Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

prinz wrote: »
    No, public, private top down, it filters right down to Joe Soap who thinks they are entitled to free water, free services, free national TV services, extremely generous welfare, etc etc

and here i thought general taxation paid for that !

didnt know there was a magic clean water tree .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

and here i thought general taxation paid for that ! didnt know there was a magic clean water tree .

And what percentage of the population isn't even in the tax net?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

No, public, private top down, it filters right down to Joe Soap who thinks they are entitled to free water, free services, free national TV services, extremely generous welfare, etc etc

Where do we get these 'free' things you talk about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

I just want to say thanks to the poster who added the 'may they die roarin' tag to this thread - my sentiments exactly.

everyone !

you know a way to avoid VAT ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Unfortunately not - these days we borrow from the EU/IMF for that.

everyone ! you know a way to avoid VAT ?

Oh good jaysus. Píssing in the breeze I see.

We complain about TV license.. it's more expensive other places.
    We complain about property taxes.... they pay them other places.
    We complain about... and so on and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

donalg1 wrote: »
    Seriously?

You complain about the state of the footpaths and then moan that paying €100. Do you not think the reason that the footpaths / roads are in bad condition is because there is not enough money to fix them.

If you are complaining about the lack of services provided by Local Authorities I assume you have paid your Household Charge?

These footpaths have been in this state for years my friend. Even during the bubble. Why? Are we not entitled to complain, given the taxes I already pay. The household "charge" is a con and a ruse. Anyone who believes otherwise needs their head examined. Really.

For example, people in a Corporation house allegedly, according to the propaganda, use the same "amenities" and "public services" that I do. Yet they are exempt? FFS it's a joke.:mad:

dvpower wrote: »

no THATs to keep "the lads" in clover.

if we took a slash hook to spending we could balance the books over night.

seriously why the hell are we payin INCREASES in the PS ?

lividduck wrote: »
    You must have one big hole then!:D
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Free water while its undrinkable? Yes, start charging me when I dont have to buy five litre bottles for drinking purposes.

What free services so we receive or expect?

Free National TV? Not me, our tv license (reluctantly) gets paid each and every year, even though RTE claw this money in, AND ruin every fcuking show every ten mins with their advertising revenue raising exercises.

Generous Welfare, I cant comment on tbh, not on SW, never have been, although I do feel that while the cost of living in Ireland is so high, it should be higher than the likes of countries like England.

Oh good jaysus. Píssing in the breeze I see.

We complain about TV license.. it's more expensive other places.
    We complain about... and so on and so on.

care to make a real point or are ya just raging youve been caught out on your bullshyte ?

we pay more indirect taxe than damn near any country in the world.

you'd have to go to scandanavia to get more tax take.

What would call 'the tax net'?

Is V.A.T not a tax?
    Is road tax not a tax?
    V.R.T?
    Fuel Tax?
    The list goes on and on.

Just because some people don't pay income tax doesn't mean they don't pay tax and just because some people are unemployed doesn't mean they don't pay tax.
    Everyone here pays tax in one form or another.

This latest effort is the final straw for a hell of a lot of people, myself included.

DON'T REGISTER / DON'T PAY.

'Naivety' seems to be today's word, and it's a trait that seems to be in much evidence on the 'no side'.

Frightening to think that presumably some of these people were trusted with mortgages of hundreds of thousands of euro.

Red herring that mortgage comment. The naivety and gullibility of the Yes camp is truly astonishing. For example: the money will go to local authorities my hole.

It's in evidence because it is, realistically, true.

And how are we going to pay back the EU/IMF? Through more taxes!!!

no THATs to keep "the lads" in clover.

seriously why the hell are we payin INCREASES in the PS ?

Because the ones charged with change are the ones most affected by it - ergo nothing will change. I can't wait for the week when that €400m loan will be refused. And that day is coming.

What cuts would you make to 'balance the books overnight'?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

Which other places?

Can you tell us how the economies of these other places are doing currently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

'Naivety' seems to be today's word, and it's a trait that seems to be in much evidence on the 'no side'.

Frightening to think that presumably some of these people were trusted with mortgages of hundreds of thousands of euro.

Naive is a suitable word you use alright. They were given mortgages by banks that felt they (banks) could not lose no matter what happened. The banks are supposed to be the financial experts, not the mortgage applicants.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    And how are we going to pay back the EU/IMF? Through more taxes!!!
    We're going to have to stop borrowing the money for our day to day spending before we can start paying down the debt.
    On top of spending cuts, this is being done by raising taxes to pay for our services - like the household tax.

• Advertisement

Which other places?
    Can you tell us how the economies of these other places are doing currently?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Property_tax

Knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

alastair wrote: »
    Oh yes you will. And I wagered a nice €100 to that effect a couple of weeks back.

Oh no I won't. Will go to prison instead if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

You forgot to answer the second question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

Freddie59 wrote: »
    These footpaths have been in this state for years my friend. Even during the bubble. Why? Are we not entitled to complain, given the taxes I already pay. The household "charge" is a con and a ruse. Anyone who believes otherwise needs their head examined. Really.

For example, people in a Corporation house allegedly, according to the propaganda, use the same "amenities" and "public services" that I do. Yet they are exempt? FFS it's a joke.:mad:

good on you Freddie59, totally agree with that, there are so many unfair aspects to this tax, the greatest of which is it is being forced on people by our government and the IMF to pay gambling debts....all of you who have already paid this household tax are sheep....baaaaaa!.... bend over guys and take your fisting from europe!!....
    this was your chance to say stop!...enough is enough!....tell our useless politicians to sort out our spending, sort out the corruption, bring people to justice....but no....you have decided to take a fisting from our politicians and hand over your cash....good on ye all....wastes of space...traitors to the Irish people
    I want gov. to cut spending on social welfare by at least another 3 to 4 billion € right away, cut the lifetime dole entitlement etc. etc. etc. etc.....as it stands it does not pay me to go to work, any further tax increases is only taking the p!ss and will ultimately destroy what's left of the economy.....what hope is there for a society where you are better off financially sitting on your ass all day rather than going to work???.....but it appears that's what the government wants

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

lugha wrote: »
    Ah the mystical home reference again! I am perplexed as to why the "home" should be exempt from tax.

Why not insist that you do not pay tax on your car, or your food, or clothes, or pretty much everything else? What exactly sets the home apart (and how have all of Europe got this so wrong?)

And also, why does it matter then that this is an unjust or unfair tax, if there is some fundamental reason why the home should not be taxed?

Ah same old s*** again.
    My home does not use the roads - my car does.
    Why should I pay for my home when others do not have to ? Same S*** back at ya.

What cuts would you make to 'balance the books overnight'?

straight off the top of my head?

close the 800 quangos and put control of their responsibiltieys back with the depts involved.

sack 65000 PS workers on a last in first out basis.

ya do this by closing ALL the hospitals, libraries, swimining pools , civic offices and buildings that were gifted to bertie aherns backbenchers to keep them sweet from 2000 onwards.

abolish childrens allowance and replace it with a payment recieved once a year that you have to apply for with proof that your not earning over 35k a year.

abolilsh the foreign aid budget till were solvent again.

cap all wages and pensions to 35k a year in the PS in ALL sectors using 100% taxation on amouts over that till were solvent again and then review increases ONLY in relation to sectoral norms in comparable economies.

anyone that doesnt like that gets an out to their contract.

revaluate all contracts issued by gov over the last 12 years to see if its merrited or a payoff by previous govs to keep votes.

cancel those not viable.

and that just to start.

dont confuse me with some lefty .

We're going to have to stop borrowing the money for our day to day spending before we can start paying down the debt.
    On top of spending cuts, this is being done by raising taxes to pay for our services - like the household tax.

How much of the €80 odd billion we're borrowing went to unsecured bondholders and bankrupt banks?
    And they are bankrupt, both financially and morally!

close the 800 quangos and put control of their responsibiltieys back with the depts involved.

ya do this by closing ALL the hospitals, libraries, swimining pools , civic offices and buildings that were gifted to bertie aherns backbenchers to keep them sweet from 2000 onwards.

abolish childrens allowance and replace it with a payment recieved once a year that you have to apply for with proof that your not earning over 35k a year.

cap all wages and pensions to 35k a year in the PS in ALL sectors using 100% taxation on amouts over that till were solvent again and then review increases ONLY in relation to sectoral norms in comparable economies.

revaluate all contracts issued by gov over the last 12 years to see if its merrited or a payoff by previous govs to keep votes.

cancel those not viable.

and that just to start.
    There is zero chance of getting anything approaching this through the Dail - you are completely out of sync with the electorate. But feel free to campaign on this platform in the next GE.
    I think you're safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

didnt know there was a magic clean water tree .

All the things that don't benefit you in any way and most likely wouldn't affect your life if they were gone are paid by general taxation.

Everything that you as an ordinary person (not on the dole) see any benefit of is paid by motor tax and this impending property tax, or so they'd like to let on. If you're not getting any handouts then everything can be written down as a 'local' service.

• Advertisement

cancel those not viable.

and that just to start.

If jack o'connor read this his head would just, explode!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement