Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

xflyer wrote: »
    Simple this is preparation for the introduction of a full property tax. Tenants don't own property. This tax is simply a way of finding out who owns what and were so we can all be fleeced.

Lets hope they introduce a residential occupant charge then for renters. Just because you are renting does not preclude you from being able to contribute financially to LA fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Why register then, if we are already registered?

You're not registered - you will be if you don't self-register.

Beubeu wrote: »
    Even if I agree with a property tax I actually agree with you and the unfairness of this tax (especially since we all know that owning a property in Ireland doesnt mean being rich).

In France they have 2 type of taxes related to a house. The tax on property which is a tax on wealth. And a local tax which is connecting to where you live and it covers bin charges, school, roads etc...
    Basicly if you buy a house and rent it you will never pay this local tax simply because you dont get any benefits from it.

Don't understand why this gvt doesn't want to do that. It brings a level of fairness and make everybody contribute.

This would seem like a logical solution.

Beubeu wrote: »
    In France they have 2 type of taxes related to a house. The tax on property which is a tax on wealth. And a local tax which is connecting to where you live and it covers bin charges, school, roads etc...

Careful now - some here can't get their head around the concept of wealth in property.

Did you hear the guy from FF on. If he had his way half the population would be exempt. What sort of society to people want. Do they want one where hard working people pay their way and a significant part of the population get a free ride?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

alastair wrote: »
    Exactly - It's not about the €100 a year. It's about the real revenue stream that a tiered property tax will bring. 'Bigger savings' will hurt a lot more than a property tax, and those who will feel the pain the worst won't thank you for it. You think you can shave an additional billion a year off welfare, education and health provision and justify it as less harmful than a property tax that provides the same revenues?[/QUOTE]

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/state-waste-of-10bn-in-10-years-1200571.html

Granted from 2007.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/politics/43m-decentralisation-sites-left-lying-idle-184974.html

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/super-projects-have-proven-a-superb-waste-of-money-2968981.html

http://www.cttc.ie/press-releases/mccarthy-report-is-a-great-day-for-public-transport-says-cttc.455.html

http://www.ifut.ie/press-releases/press-release-20110823.pdf

https://emergencyservicesforum.com/showthread.php?tid=2944

http://www.greenparty.ie/news.html?n=29

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/navan/articles/2011/08/24/4006271-call-to-knock-down-abandoned-navan-building-after-arson-attack/

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13571:court-delays-cost-money&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/governments-plane-trips-cost-taxpayer-e500000-0021732-1

I could go on but you will get the general idea, and these are small things i have not put in banks, welfare, medical cards, over paid/over treated councillors.. etc.....smalls trees can produce an orchard.

All these td's where public representitives for along time in one guise or another and quite obvioulsy where not doing they're jobs and as long as we meekly accept tax after tax after tax then we are not only dooming ourselves but the next and the next and the next generations, what we as collective people have to grasp is that these monies is our money and that we could have a better education, health and public system for less money than it currently takes if it is managed in a more open and prudent fashion, we will only get that if we have unity and a proper and more open government and we wil not get that by just going with the flow, going on marches and protests is futile these days they just dont care and wont listen because they(td's) feel safe and guarded, all we can do is not pay these charges as a unit and as the old saying goes, vote with our wallets or purses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

You're not registered - you will be if you don't self-register.

Is a persons name not registered as owner of a property when they buy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

dvpower wrote: »
    You might tender for the gig yourself mikom

http://etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=MAR322235

Yeah, I saw the tender for the leaflet distribution, but not that one.
    Thanks.
    Fingers and toes crossed.
    If you're trying to tell yourself they can't manage this task, then you'd be wrong - they can.

Going on previous form..........

Is a persons name not registered as owner of a property when they buy it?

It's on the registery of deeds - a subset of which will probably be factored into a new homeowners database.

It's on the registery of deeds - which will probably be factored into a new homeowners database.

Indeed it is. So why register again?

• Advertisement

billybudd wrote: »
    All these td's where public representitives for along time in one guise or another and quite obvioulsy where not doing they're jobs and as long as we meekly accept tax after tax after tax then we are not only dooming ourselves but the next and the next and the next generations, what we as collective people have to grasp is that these monies is our money and that we could have a better education, health and public system for less money than it currently takes if it is managed in a more open and prudent fashion, we will only get that if we have unity and a proper and more open government and we wil not get that by just going with the flow, going on marches and protests is futile these days they just dont care and wont listen because they(td's) feel safe and guarded, all we can do is not pay these charges as a unit and as the old saying goes, vote with our wallets or purses.

Are you boycotting punctuation too?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jennifer Eccles

shure, travellers prove that the 2 person co-habitation model wasn't universally adopted.
    In fact, because they've wheels on their houses..... no household charge either.

Indeed it is. So why register again?

Why do you think? Come on now, I'm sure you can figure it out.

There is a charter in this forum about that, did you have a read?

There is a charter in this forum about that, did you have a read?

I read something about backseat mods alright.

I read something about backseat mods alright.

Well just that you claimed i couldnt read the other day, but when shortly after that, you read my name wrong, that was ok of course. Now another poster`s punctuation is not up to your standard. I thought your arrogant above us all attitude was worth noting.

Well just that you claimed i couldnt read the other day, now another poster`s punctuation is not up to your standard. I thought your arrogant above us all attitude was worth noting.

Don't blame me for your comprehension issues. Can't help you there.

Don't blame me for your comprehension issues. Can't help you there.

No, perhaps you can help the posters with punctuation not at your level though, in your final analysis:pac:

My school was in a heavilly disadvantaged area that was devoid of tax payers money. oh well.

My school was in a heavilly disadvantaged area that was devoid of tax payers money. oh well.

Riiiight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The school was built from dreams and hopes, rather than taxpayers money you see.

Riiiight.

I suppose someone has to pay the swollen wages of certain CC that riiiight ally and who better than the foolish public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Yes you can. It will probably be €5 a week then, one pint a week, yep you sure can PM me. Don't still be moaning now, emigrate if you have to. (and pay property tax over there, LOL)
    :D€5 a week. God bless your optimism. lol.

I suppose someone has to pay the swollen wages of certain CC that riiiight ally and who better than the foolish public.

Sorry, my Ulster-Scots isn't so good. In english please.

They do? I pay PAYE and PRSI on a regular basis without any communication to do so. They don't fine you at will because you've not broken a law - break a law and risk the penalty.

I'll ask again. Are you a government rep or a member of one of the ruling parties?

You're the funny guy - so emotive, and yet so shy to articulate the actual reasons you believe the tax is unfair.

That has been explained to you over and over again in this thread. But you choose to ignore it, nay even reply to it. Blinkers doesn't even cover it.........

But I'd love to hear what you have to say on the matter, particularly since you have 'hundreds' of objections. That's what discussion forums are all about - you don't want to be a blind follower of mass media, do you?

Like you, a stool of the Government? You've chosen to ignore the very real reasons why this tax is immoral and unjust.

Sorry, my Ulster-Scots isn't so good. In english please.

Sorry in english: you probaly work in a public sector job and will argue your case in order to protect your own future earnings.

There's the thing - Tayto's crowd are no better than the blueshirts, worse if anything, and yet the partisan nonsense gets in the way of recognition that we have no choice but to raise taxation levels to european norms if we're going to ever get a sustainable economy, and that property taxes are a clear, and progressive part of that equation.

A sustainable economy would have to begin with the basics. Don't spend more than you earn. By cutting PS pay and "entitlements", along with our ludicously over-generous SW system. As opposed to punsihing those of us already heavily taxed.

• Advertisement

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Like you, a stool of the Government? You've chosen to ignore the very real reasons why this tax is immoral and unjust.

'stool of the Government'?

The mind boggles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement