Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Gophur wrote: »
    I think the charge is a disgrace and a retrograde step.

In a country/county where
    1. I pay for my own water supply
    2. I pay for my own sewerage treatment/disposal
    3. I pay for my own refuse disposal
    4. If I am unfortunate to need a Fire Brigade I have to pay for it
    5. If I am unfortunate to need an ambulance I must pay for it
    6. I already pay €1,000 to local council for Motor Tax

Why should I be forced, under threat of severe sanctions, to pay more money to a local council for less and less services?

Next step will be some ridiculous property tax with some idiotic scale of charge based on house size, or value, neither of which have the slightest bearing on the level of services provided by the council

Ambulance Charges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Posy wrote: »
    How do people know that they have to pay this charge? :confused:

Are we going to get a letter or something- I don't know why I should pay this if I'm not actually asked to..

If you followed the budget at all you would know about. Plus its been on the net and news since it was anounced in the budget. If you google household charge you will find website. Or just add .ie to the end of household charge. Don't want to put up full website cause not sure if its against the rules or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Gophur wrote: »
    I think the charge is a disgrace and a retrograde step.

In a country/county where
    1. I pay for my own water supply
    2. I pay for my own sewerage treatment/disposal
    3. I pay for my own refuse disposal
    4. If I am unfortunate to need a Fire Brigade I have to pay for it
    5. If I am unfortunate to need an ambulance I must pay for it
    6. I already pay €1,000 to local council for Motor Tax

Why should I be forced, under threat of severe sanctions, to pay more money to a local council for less and less services?

Next step will be some ridiculous property tax with some idiotic scale of charge based on house size, or value, neither of which have the slightest bearing on the level of services provided by the council

Agreed.
    Ambulance Charges?

If you are involved in an accident and emergency services are called you will soon after receive an invoice, usually >€1,000 which you are expected to pay promptly or suffer the onslaught of threatening letters. In a road traffic accident fire brigade charges are supposed to be split between the involved parties but this isn't always the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

I am 100% confident that paying this charge is about as usefull as pissing in the wind.

If people want to pay for it let them. I can't see an ounce of sense in paying TBH.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I just can't believe people have already paid this- talk about keen!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

We have to pay for the fire brigade!? :eek:

Yeah this is what the money gets spent on

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/topheavy-fire-service-costing-vital-frontline-2628344.html

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You'll be a few fivers short because they charge you a service charge for paying in person.

There was talk of that but it didn't come in.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

eth0 wrote: »
    Got to love the RTE propaganda about how many people have already signed up, dieing to pay this lovely tax

Yep. And the Government will leave them alone. As usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

I just can't believe people have already paid this- talk about keen!! :eek:

Wait until 1.45m latebees try to access the system in the end of March!!

They'll see the smoke coming from the machine in the UK:D

Then everyone will be late, and you'll probably have a 3,000 line form to fill to declare that you didn't commit treason before they'll agree to waive the fines!!

Personally, I just prefer to get rid of the damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

no fecking way am i paying. its just to line the imf pockets. the money will never see the irish light of day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

hadepsx wrote: »
    no fecking way am i paying. its just to line the imf pockets. the money will never see the irish light of day

There's 2 of us there, ill have my day in cork prison before ill pay this bullsiht charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

hadepsx wrote: »

So, you only pay taxes if you agree with where the proceeds go?

It doesn't work like that. Not by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Definitely not paying.

LABOUR LEADER Eamon Gilmore repeated his
    charge of “economic treason” against the
    Taoiseach.

These aren't words from some hippie or deranged protester. These words came from the Tainiaste. The second in command of the government like.

So, you want us to support this act by agreeing to pay this charge which will go to the IMF.

Would you like me to slap myself in the face while I'm at it? ? C'mon.

irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0113/1224287413015.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Of course I'll pay it, it's the law and I am bound by it.

I hope whoever flat out refuses to pay it get stung with extra fines.

lastlaugh wrote: »

They won't pay them either. Not enough prison spaces for them either.

of course not but it so blantantly obvious its heading straight to the imf

last laugh are you one of them 6000 people who've already foolishly paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Law or not it's going to cost the state a lot more carting me off to prison for a few hours because i won't pay it, and if everybody else did the same they wouldn't be long re-thinking.

Iv gone inside before over stupit fines and it certainly won't bother me if i go in again over a stupit fcukin tax.

They won't pay them either. Not enough prison spaces for them either.

It should be just deducted straight from their wages or something, people need to stop whining and pay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

If you're renting, who pays? You or the Landlord?

• Advertisement

ThePower11 wrote: »
    If you're renting, who pays? You or the Landlord?

Whoever owns the house.

It should be just deducted straight from their wages or something, people need to stop whining and pay up.

no people need to whinge more, stand up for themselfs and not pay this 'tax'. once you've registered for it your fooked, they'll have all your details to charge you even more tax in the future. sure havent they already admitted this e100 tax is only just the start/ the tip of the iceberg. it will be the straw that broke the camels back come 2013/14.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I would have no problem paying it if it actually went into improving local services as it is being sold as, but the dogs in the street know that this money will go to pay off the IMF and keep Bertie and other FFailures in the pensions they have become accustomed to.

Also why the flub do I need to provide my PPS number to pay for this charge? On those grounds alone nobody should pay it!

gustafo wrote: »
    Law or not it's going to cost the state a lot more carting me off to prison for a few hours because i won't pay it, and if everybody else did the same they wouldn't be long re-thinking.

Iv gone inside before over stupit fines and it certainly won't bother me if i go in again over a stupit fcukin tax.

It really shouldn't get to the stage where anybody goes to prison, it should be deducted from peoples income in a way that everybody pays, everybody that can afford it of course.

Times are hard for the country as a whole so we should all just man up and cough up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It really shouldn't get to the stage where anybody goes to prison, it should be deducted from peoples income in a way that everybody pays, everybody that can afford it of course.

It's not an income tax FFS....they can't just deduct it from income. :rolleyes:

That's whats fucking wrong with us Irish we just shut up and pay up!

How will Bertie pay it when he hasn't even got a bank account? How is his pension paid?

How will Bertie pay it when he hasn't even got a bank account? How is his pension paid?
    You can pay in person and you receive pension in cash.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's not an income tax FFS....they can't just deduct it from income. :rolleyes:

Pity that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I havent one fcuking notion of paying it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement