Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

That doesn't mean the ministers' own houses. It essentially properties that are owned by the state.

Mortgage interest relief is not the same thing as mortgage interest supplement, so no.

Ye - I pretty much got that but thought I'd chance my arm in the hope that I was wrong anyway so F**K !

Nice of them anyway to stick in a loophole for the ministers while the Irish ppl who don't know how to stick up for themselves take it up the @$$ once more with sealed lips. I could care less if they're owned by the state or not, still loop holed and wouldn't surprise me if it is for the ministers own houses

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Nice of them anyway to stick in a loophole for the ministers while the Irish ppl who don't know how to stick up for themselves take it up the @$$ once more with sealed lips.

It's not a loophole for ministers. That doesn't relate to their own houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Am Chile wrote: »
    UNfortunately some people still belive if they don,t pay they be left on their own, the anti household tax campaign has a legal team ready to defend me,and defend all other non payers.

Will the legal team still be around in 5 or 10 years when I might want to sell my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Will the legal team still be around in 5 or 10 years when I might want to sell my house.

The whole thing could be dropped when the next election comes about as parties will be making new promises to get elected. Though come to think of it F.G. promised not to pay "another red cent" to the banks and not to close hospitals etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

oldyouth wrote: »
    How many lawyers in this legal team? Would want to be 100s to defend the number of non- payers needed to make the campaign successful.

There,s more then enough,for everyone in every town who decides not to pay, there,s a campaign there behind them with legal defence ready, second like the previous anti water charges campaign they won,t be able to bring everyone to court as it will be too costly.

• Advertisement

There's little evidence of a conspiracy here.

I'm going to pay mine before the end of the week. Might as well pay it now while I have the cash, in case I'm stuck for it further down the line. I suspect I'm not the only person who employs this logic.

If you read over my last post, IM skeptical and find it hard to beleive they got over 4,000 tp pay it in a few short hours-especially the only source for the figure is coming from the household charge board itself,quick question to those who might beleive yesterdays news, most of us are also aware about the public anger at septic tank charges, some of us have seen the protests in galway and donegal just before christmas, if rte ran a story tomorrow claiming over 4,000 registered to pay the septic tank charges in a few short hours,would you beleive it or would you take it with a grain of salt?
    I'm going to pay mine before the end of the week

Why do you intend on paying so soon? why don,t you want to wait until the middle of march and see what,s happening before paying?

What makes you think property tax will still be in by then? every threat that,s being made,threat about docking wages,threat about not selling house, there,s a legal team ready to challenge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I paid it on Tues 3rd Jan 2012.

I fully support a property tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

K-9 wrote: »
    Because cutting back to 02 levels means a resultant decrease in tax revenues to something like 98 levels. So we then have to cut expenditure to 98 levels!

This is not correct, about 80% of the workforce would still pay the same amount of tax as they do at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I rang them this morning because there was a bit of a foul up with the payment i made last night on the website.

Seems to be sorted now and the call centre in the background sounded like it was snowed under for the 15 minutes I was on with them. Was on hold for 10 minutes beforehand as well. People are definitely paying it early.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Apparently 10,000 have paid it already according to Phil Hogan in the Irish Times today.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭maryishairy

I paid my household charge this morning. The argument that it's €100 this year but will rise to €500-€1,000 in 2013 or 2014 is redundant as the household charge will only be in place for a year or two until the new property tax is introduced (and it will be introduced no matter how loud the anti- campaign squeal).

According to CSO figures, there were 1.4M private households in Ireland in 2006. If a large percentage do not pay (35% will not pay on the boards.ie poll), this could result in a couple of hundred thousand people leaving themselves open to prosecution for a charge that will not exist in a year or two....baffling:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Geuze wrote: »
    I paid it on Tues 3rd Jan 2012.

I fully support a property tax.

Why do we need a tax on the family home? It has no income.

Why not just increase income tax?

(Property tax is equivalent to approx €200 gross wage)

It doesn't have to be paid until March 31. They can wait!

I paid my household charge this morning. The argument that it's €100 this year but will rise to €500-€1,000 in 2013 or 2014 is redundant as the household charge will only be in place for a year or two until the new property tax is introduced (and it will be introduced no matter how loud the anti- campaign squeal).

According to CSO figures, there were 1.4M private households in Ireland in 2006. If a large percentage do not pay (35% will not pay on the boards.ie poll), this could result in a couple of hundred thousand people leaving themselves open to prosecution for a charge that will not exist in a year or two....baffling:confused:

Call it what you like, it's still the same tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

There,s more then enough,for everyone in every town who decides not to pay, there,s a campaign there behind them with legal defence ready, second like the previous anti water charges campaign they won,t be able to bring everyone to court as it will be too costly.
    So you think that a bank of lawyers will be available to me for a free consultation when Wexford District Court holds a session to process possibly 100 individual cases during any given session :rolleyes:

Have you ever been in a court house when prosecutions for not having a TV licence are processed? I have and I can tell you it's like shelling peas. Blink and you've missed a dozen cases. Once you have the judgement against you, you're fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Jose1

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's €100, that's around €8.33 a month.

I'm finding it absolutely baffling how people can get worked up over this, yet will happily spend as much on a single drink on a night out....

Get a grip. Seriously.

If that were the end to it I'd have to agree with you, but I fear it's merely the beginning:rolleyes:

Gophur wrote: »
    Why do we need a tax on the family home? It has no income.

Why not just increase income tax?

(Property tax is equivalent to approx €200 gross wage)

It doesn't have to be paid until March 31. They can wait!

Don't worry. You will get your income tax rise soon enough. This is just the softening up process to get your name on file.
    You will also get your water tax, service tax and the full property tax soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Jose1

If you read over my last post, IM skeptical and find it hard to beleive they got over 4,000 tp pay it in a few short hours-especially the only source for the figure is coming from the household charge board itself,quick question to those who might beleive yesterdays news, most of us are also aware about the public anger at septic tank charges, some of us have seen the protests in galway and donegal just before christmas, if rte ran a story tomorrow claiming over 4,000 registered to pay the septic tank charges in a few short hours,would you beleive it or would you take it with a grain of salt?

Why do you intend on paying so soon? why don,t you want to wait until the middle of march and see what,s happening before paying?

I personally have no reason whatsoever to disagree with the figures banded about by the Household Charge Board! Why on earth would they want to lie about it? It's a tax on property which simply has to be paid, full stop!

Your reasoning on waiting until March to pay has merit, and indeed will be the case for the vast majority, but if you're waiting for a change of heart, well quite frankly, you've no chance!

Pay now, pay in March, or pay the fine:eek:............. choose well!

Jose1 wrote: »
    If that were the end to it I'd have to agree with you, but I fear it's merely the beginning:rolleyes:
    Of course it is only the beginning. I fully expect it to go to €500, €600, €700 and beyond. I'm not happy about it but do you not realise how much debt every citizen of this country has been burdened with?

Now we can sit all day on the internet discussing who caused it and who SHOULD be made pay it, but in the end, Joe Soap is the only one who is going to pay the price. Let's move on and rebuild this nation for the sake of our children's generation because no one else will do it for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

There seem to be plenty out there who are well bet down when it comes to this tax and the way things are in general in this country.

Imagine thinking that it's fair!

I look forward to my day in Court, not that I expect it to happen.

Earmarked for local services my arse. This money is going one place and one place only, to pay off a debt that isn't ours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

A lot of controversy around the site where you pay. It asks for your pps number which is not needed by them, just your name and address. http://obriend.info/2012/01/04/household-chargea-data-protection-kerfuffle-in-the-making/ Why do they need it? The Data Protection Commissioner has raised concerns about the use of ESB info to identify owners of houses. http://www.thejournal.ie/data-protection-commissioner-concerned-over-household-charge-collection-320242-Jan2012/ All very draconian and looks like they are setting us up for something bigger: the property tax and beyond. Its a relatively small amount but the measures being utilised are being done in order to create a precedent for future moves by the government.

Moojuice wrote: »
    A lot of controversy around the site where you pay. It asks for your pps number which is not needed by them, just your name and address. http://obriend.info/2012/01/04/household-chargea-data-protection-kerfuffle-in-the-making/ Why do they need it? The Data Protection Commissioner has raised concerns about the use of ESB info to identify owners of houses. http://www.thejournal.ie/data-protection-commissioner-concerned-over-household-charge-collection-320242-Jan2012/ All very draconian and looks like they are setting us up for something bigger: the property tax and beyond. Its a relatively small amount but the measures being utilised are being done in order to create a precedent for future moves by the government.

"come into my parlour" said the spider to the fly.

So you think that a bank of lawyers will be available to me for a free consultation when Wexford District Court holds a session to process possibly 100 individual cases during any given session :rolleyes:

Have you ever been in a court house when prosecutions for not having a TV licence are processed? I have and I can tell you it's like shelling peas. Blink and you've missed a dozen cases. Once you have the judgement against you, you're fecked.

If you re from wexford I suggest you contact the campaign there and talk to them about the legal defence aspect, one of the things I did was question is there legal defence provided for non payers,Once I knew there was I signed up for it.

If you re from wexford I suggest you contact the campaign there and talk to them about the legal defence aspect, one of the things I did was question is there legal defence provided for non payers,Once I knew there was I signed up for it.
    No thanks, I've spent a lot of time in court rooms (for work :p) and I don't want to go back as a customer. I'm paying up, moving on and waiting for the next cock-up we find ourselves in

Why on earth would they want to lie about it?

Why on earth do politicians lie about anything, why on earth did they lie about lisbon bringing jobs? why on earth did they lie about keeping roscommon hosptital open?

In the event of mass non payment do you really think they re gonna openly admit what the real numbers not paying are and not spin the numbers to make it appear more people are paying then what they actually are?

Again the actual source for the numbers paying
    The statistic comes from a body most of you will never have heard of before – the “Household Charge Project Board

http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2012/01/04/700-pay-the-new-e100-property-charge-judas-goats-or-patriotic-realists/

Also do the maths - the government want to get 1.6million households to register for this between now and the end of March i.e over a 12 week period. That works out at nearly 135,000 people per week - puts the over 6,000 figure into perspective.
    Pay now, pay in March, or pay the fine............. choose well!

I won,t be paying now, I won,t be paying in march, and I won,t be paying any fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭EmptyWithMe

My mom's not paying ours and I fully support her. She's recovering from breast cancer and has her last (hopefully) operation coming up in February. As soon as a year had passed since her diagnosis, her medical card was revoked. We're by no means a high earning household, and now we've to find a few thousand for her operation? I'll pay the charge myself when she gets her card back. That won't happen, though.

No thanks, I've spent a lot of time in court rooms (for work :p) and I don't want to go back as a customer. I'm paying up, moving on and waiting for the next cock-up we find ourselves in

Hope you don,t mind asking, do you live in rural Ireland or do live in an urban area? you do know a full property tax is coming with combined water charges, or combined with a septic tank charges if you live in rural Ireland, my question are you prepared to pay a full property tax combined with water charges, or combined with septic tank charges if you happen to live in rural Ireland?

Don't worry. You will get your income tax rise soon enough. This is just the softening up process to get your name on file.
    You will also get your water tax, service tax and the full property tax soon enough.

I paid well more than my fair share of tax last year, and look likely to do the same this year. I have no problem paying for services but I do have a problem when asked to pay and get nothing back.

As I posted previously, the Council already get €1,000 per year, directly, from me. I will be doing my damndest this year, and from now on, to avoid paying excessive tax. My payslip, compared to 6 years ago, is frightening. The increase in taxes is hard to fathom and justify.

Step one is to take my 2 litre car off the road for the month of January. That's €55 less income than was budgeted by my local council, and half way towards paying my so-called property tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

Noticed today whilst on newpropertytax.ie (crashed now) that there are certain exemptions. Among them are "properties that are vested in a minister of the state" . Whats the betting that these greedy bloodsucking shower of useless wan*ers wont take advantage of this clause to avoid paying for their personal properties???!!!

• Advertisement

Gophur wrote: »
    I paid well more than my fair share of tax last year, and look likely to do the same this year. I have no problem paying for services but I do have a problem when asked to pay and get nothing back.

As I posted previously, the Council already get €1,000 per year, directly, from me. I will be doing my damndest this year, and from now on, to avoid paying excessive tax. My payslip, compared to 6 years ago, is frightening. The increase in taxes is hard to fathom and justify.

Step one is to take my 2 litre car off the road for the month of January. That's €55 less income than was budgeted by my local council, and half way towards paying my so-called property tax.

I'm afraid they have stopped that too as far as I know. You pay whether its on or off the road now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement