Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

lastlaugh wrote: »
    It really shouldn't get to the stage where anybody goes to prison, it should be deducted from peoples income in a way that everybody pays, everybody that can afford it of course.

Times are hard for the country as a whole so we should all just man up and cough up.

No. Times are hard for ordinary people. They are easy for the politicians and their cronies. Didn't Enda pay his adviser an extra 25k and look after his family members with easy numbers and sure hasn't Bertie claimed 370k for his secretary. Someone has to pay those expenses so pay up lads your country needs you to man up and cough up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

hadepsx wrote: »
    no fecking way am i paying. its just to line the imf pockets. the money will never see the irish light of day
    you should pay up because the money will be re-circulated through the Irish economy by way of incremental public service pay increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

It really shouldn't get to the stage where anybody goes to prison, it should be deducted from peoples income in a way that everybody pays, everybody that can afford it of course.

Times are hard for the country as a whole so we should all just man up and cough up.

Government estimates 70,000 people will emigrate in 2013. Where do we send the bill to those who packed up and left!

Two neighbours on this street (of twenty two houses) own houses and have emigrated in the last two years. One more is on the way home to Poland shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

Congrats you have just won the most idiotic post of the year award.

Man up and cough up??? Are you for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    Thats all hear say. When has the government actually said some households may have to pay 1,000 euro a year. Yes it's 100 now but there is nothing to say people will have to pay 1,000 a year.

Some of the larger more expensive properties will no doubt be paying this kind of figure. Those properties in Northtumberland Road, Rathmichael or Dalkey for example. The average house will be paying between 300-600 depending on square footage.

Do you honestly believe you will be paying less than 100 when the tax eventually comes in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

No. Times are hard for ordinary people. They are easy for the politicians and their cronies. Didn't Enda pay his adviser an extra 25k and look after his family members with easy numbers and sure hasn't Bertie claimed 370k for his secretary. Someone has to pay those expenses so pay up lads your country needs you to man up and cough up.

I'm an ordinary person and am by no means well off yet I will man up and cough up.

Whatever about Bertie and all the rest of it, I have no problem paying towards the revenue of the country.

Maybe I am just a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

How will Bertie pay it when he hasn't even got a bank account? How is his pension paid?

Same as he always did,,BROWN ENVELOPE...

Maybe I am just a fool.
    Finally.

Pat40433 wrote: »
    I wont be paying it - ill see how this whole saga pans put - I have enough tax paid on my house already - plus the roadway that serves my estate has not being repaired by the council for as long as I have lived here (7-8 years). So much for using planning development fees for infrastructure improvement works/repairs etc.
    +1. The way the country got out of the then debt crises / recession in the late eighties / early nineties was by cutting spending ruthlessly.....not increasing new taxes.
    Our government spending today is still nearly double what it was ten years ago. Its time people copped on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

ThePower11 wrote: »
    Congrats you have just won the most idiotic post of the year award.

Man up and cough up??? Are you for real?

Yes I'm for real, and I will pay up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Its going have to be paid anyway. I have a head like a sieve so come March I would have forgotten and probably ended up in jail
    No harm in holding back until the end of March but if you can afford €100 pay then because all the unpaid charges, interest and fines will remain attached to the property to be paid eventually. No transfer of a property either by sale or in a will can be made until the full amount is discharged.
    Why would anyone risk going to jail for refusing to pay this? I certainly wouldnt risk it for €100.

Probably cost more if you needed legal representation in court?

You can only be fined / jailed for a REPEAT offence.

So if you don't pay in 2012, the total inc. penalty will be €130, and €100 for 2013 to be paid before March 2013.

Therefore, out of principle, I am not going to pay a single cent untill March 2013, and then I'll pay the €230.

If all the people in Ireland who get the reality of what this tax is really for did the same, it would fail, just like Thatchers Poll tax failed. So please WAKE UP SHEEPLE.
    Fully intend paying mine in person to the local Department of Environment, Community and Local Government. I'll be paying it all in fivers. I've only wiped me arse in half of the twenty so far

Why ? Do you really think the ordinary worker forced to count it agrees with it ? Do you really think the Golden circle billionaire scum that are going to be funded from this care that you did that ? I agree with your anger, but please don't degrade ordinary workers like yourself in that way.
    It should be just deducted straight from their wages or something, people need to stop whining and pay up.

Yes, won't someone please think of the poor billionaire secret bondholders that will loose out if you don't, who would buy their next cocktail on their tax free Caymen Island beach ? Please spare a thought for the poor billionaire developers in SCAMA as well, and the fat barristers and accountancy firms 'administrating' it.

The Irish people can go out on their cowardly knees serving these peoples every whim untill the end, or they can go out swinging and fighting on their feet untill the end. I know which way I'm going out.

We've been paying household charges via our taxes since the 70's, stamp duty, and development charges.
    I'm not paying for the same thing 3 or 4 times.

I have always paid my taxes and bills all my life, but this is not a genuine tax or charge.

elaverty wrote: »
    Same as he always did,,BROWN ENVELOPE...

I doubt Bertie would be stupid enough to be caught for a single cent of household charge. I bet he'll figure out a way for some lackie / cronie lick arse to donate it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

gigino wrote: »
    +1. The way the country got out of the then debt crises / recession in the late eighties / early nineties was by cutting spending ruthlessly.....not increasing new taxes.
    Our government spending today is still nearly double what it was ten years ago. Its time people copped on.

Exactly. We will never ever get out of this recession by continually increasing taxes and taking more and more money out of people's pockets. The domestic economy is banjaxed and the geniuses in Government Buildings know exactly how to fix that....by taking more money away from people and depressing it even further and so on and so on........

Whatever about Bertie and all the rest of it, I have no problem paying towards the revenue of the country.
    If you do not want your little € 100 contribution to go towards the 30,000 public servants who are paid over 85,000 a year, or towards the thousands of public servants on pensions of over 80,000 a year, then make your cheque payable and addressed to;

Angela Merkel,
    Chancellor of Germany,
    Bundestag,
    Reichstag Building,
    Berlin,
    Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭glenkeo

Do the people who think the €100 euro will go straight to the IMF or bankers or builders have any idea how a country works. Money comes in, (some where around) €35billion last year in many different ways and unfortunately for us about €25billion more is going out (last year). About 7 billion off this is going on bank debts which is crazy.:mad: That leaves around 18 billion that we borrow, that some of this tax will have to go towards.
    Has for it going up and up which it likely will, we have elections where I am sure the left will be campaign to get rid of it, then we will have a choice like we did last year and people voted for the government we have
    (My figures above are not 100% but you get the idea)

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Exactly. We will never ever get out of this recession by continually increasing taxes and taking more and more money out of people's pockets. The domestic economy is banjaxed and the geniuses in Government Buildings know exactly how to fix that....by taking more money away from people and depressing it even further and so on and so on........

Cutting pay will not sort it out either. Nurses, garda, firemen etc have been hit several times already. If i have to go to hospital i want to be treated by a nurse who is happy and content at her work and not by one spitting nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ronnie_Rotten

I'll pay. sure i will. right after i register my septic tank..... feck off. :pac:

Cutting pay will not sort it out either. Nurses, garda, firemen etc have been hit several times already. If i have to go to hospital i want to be treated by a nurse who is happy and content at her work and not by one spitting nails.
    These PS workers were vastly over paid anyway so they can afford to take more hits, but the way it is now with the Croker Agreement they are protected all the while Private sector workers like myself are been hit left right and centre.

It's simple the CPA has to be scrapped!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I would have no problem paying it if it actually went into improving local services as it is being sold as, but the dogs in the street know that this money will go to pay off the IMF and keep Bertie and other FFailures in the pensions they have become accustomed to.

Also why the flub do I need to provide my PPS number to pay for this charge? On those grounds alone nobody should pay it!

It isn't being sold as improving local services, it's going towards at best maintaining local services.

The Government had to borrow €18 Billion last mainly to pay welfare and PS pay. The Government has cut local Govt. funding by €150 Million, this replaces it to try and pay our way.

The tax will raise about €160 Million next year. About 1% of what's needed. And that's before mention of banks and Germans.
    Its about .4% of the total welfare and PS pay bill.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Gareth2011 wrote: »
    Thats all hear say. When has the government actually said some households may have to pay 1,000 euro a year. Yes it's 100 now but there is nothing to say people will have to pay 1,000 a year.

Some of the larger more expensive properties will no doubt be paying this kind of figure. Those properties in Northtumberland Road, Rathmichael or Dalkey for example. The average house will be paying between 300-600 depending on square footage.

Do you honestly believe you will be paying less than 100 when the tax eventually comes in?

Why should the owners of larger houses pay more? The size of the house bears no relation to the level of services provided.

Why ? Do you really think the ordinary worker forced to count it agrees with it ? Do you really think the Golden circle billionaire scum that are going to be funded from this care that you did that ? Don't degrade an ordinary worker same as yourself in that way.

I'll take you up on that. These ''ordinary workers'' you speak of are complicit in my view. Would I work for someone so corrupt? No!

I've moved jobs for less before. I don't see why you're taking their side. They aren't taking yours. I'll be ''ordinary workers'' sending threats to you and your family if you don't pay up.

Them vs us. Fvck 'em.

• Advertisement

Gophur wrote: »
    Why should the owners of larger houses pay more? The size of the house bears no relation to the level of services provided.

I am not justifying why but I'm sure square footage will play a part. The government has said they want this tax to be more equitable. This will mean that they will have to ensure those living in more affluent areas pay more. Those living in one off houses in the countryside will also feel the blunt of this tax.

K-9 wrote: »
    It isn't being sold as improving local services, it's going towards at best maintaining local services.

It is being sold as improving Local Government accountability and aligning costs better to the demand for the services. They haven't actually told us how this will happen...just that it will....by magic I suppose.

ThePower11 wrote: »
    These PS workers were vastly over paid anyway so they can afford to take more hits, but the way it is now with the Croker Agreement they are protected all the while Private sector workers like myself are been hit left right and centre.

It's simple the CPA has to be scrapped!

You could half the present wages of all the Public Sector and Private Sector workers and it would still not make a hole in our debt. People make too much of the CPA Agreement. There is an embargo in the Public Sector and as nobody is being hired and budgets are cut it will work itself out. I went to the motor tax office last week and there was only one hatch open out of 5 and big queues waiting. The lad on the hatch told me that it was because of shortage of workers and he was on that hatch all day. He was not too happy but doing his best. Why should he have yet another cut while Enda can pay someone an extra 25k?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I am not justifying why but I'm sure square footage will play a part. The government has said they want this tax to be more equitable. This will mean that they will have to ensure those living in more affluent areas pay more. Those living in one off houses in the countryside will also feel the blunt of this tax.
    Well, I don't think it's wrong for someone living in a ten bedroom mansion with a pool to pay more than someone with a two bed terrace.
    Just my opinion, of course. :)

Posy wrote: »
    Well, I don't think it's wrong for someone living in a ten bedroom mansion with a pool to pay more than someone with a two bed terrace.
    Just my opinion, of course. :)

I believe that is what the government is aiming for. I think you have to include square footage into the equation.

Why should he have yet another cut while Enda can pay someone an extra 25k?

Who was justifying Enda and the extra €25k? Government expenditure in 2002 was c.€30 billion. Why can't we cut back to that? As I recall we weren't living in the dark ages in 2002!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It is being sold as improving Local Government accountability and aligning costs better to the demand for the services. They haven't actually told us how this will happen...just that it will....by magic I suppose.

It may well be sold as that, the reality is Councils are down a €150 Million and need to make it up somewhere. Local Councils have had funding cut for years but nobody really cared during the "boom".

FG also said there'd be no property tax, it would be up to councils, Labour similar, people swallowed it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Why should he have yet another cut while Enda can pay someone an extra 25k?

He's getting a massive pension out of it. Why not just sack him and hire two lads who won't receive pensions. It'll provide better customer service and save the burden of that future pension.

If we're going to have ridiculous property taxes why not have ridiculous employment laws n'all. Who's to say what's fair anymore in a country like this???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

K-9 wrote: »
    FG also said there'd be no property tax
    FG said a lot of things. ;)

• Advertisement

I believe that is what the government is aiming for. I think you have to include square footage into the equation.

How will that work?
    You could have a family of two in a fairly large house that they bought years ago for 50k and a large family in a 3 bed semi that they bought six years ago for 300k.
    The family of two use very little services i.e water yet the big family use lots of services.
    It does not compute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement