact the support team on 1890357357 with the payment code to get the status of the payment updated."

Trying to get back onto the site to see what the fcuk but it's not loading anymore. Sigh, technology :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Got to love the RTE propaganda about how many people have already signed up, dieing to pay this lovely tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

"The payment was successful but there was a technical problem communicating with the Household Charge system.

Please contact the support team on 1890357357 with the payment code to get the status of the payment updated."

Trying to get back onto the site to see what the fcuk but it's not loading anymore. Sigh, technology :(

It's just resting in their account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

I wonder how long it'll be before they announce the price has increased to €300-€400. I say they'll wait for more payments to come in, and possibly go after some people who (rightfully) don't pay.

Ya know what they should do, if they really want to make the household charge permanent. Charge houses by the amount of bedrooms. 8 bedrooms house? Pay €300 this year.

It may not be a stampede certainly,but it is surprising that with all the negative press that this TAX is getting,that people are not holding off a while,in the early nineties in Britain, the poll tax failed ,bought down the Tory government and was replaced by a fairer council tax system.

No harm in holding back until the end of March but if you can afford €100 pay then because all the unpaid charges, interest and fines will remain attached to the property to be paid eventually. No transfer of a property either by sale or in a will can be made until the full amount is discharged.

Why would anyone risk going to jail for refusing to pay this? I certainly wouldnt risk it for €100.

Probably cost more if you needed legal representation in court?

HovaBaby wrote: »
    I wonder how long it'll be before they announce the price has increased to €300-€400. I say they'll wait for more payments to come in, and possibly go after some people who (rightfully) don't pay.

Ya know what they should do, if they really want to make the household charge permanent. Charge houses by the amount of bedrooms. 8 bedrooms house? Pay €300 this year.

You don't have to wonder, plans for the property tax to replace this household charge have been announced already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Why would anyone risk going to jail for refusing to pay this? I certainly wouldnt risk it for €100.

Probably cost more if you needed legal representation in court?

It's not the €100 this year people are fighting its the €300, €500 - €1000 to be introduced in 2013-2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

I signed up a while ago and had problems too.

Site crashed just after I had completed registration and wouldn't allow me progress to payment.

I have attempted to log in since, but the security words are impossible to read!! I have made about 10 attempts to get in and it just doesn't work.

Think I'll just hold onto the Eur100 and spend it in the pub! They'll only get VAT on it that way!!

I signed up a while ago and had problems too.

Site crashed just after I had completed registration and wouldn't allow me progress to payment.

I have attempted to log in since, but the security words are impossible to read!! I have made about 10 attempts to get in and it just doesn't work.

Think I'll just hold onto the Eur100 and spend it in the pub! They'll only get VAT on it that way!!

I got back in to my account on the site, the payment is still due on my property. I checked my bank account online and a withdrawl of the €100 has been made from my account.

I'm slightly annoyed/confused. People should hold off until it unfcuks itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Fully intend paying mine in person to the local Department of Environment, Community and Local Government. I'll be paying it all in fivers. I've only wiped me arse in half of the twenty so far

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No, we're leaving later in the year so it'll be a waste of my hard earned money.

Fully intend paying mine in person to the local Department of Environment, Community and Local Government. I'll be paying it all in fivers. I've only wiped me arse in half of the twenty so far

You'll be a few fivers short because they charge you a service charge for paying in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

I am looking forward to paying it
    I had to laugh at the woman on the radio after the budget who said she was going to be about €50 a month worse off as a result of household charge, a cut in fuel allowance, a cut in children's allowance and get this the 25 cent increase in 20 cigarettes. She said she was going to have to buy less biscuits. It never occurred to her she would be about €260 a month better off if she quit smoking!
    It would be chocolate Kimberlys for ever if she quit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

huey1975 wrote: »
    I am looking forward to paying it
    I had to laugh at the woman on the radio after the budget who said she was going to be about €50 a month worse off as a result of household charge, a cut in fuel allowance, a cut in children's allowance and get this the 25 cent increase in 20 cigarettes. She said she was going to have to buy less biscuits. It never occurred to her she would be about €260 a month better off if she quit smoking!
    It would be chocolate Kimberlys for ever if she quit

The less she can spend on biscuits and smoking, the less the state gets in VAT and duty...
    I agree about her being stupid about not considering giving up the cancer sticks if she's so stuck for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    It's not the €100 this year people are fighting its the €300, €500 - €1000 to be introduced in 2013-2014.

Thats all hear say. When has the government actually said some households may have to pay 1,000 euro a year. Yes it's 100 now but there is nothing to say people will have to pay 1,000 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rekhib

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    Thats all hear say. When has the government actually said some households may have to pay 1,000 euro a year. Yes it's 100 now but there is nothing to say people will have to pay 1,000 a year.

These things tend to happen though. I'm firmly in the camp of holding off on payment, at least until the website works. I have a feeling though that it's simply prolonging the inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

You'll be a few fivers short because they charge you a service charge for paying in person.

That stinks/ will stink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

rekhib wrote: »
    These things tend to happen though. I'm firmly in the camp of holding off on payment, at least until the website works. I have a feeling though that it's simply prolonging the inevitable.

Website worked fine for me on the 2nd. I know there has been probs with it but it worked fine for me.

• Advertisement

How do people know that they have to pay this charge? :confused:

Are we going to get a letter or something- I don't know why I should pay this if I'm not actually asked to..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement