Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

dvpower wrote: »
    No. It'll certainly be more than €100

I think for a 3bed semi it will be €312.64 exactly.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭CajunOnTour

Wow! All the same people still here!

Who's winning?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm sorry - was there an additional point you were trying to make?

Did I say there was?
    I am debating a point of what's been stated with another member here.
    Sorry if you don't see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Wow! All the same people still here!

Who's winning?

People with houseboats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

alastair wrote: »
    If he actually believed that the deadline had some sort of critical meaning.
    Late payers are an equally useful source of revenue.

Not when the costs of actually getting the cash are totaled :D

The protests to be policed, the strikes, the martyrs in prison - and hopefully the odd costly riot.

Sorry Al, this bird ain't gonna fly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Biggins wrote: »
    Did I say there was?
    You quoted my post - I thought you were responding to it.

No probs - carry on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭CajunOnTour

People with houseboats.

Lol! I see you nemesis is here too! You folk been at it all night?

You quoted my post - I thought you were responding to it.

No probs - carry on.

No worries, partly (or all) my fault for not perhaps been clearer. :)

(Side-note, we are up to 6459 posts!
    Whats the biggest ever thread on AH and boards.ie? :D)

Lol! I see you nemesis is here too! You folk been at it all night?

I slept soundly, knowing that I'm paid up for the year.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    The protests to be policed, the strikes, the martyrs in prison - and hopefully the odd costly riot.
    Theres going to be martyrs!! :eek:
    This issue has everything.

• Advertisement

He fled the field ;)

Biggins wrote: »
    (Side-note, we are up to 6459 posts!
    Whats the biggest ever thread on AH and boards.ie? :D)

I predict 9,000 posts by the 31st.
    (Somebody write that down - you can give me a hard time if I'm wrong)

Theres going to be martyrs!! :eek:
    This issue has everything.

Many, many martyrs.
    Riots.
    Who knows what else? :)

It's what happens when an illegitimate Quisling Regime working for the Germans tries to steal money from the citizens to pay for German banks' gambling debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If he actually believed that the deadline had some sort of critical meaning.
    Late payers are an equally useful source of revenue.

So the deadline has no critical meaning, then? The fact that the majority of people will have completely ignored the deadline set out by government is far from meaningless. It's a clear statement of intent from the public regarding this issue. If you truly believe that Hogan et al don't see that as troubling then you're deluded.

That's nice. There's no point in laying awake all night worrying about the bogeyman. I wonder if your €100 will be refunded once it is realised that this is completely untenable and unworkable.

I predict 9,000 posts by the 31st.
    (Somebody write that down - you can give me a hard time if I'm wrong)

What's the all-time record for a boards thread?

Going by the rampant Blueshirtism on this thread I'd say it was the Queen's visit :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Wild Bill wrote: »
    What's the all-time record for a boards thread?

Going by the rampant Blueshirtism on this thread I'd say it was the Queen's visit :rolleyes:

Going by the rampant Conspiracy Theorists on this thread I'd say it was 'Were the Moon Landings Faked :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'll pay it if they ask me for it, like the rest of my taxes. They know who I am, they know I am a householder. I am not reading anything addressed "Occupant", that **** goes straight in the bin. I believe in paying my way and don't think the charge is excessive, but ****ed if I'm going to volunteer for a new tax. If they levy a late fine addressed to me I will pay the HHC and contest the fine on the grounds I received no request for payment.

That's nice. There's no point in laying awake all night worrying about the bogeyman. I wonder if your €100 will be refunded once it is realised that this is completely untenable and unworkable.

That's not really on the cards tbh - it's both tenable; the arguments presented against it are ridiculous (and contradictory) in the main, and workable; simple enough database task to start the posted demands.

I'll pay it if they ask me for it, like the rest of my taxes. They know who I am, they know I am a householder. I am not reading anything addressed "Occupant", that **** goes straight in the bin. I believe in paying my way and don't think the charge is excessive, but ****ed if I'm going to volunteer for a new tax. If they levy a late fine addressed to me I will pay the HHC and contest the fine on the grounds I received no request for payment.

I suspect you represent a lot of people's attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Going by the rampant Conspiracy Theorists on this thread I'd say it was 'Were the Moon Landings Faked :rolleyes:

You've produced a few yourself Francis...

Where's that link?

Unable to produce one?

Thought so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

contest the fine on the grounds I received no request for payment.
    But why do you believe that payment has to be requested? Do you withhold your PAYE until revenue come calling for it?
    Any contest on the grounds that you received no request for payment would be swiftly defeated and you'll be left with a huge legal bill. It's not a service charge, it's a law. Notice is not required, it's your obligation to comply with it.

Ghandee wrote: »
    You've produced a few yourself Francis...

Where's that link?

Unable to produce one?

Thought so.

The freemen idiots - of which there's a few in this thread - are wallowing in conspiracy theories. It's like a cargo cult for slower crusties.

That's not really on the cards tbh - it's both tenable; the arguments presented against it are ridiculous (and contradictory) in the main, and workable; simple enough database task to start the posted demands.

And when posted demands are not acknowledged? How much is it going to cost in legal and administrative fees to acquire the money from those who don't pay on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

I was going to pay it but got a letter from someone in labour in the post saying my house was on a list of houses that are in unfinished housing estate's. But it also states i have to register on housholdcharge.ie. If i dont have to pay the charge why do i have to register? I cant seem to find anything on the website.

And when posted demands are not acknowledged? How much is it going to cost in legal and administrative fees to acquire the money from those who don't pay on time?

About as much as it costs to administer unpaid TV licences - it's nothing exotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    I was going to pay it but got a letter from someone in labour in the post saying my house was on a list of houses that are in unfinished housing estate's. But it also states i have to register on housholdcharge.ie. If i dont have to pay the charge why do i have to register?

I find it difficult to believe that someone about to give birth would go to the trouble of writing you a letter in relation to this anyway tbh.

About as much as it costs to administer unpaid TV licences - it's nothing exotic.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/3500-jailed-for-not-paying-fines-2042095.html

Again, good luck to them. 100,000+ people stand to be sent to jail.. but yeah, that's totally workable!

The freemen idiots - of which there's a few in this thread - are wallowing in conspiracy theories. It's like a cargo cult for slower crusties.

Stop looking in a mirror! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I was going to pay it but got a letter from someone in labour in the post saying my house was on a list of houses that are in unfinished housing estate's. But it also states i have to register on housholdcharge.ie. If i dont have to pay the charge why do i have to register? I cant seem to find anything on the website.

Its just like when you don't own a car, motor tax dept still want you to register for not having one!

• Advertisement

Waivers

What are the waivers from payment of the household charge?

The waivers from payment of the household charge are as follows:
    • Owners of residential property entitled to mortgage interest supplement
    • Owners of residential property located in certain prescribed unfinished housing estates (see Unfinished Housing Estates section for more detail)

Persons claiming entitlement to a waiver are required to register their property.

Please note that all waiver claims will be validated. Persons who make false or misleading declarations in making a claim for a waiver will be liable to penalties under the legislation.

https://www.householdcharge.ie/Faq.aspx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement