Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

No, you were asked to balance the budget over night. Try and keep up.

And what are your solutions. Sure this measly €100 tax isn't going to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Straight from the horses mouth: they have no database for bills, and registration is all about building that. Don't Register, Don't Pay!

"When we started this... we certainly had an informal conversation with An Post," Mr McSweeney said.

"They require you to come in with an invoice. To generate an invoice, you need a database - that database doesn't exist.

"That's one of the purposes of the whole household charge, to create that database.Don,t Register Don,t Pay Don,t Help Build up any such database.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Am Chile wrote: »
    Straight from the horses mouth: they have no database for bills, and registration is all about building that. Don't Register, Don't Pay!

"When we started this... we certainly had an informal conversation with An Post," Mr McSweeney said.

"They require you to come in with an invoice. To generate an invoice, you need a database - that database doesn't exist.

"That's one of the purposes of the whole household charge, to create that database.Don,t Register Don,t Pay Don,t Help Build up any such database.

Thats just not accurate. CityPost messed it up so the government gave An Post the contract to send out information leaflets followed by invoices to every eligible person in the country. An Post have a database of their own. When 3/4 of the country refuse to register, payment will be looked for in this manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

goz83 wrote: »
    i thought that was for the banks. You can say money is for groceries when you've spent your grocery money in the bookies, but the money was still spent at the bookies. Same way they can say the house hold charge is for public services, when the intended funds were just paid to the bond holders. I believe that happened in the budget (-€170m)
    No.
    We are borrowing money for the banks, but even if we didn't have to recapitalise banks or pay back any of our debt, we would still have to borrow billions upon billions every year to pay for day to day services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Slick50 wrote: »
    You have to be a politician. Even the c*nts, past and present hadn't got the neck to give out pensions to themselves after five days in office, at least not so far. And you think it's short sited to have even "slightly" reduced it.
    Quite mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

prinz wrote: »

Jesus is this where you get your economic information? :eek:

Part of this is of course about harmonization of taxes across the EU.
    It makes it difficult for other European leaders to justify property taxes on their citizens if some other countries do not have them.

This is just one more small step towards that goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

mconigol wrote: »
    It makes it difficult for other European leaders to justify property taxes on their citizens if some other countries do not have them.

This is just one more small step towards that goal.

What absolute nonsense - Other European leaders don't have to justify property taxes as they have been in place for generations and are accepted by the majority of the population as being a sensible and stable form of tax income.

The citizens of other EU countries are not looking enviously at Ireland and wishing they could swap places with us - If any of them wandered into this thread they'd probably feel a mixture of bafflement and amusement at the arguments being put forward against a property tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Paid ours last night.
    Glad to have it out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

If any of them wandered into this thread they'd probably feel a mixture of bafflement and amusement at the arguments being put forward against a property tax.

Many of our European counterparts have been looking at the goings on in this country for many years with bafflement and amusement.

• Advertisement

What absolute nonsense - Other European leaders don't have to justify property taxes as they have been in place for generations and are accepted by the majority of the population as being a sensible and stable form of tax income.

The citizens of other EU countries are not looking enviously at Ireland and wishing they could swap places with us - If any of them wandered into this thread they'd probably feel a mixture of bafflement and amusement at the arguments being put forward against a property tax.

You forgot to quote me entire post. I'm sure that was an oversight.

Yes they will have to justify them if they want to harmonise the European tax base, which is the ultimate goal to stabilize the Euro.

That's common sense.

Edit: Don't assume I'm against that btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Freddie59 wrote: »
    These footpaths have been in this state for years my friend. Even during the bubble. Why? Are we not entitled to complain, given the taxes I already pay. The household "charge" is a con and a ruse. Anyone who believes otherwise needs their head examined. Really.

For example, people in a Corporation house allegedly, according to the propaganda, use the same "amenities" and "public services" that I do. Yet they are exempt? FFS it's a joke.:mad:

Well they are going to be in a state for years to come too, given that the Country is broke hence the need to raise more revenue.

I do however agree totally with what you say about tenants of Corporation and Council houses the fact they are exempt is a joke, seeing as they use these local services just as much as anyone else. They should have some equivalent charge applied to their rent each week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

donalg1 wrote: »
    I do however agree totally with what you say about tenants of Corporation and Council houses the fact they are exempt is a joke, seeing as they use these local services just as much as anyone else.

Everyone or no one.. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I'm not sure if people watched the 21.00 news last night but it looks like we are going to have to pump more money into our banks. House prices are continuing to fall yet people cannot get credit to purchase. As a result house prices will fall further. Greater negative equity and possibility of house mortgage defaults in huge numbers if people cannot sell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Well they are going to be in a state for years to come too, given that the Country is broke hence the need to raise more revenue.

I do however agree totally with what you say about tenants of Corporation and Council houses the fact they are exempt is a joke, seeing as they use these local services just as much as anyone else. They should have some equivalent charge applied to their rent each week

Tenants aren't exempt from paying for local services, they're exempt from a tax on property because they don't have property. See motor tax and non-motorists

alastair wrote: »
    Tenants aren't exempt from paying for local services, they're exempt from a tax on property because they don't have property. See motor tax and non-motorists

So they will be paying for footpaths, libraries, public lighting, public amenities etc? I had not heard the government planned a residential tax for tenants and those renting. That is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭apache6

dvpower wrote: »
    Does anyone know, if you need a tax clearance cert, but you haven't paid the charge, will the Revenue refuse it?

I spoke to my next door neighbour who works for the Revenue and he told me this charge is not a Tax per se so will not affect your Tax clearance cert.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    So they will be paying for footpaths, libraries, public lighting, public amenities etc? I had not heard the government planned a residential tax for tenants and those renting. That is good news.

No need to plan anything - the bulk of local authority funding will continue to come from other taxes, commercial rates, and (currently) borrowings.

Since this is called a Household Charge by definition those using the house should be responsible just as they are for ESB, phone and heating.

The property tax which will be in either next year or the following year should be paid by the owner. And if there is a water charge it should be paid by the tenant including those in social housing.

So your saying they won't be paying or shouldn't pay? You agree with the exemptions? Maybe we should also feed them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Everyone or no one.. :mad:

Exactly, everyone should be made pay something, otherwise its just another unfair charge that the middle income earners have to bear the brunt of, but sure thats the norm in this country and has been for years.

God forbid the Government upset those on Social Welfare sure they are the biggest contributors to the governments revenue take

apache6 wrote: »
    I spoke to my next door neighbour who works for the Revenue and he told me this charge is not a Tax per se so will not affect your Tax clearance cert.

It's not a dept of revenue tax, but it's a tax nonetheless. Has no impact on your revenue tax clearance. Same as if you didn't pay your commercial rates.

Exactly, everyone should be made pay something

they do.

So your saying they won't be paying or shouldn't pay? You agree with the exemptions? Maybe we should also feed them?

Okaay.:rolleyes:

Since this is called a Household Charge by definition those using the house should be responsible just as they are for ESB, phone and heating.

By that logic, you should be coughing up motor tax on your lawnmower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kronas

I'm just wondering, I don’t own my house until I pay the last payment on my morgage, So does the bank not own my house at the moment? should they not be paying "my" household charge/tax?

Starting a revolution redface.gif)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

So you still see it as purely a tax on home owners wealth. Nothing to do with fixing the country, which is what the leaflets tell us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

It will be great to see an influx of money into local services lol jk it'll all go into the black hole of the banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

kronas wrote: »
    I'm just wondering, I don’t own my house until I pay the last payment on my morgage, So does the bank not own my house at the moment? should they not be paying "my" household charge/tax?

Starting a revolution redface.gif)

This is a mis-conception. You do own it legally. The mortgage you are paying back on it is just secured against it as collateral.

The same as if you had mortgage fully paid, and took out another large loan, that loan would be secured on your house, and you could lose it if you fail to keep up repayments.

• Advertisement

By that logic, you should be coughing up motor tax on your lawnmower.

Okaaaaay.:rolleyes:

See how silly that is. Comparing the use of of public amenities (which this tax is being linked to) to linking lawnmower to motor tax.

I take it your happy for the rest of us to subsidise those who are exempt. Fair enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement