Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Slick50 wrote: »
    So how have we gone thirty odd years without it, yet have had all these services (such as they are) in the interim?

more over HOW can we still be on 2003 levels of tax take, a fecking BOOM time amount and not pay for services ?

how about we cut the waste and balacnce the books before we take money off grannies and blind people ?

FFS 2003 wages were damn good in the PS and social welfare.

and what are we gonna do this year?

fork out another 250 million in increases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

gerryo777 wrote: »
    As far as I know the UK are subsidising us to the tune of €7 billion. You know, money we had to borrow to bail out our bankrupt banks.

You know the difference between a loan and a year on year subsidisation, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

So how have we gone thirty odd years without it, yet have had all these services (such as they are) in the interim?

Maybe it had something to do with the money we were taking hand over fist from other European Union members whose citizens pay property taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Anyone wrote: »
    €170m doesnt cover anything, its a drop in the ocean. So I cant see how,if at all, thats being used to pay the bondholders, so in my opinion thats nonsense talk.

If that's all it is I don't know why they bother going through so much trouble to try and get this tax so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

dvpower wrote: »
    Its in the legislation I believe.

And? If you get talking to some chugger on the side f the street he'll tell you some similar story.

How much of that €100 goes on services? Not pension schemes, not debts, not waste, but actual services provided. Fuhk all I'd say.

Government = Chuggers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

eth0 wrote: »
    As in, almost no services at all. I'd be glad if they didn't bother with the small few things they bother with cause I'd do it for less than 100e myself.

We simply wouldn't borrow. The inflated public service wages will have to go but theres a lot that can be done with the tax they're getting in now if they didn't waste it.

Who cleans the streets, who tidys the parks, who cleans the water, who repairs the roads, who repairs drains, I can go on and on and on.

As for not borrowing, every country borrows, EVERY country. We half to borrow more because we currently run a deficit. If we tackle that then the amount we need to borrow is reduced, but even if we do, we still need to borrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

€170m doesnt cover anything, its a drop in the ocean. So I cant see how,if at all, thats being used to pay the bondholders, so in my opinion thats nonsense talk.

You don't think it's enough to cover all LA's in the country either do you, that's equally nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Yeah, you're right, we haven't got the rest of the UK to subsidise us.

Ouch Francis. Very ouch.

However, I think you'll find that the UK did play a considerable part in our bailout.

Think before you type man. FFS :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

You know the difference between a loan and a year on year subsidisation, right?
    Yea, loans have to be paid back by screwing everyone for every type of unjust and unfair tax that can be thought of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

eth0 wrote: »
    If that's all it is I don't know why they bother going through so much trouble to try and get this tax so

So many business's have gone bust, look in any town in Ireland and you will see empty shops,empty offices, these generated rates for the local councils. That revenue has been decimated, and it needs to be generated again.

Anyway, I was countering your "bondholder" arguement....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

steve9859 wrote: »
    I agree with almost all of that. And we need to tax a home and impose water charges, to balance the books, just like everyone else. But in the rest of Europe taxes are based on residence, not ownership. Much fairer if you buy the premise that the tax is to fund local services. I would not dispute a UK style 'council tax' but I do have issued with a property tax
    But why the need to make the specific link to local services. We have total spending which needs to be matched by total income (and a lot more for a good few years). Where is the rational in ring fencing any monies collected?

And in any case there will be resistance to any such charge no matter how it is structured. "It's my house FFS, this is a free country" as somebody puts it above. :pac:

steve9859 wrote: »
    What FG is actually doing is akin to a wealth tax, but they've missed the fundamental point that property ownership and wealth are no longer one and the same like they were a generation ago
    I can quite see how, in its current form, it can be described as a wealth tax, given that it is a flat rate of €100?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

prinz wrote: »
    Maybe it had something to do with the money we were taking hand over fist from other European Union members whose citizens pay property taxes.

This argument is idiocy, our other taxes paid for these things until now, paye, vat etc, they wouldn't need this money if they didn't pay civil servants too much and burned the bond holders.

laugh wrote: »
    This argument is idiocy, our other taxes paid for these things until now, paye, vat etc,...

They didn't. Hence the reason our country is running a deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

crazygeryy wrote: »
    No they wont it said on the radio adverts that no invoices will be sent out it must be paid by march 31st etc etc

Invoices will be sent out.

The_Thing wrote: »
    Utility bills do not prove ownership.

An post have your name and address. It's how you get your mail. It's nothing to do with utility bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

You are aware that we have a bit of an 'aul budget problem at the moment?

No wonder the country is fúcked. Our economic situation is all we've heard about for nigh on three years and still there are people with not the first clue what's actually going on. Christ on a bike.

This argument is idiocy, our other taxes paid for these things until now, paye, vat etc, they wouldn't need this money if they didn't pay civil servants too much and burned the bond holders.

So what exactly is my paye tax used for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Kirby wrote: »
    Invoices will be sent out.

An post have your name and address. It's how you get your mail. It's nothing to do with utility bills.

If you rent, an post have your address too, what's your point?

And what money would that be? they certainly weren't giving us money to run local authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

Keep it up folks.Over 1 million have not payed yet.By this time next week all the government will be talking about is scrapping this stupid tax.

• Advertisement

So many business's have gone bust, look in any town in Ireland and you will see empty shops,empty offices, these generated rates for the local councils. That revenue has been decimated, and it needs to be generated again.

Anyway, I was countering your "bondholder" arguement....

So you think its alright to try and milk tax from the owners and former employees of these places after they've gone bust?

I know one place that closed cause they couldn't afford the rates and I dunno what will happen to them if they had to pay 500e property tax and they certainly don't live a lavish lifestyle they can cut back on, no sky or broadband in this place.
    Who cleans the streets, who tidys the parks, who cleans the water, who repairs the roads, who repairs drains, I can go on and on and on.

As for not borrowing, every country borrows, EVERY country. We half to borrow more because we currently run a deficit. If we tackle that then the amount we need to borrow is reduced, but even if we do, we still need to borrow.

if things are going good in a country they might borrow because of low interest rates and it's convenient to have the money laying around. they might be making a fortune off lending to other countries and dont necessarily need the money at all.

So what exactly is my paye tax used for?

http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/economy/taxes.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

actually they did

up to 2000 we were an export led economy with balanced books.

its the ponzi scheme from then on that relied on stamp duty, which ahern and co threw at "partnership" to buy industrial and political peace.

and right now were STILL on 03 tax returns.

so simply slash away all the stuff he threw it at since then and we'll be grand without new taxes.

course that means UCD librarians cant earn 140k a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Christ on a bike.

Motor tax must be crucifying him.

mikom wrote: »
    Motor tax must be crucifying him.

We'll have to bring in a puncture kit tax.

Ok little boy go play with your bricks since you cannot debate with the adults.

lugha wrote: »

Ooooh!:cool: Really?. Why didn't somebody say so earlier?

The oracle has landed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

We'll have to bring in a puncture kit tax.

Told you.......
    Fix the puncture and the potholes..........then get back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

squod wrote: »
    And? If you get talking to some chugger on the side f the street he'll tell you some similar story.

How much of that €100 goes on services? Not pension schemes, not debts, not waste, but actual services provided. Fuhk all I'd say.

Government = Chuggers
    You asked for some back up for a statement that the tax is going to local government services and when pointed to the legislation, this is your response.

I don't know why you bother asking when you were never going to listen to any answer that doesn't match your own predujice.

• Advertisement

lugha wrote: »

So lets just take an arbitrary amount from anyone who isn't out on the street or in a caravan yet, regardless of what kind of 'aul budget problem those people might be having? As long as the government gets its money, worry about everyone else later or not at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement