Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

robbie7730 wrote: »
    People will be paying an awful lot more. No?

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

People need to wake the **** up and see the bigger picture here, This is not about money, Its about the government getting themselves a database together and trying to force you into crap like this.

So for DV and the rest of the lemmings....
    Get yourself a big bottle of lube, Pull those arse cheeks apart and lube up good...the way you go on your gonna need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Get yourself a big bottle of lube, Pull those arse cheeks apart and lube up good...the way you go on your gonna need it.

You'll be the one facing the possibility of a custodial sentence - you might want to stock up on a bit of lube yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Perhaps not a dating event, but the point is well made.
    I think the way she was looking at it was visually, rather than analysing.
    The 'no' side is made up of a group of people who I would run a mile from before I associated myself with.
    The Shinners, Joe Higgens, Joan Collins, The Unions, Wild Bill, People Before Profit - a vertible who's who of crazies and social retards.

€100 is a small price to pay, for not be in anyway associated with this lot.
    So now you are paying to dis-associate. You will have to stop doing absolutely everything they do so. Not just one single thing.
    (Cue outraged responses droning on and on about how the charge won't be €100 next year........)

So you wont associate with anyone that has not paid. Will you ask everyone before interacting with them? Or are you like the others, who have claimed they only know people who intend paying?

You'll be the one facing the possibility of a custodial sentence - you might want to stock up on a bit of lube yourself.

Why will i be facing a custodial sentence????

This is going to get abolished,,,they cant collect it,they couldn't run a piss up in a brewery.

• Advertisement

People need to wake the **** up and see the bigger picture here, This is not about money, Its about the government getting themselves a database together and trying to force you into crap like this.

Clever and articulate, Good Lad yourself. Just as well you arent representative of the majority of the CAHWT movement, but there are always a few like yourself knocking about the place. Well Done.

Why will i be facing a custodial sentence????

This is going to get abolished,,,they cant collect it,they couldn't run a piss up in a brewery.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

lazygal wrote: »
    Who would want to be associated with that bunch of ould fellas? Gave me the creeps.

Same shower of rich OAPs who hit the streets when FF tried to take away their free medical cards, tbh

Austerity policies are strangling the economy, destroying jobs and driving the country into even deeper recession. This is your chance to say NO to austerity.

The government’s plan to register 1.8 million households for the Household Tax is in crisis. Hundreds of thousands of households are not paying.
    Tens of thousands have attended public meetings and a grassroots campaign against the tax is organised in everycounty in the state.
    People power can stop them, so let’s keep the government under pressure.

People have had enough of cutbacks. They are angry at the destruction of our health service. They understand that cuts in education will deny their children and grandchil- dren a future. But with this Campaign, they are standing up and saying enough is enough!
    Slashing Services to Fund Bankers

The Government claims that money raised from the household tax will fund libraries, parks and the fire service. But they won’t tell you that in order to fund the bailout they cut €170 million from the Local Gov- ernment Fund, which will close libraries, parks and fire stations.

The €3.1 billion “promissory note” bondholder payment due on 31 March equals 20 years of household tax!
    Household Tax, Universal Social Charge, VAT increases – the ‘norm’ in Europe?

The government says that household taxes are “the norm” in Europe. Yet, they are al- ready taking additional tax direct from your wages through the Universal Social Charge. And at 23%, we have one of the highest VAT rates in Europe.
    Septic Tank Tax – It’s the Same Fight

Septic tanks must be made safe and reach high environmental standards. But the cost must be borne through a fair, progressive tax system which makes the rich pay and NOT by mas- sively penalising ordinary families liv- ing in rural areas.
    The Government Has Betrayed the People

“It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a person’s home” (Enda Kenny 1994). That promise went the way of “not one red cent for the banks without burning the bondholders” and “Labour’s way or Frankfurt’s way”. The government has broken promise after prom- ise, and just like Fianna Fáil before them are lining up with the bondholders against the or- dinary people.
    Jail the Bankers

While corrupt bankers and developers are free to continue enjoying lavish lifestyles at our expense the government threaten ordinary people for daring to boycott an unjust tax used to fund an unjust bailout. But these threats can be defeated (see over for details).
    Don’t Be Bullied

The government can be defeated. Already they have been forced to cut the septic tank registration fee. Hun- dreds of thousands of households have refused to register. No one can be given a big fine unless they take you to court, and with hundreds of thousands refusing to pay, they will never be able to take anything but a tiny mi- nority of non-payers to court. By organising the campaign in every community, we can ensure that nobody will go to court alone and that court cases are turned into occasions of huge political protest. In this way we can de- fend each other from government threats.
    By standing together we can win!

With just a few weeks to go it is vital we all stand together. Imagine the powerful message that will be sent, if on 31st March hundreds of thousands and possibly even a million households said ‘We’re not registering and we’re not paying the household tax’!
    Join the Campaign

This Campaign is the most powerful grassroots campaign seen in this country in many years. It is organised in every county and is growing daily. We can beat the Government. Don’t register. Don’t Pay. Join the Campaign today.
    Hotline 1890 98 98 00 / www.nohouseholdtax.org
    Let’s keep the pressure on. This is your campaign.

Come to the National Rally Against the Household Tax at 1pm on Saturday 24th March in the National Stadium, South Circular Road, Dublin 8.
    Then on Saturday 31st March the Campaign will protest at the Fine Gael Ard Fheis being held at the National Convention Centre, Dublin.

Doubt it will really - unless you mean replaced by a property tax.

Guess we'll find out who's right over the next couple of years - don't go giving away your last bottle of lube just in case.

• Advertisement

donalg1 wrote: »
    Clever and articulate, Good Lad yourself. Just as well you arent representative of the majority of the CAHWT movement, but there are always a few like yourself knocking about the place. Well Done.

Wasn't meant to be clever or articulate

Link?

You somehow see the household charge as independent of the property tax, so links are pointless. I think you know yourself where its heading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Can you provide a link for this please, something showing where it says the Household Charge will be a few thousand later. Thanks
    Link?

Donal since your such a believer in requesting links to back up a claim, unless you can provide me with a link that proves the charge won't increase, I'd stay quiet if i were you :rolleyes:

Come to the National Rally Against the Household Tax at 1pm on Saturday 24th March in the National Stadium, South Circular Road, Dublin 8.

Anyone for the last few tickets there?

Anyone?

Ghandee wrote: »
    Donal since your such a believer in requesting links to back up a claim, unless you can provide me with a link that proves the charge won't increase, I'd stay quiet if i were you :rolleyes:

If you show a link showing the property tax will be €550 for 150k+ houses, he will say thats the property tax, not the household charge.

So its pointless.

Get off the internet and stop wasting our bandwidth then.

Anyone for the last few tickets there?

Anyone?

Come along, support your fellow man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Same shower of rich OAPs who hit the streets when FF tried to take away their free medical cards, tbh

And did the medical cards get taken away from them during that protest ?

So......

Your point is?

Clever...you really haven't a clue.

Obviously being sarcastic with my response because your reply was far from clever and articulate, the complete opposite actually

• Advertisement

Clever, You really haven't a clue.

Obviously being sarcastic with my response because your reply was far from clever and articulate, the complete opposite actually

Fair enough lol

Ghandee wrote: »

Where did I say it wont increase?

I am asking people that claim it will increase for links, see the difference?

You somehow see the household charge as independent of the property tax, so links are pointless. I think you know yourself where its heading.

Apparently they are independent of each other as one is a flat rate and the other will be based on a site valuation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Success on both counts so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

If you show a link showing the property tax will be €550 for 150k+ houses, he will say thats the property tax, not the household charge.

So its pointless.
    There is no link - no decision has been made on the pricing for the property tax. There is speculation and there are recommendations from various bodies - that's all.
    There is an ongoing consultation, that you might want to contribute to (or not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

I paid it in Jan.
    Sorry I did now.
    I can see now that there will be a massive amount who dont pay. Probably a good thing.
    I wouldnt mind paying this so much if everybody had to pay. Like the council tax in the uk. You should have to pay for living in the area, not get away free just because you dont own where you live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Where did I say it wont increase?

I am asking people that claim it will increase for links, see the difference?

What do you expect the property tax to be on a standard 3 bedroom semi-detached house with a value of €150,000? Do you see it at the current €100?

Do you expect a further levy called a water tax to be introduced along with the property tax? What do you expect that will be?

If this tax does proceed do you still think that if you call out the fire brigade that you will be exempt from paying a call out charge even though we are told that his property tax is covering this service?

Finally do you expect once and for all that this government is going to cut out the enormous waste of tax payers money throughout the public sector? Do you expect them to finally sort out the health service and not be held over a barrell everytime the unions threaten them?

Why would anyone with half a brain think giving government (permanent civil servants) with a past track record of incompetent handling of tax payers money is going to help.

We were promised changes to how we spend tax payers money. All we have seen so far is the same as previous governments.

I paid it in Jan.
    Sorry I did now.
    I can see now that there will be a massive amount who dont pay. Probably a good thing.
    I wouldnt mind paying this so much if everybody had to pay. Like the council tax in the uk. You should have to pay for living in the area, not get away free just because you dont own where you live.

Thats the problem most of us have with it, 'There should be NO exemptions.

• Advertisement

Apparently they are independent of each other as one is a flat rate and the other will be based on a site valuation.

Yes, a pro paying point of view.

A common sense neutral point of view would be that the household charge is a property tax, the introductory level being €100, and is the instrument in setting up a database to bring the same tax to the intended levels.

See them as 2 unconnected items if you like. But child level common sense says they are the same, just with a different name and level.

These govenrments know that their simple act of a name change and payment level (upwards), will make many people believe the household charge is not a property tax, and they are different. Your view shows this.

And then one minister, with a computer screen, changes the word household to property, and lots of people follow it like the gods have intervened and changed it.

The introductory charge is simply a hook and bait exercise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement