Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

dvpower wrote: »
    It is.

Is it though? If this money was given to local government, and then 170 million was removed, would it be seen as the property tax being removed for other expenditure?

But remove the 170 million first, then take the 160 million from us, and put it into local goverment, now its ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Backtracking from what exactly?

Simply replying to a poster who suggested that a 40% compliance rate would be judged a failure.

Unfortunately for you guys hoping this charge will be abolished, there's already enough people registered to eliminate any possibility of that happening.

Will I quote it for you again? 40% a success? Your own words.
    A 40% compliance rate by the deadline would be looked on as a success - certainly enough of a critical mass to render any calls to abolish the tax moot.

I've never said I was hoping the charge will be abolished. I've a good grasp of numbers however and don't consider 40% to be a success. Nor would most intelligent people.

With your logic we only need to pay back 40% of our debt and we have success. If you consider 40% to be a success it sheds serious doubt on your ability to rationally understand the position you are taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Well they offered me far more than I wanted plus money for a new car BUT Tayto Lover was very wise and rejected their advances. They were like "bold" women -- husseys.

Exactly you said no whereas many others said yes to a higher than 100% mortgage.

Bank: Here have x amount to build your house, oh and do you want another 50k added on so that you can go buy yourself some lovely furniture,

Borrower: why yes I do, that would be great now I can get all the furniture I want and get top of the range furniture too, finish my house to show house standard or higher, then wont I be the envy of all my friends.

Fast forward 2 years, and the same borrower is complaining to thier friends about negative equity and the fact that they are paying off a couch for the next 30 years!!

So at the end of the mortgage term they are on to their fourth couch yet are still paying for the first plus 30years interest on their €2,500 couch.

seamus wrote: »
    A 40% compliance rate on Sunday would be a stunning success.

I doubt that would of been the view held in december.

donalg1 wrote: »
    Exactly you said no whereas many others said yes to a higher than 100% mortgage.

Bank: Here have x amount to build your house, oh and do you want another 50k added on so that you can go buy yourself some lovely furniture,

Borrower: why yes I do, that would be great now I can get all the furniture I want and get top of the range furniture too, finish my house to show house standard or higher, then wont I be the envy of all my friends.

Fast forward 2 years, and the same borrower is complaining to thier friends about negative equity and the fact that they are paying off a couch for the next 30 years!!

So at the end of the mortgage term they are on to their fourth couch yet are still paying for the first plus 30years interest on their €2,500 couch.

Maybe a wealth tax on their couch is the answer.

• Advertisement

Mousewar wrote: »
    You're missing the point again. Obviously I chose to buy the house. But I didn't choose to buy with the knowledge that I'd have to pay a property tax. Introducing one after the event and on something that is a financial burden rather than an asset is repugnant.
    And negative issue is very much an issue when I could have 10 years less on my mortgage were I to have bought now rather than then.

Yeah but you didnt buy now you bought then, again this was your choice, hindsight has nothing to do with it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Yeah but you didnt buy now you bought then, again this was your choice, hindsight has nothing to do with it at all.

And there was no property tax then. There is now. Perhaps you should stop gleefully pointing how I didn't have a gun held to my head when I bought my house and start addressing the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

mconigol wrote: »
    Will I quote it for you again? 40% a success? Your own words.

I've never said I was hoping the charge will be abolished. I've a good grasp of numbers however and don't consider 40% to be a success. Nor would most intelligent people..

Still not seeing any backtracking.
    'Backtracking' would have suggested that at one point in the debate I suggested a 40% compliance rate was a failure
    mconigol wrote: »
    With your logic we only need to pay back 40% of our debt and we have success. If you consider 40% to be a success it sheds serious doubt on your ability to rationally understand the position you are taking.

Not sure where your getting this from, seeing as we're not discussing paying back debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

After the announcement of council workers going door to door-as predicted this would be a dangerous idea open to fraud-theres already fraudsters going door to door posing as council workers looking for money for the household charge.
    Meath Co. Council is warning homeowners not to hand over money after reports that people have been posing as council staff and knocking door-to-door to collect the household charge.

A number of such incidents have been reported in the Meath area in recent days.

In a statement, the council confirmed it does not have any staff or agents collecting the €100 levy on its behalf.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/council-warns-householders-not-to-pay-bogus-charge-collectors-545107.html

And there was no property tax then. There is now. Perhaps you should stop gleefully pointing how I didn't have a gun held to my head when I bought my house and start addressing the point.

There has always been a possibility of a property tax going back as far as 1995 it was being discussed but was always dismissed by successive governments as it would not win them too many votes which is what FF were all about regardless of the consequences of pleasing voters over doing their job.

How can a house be a financial burden today any more so than when you bought it?

For example your house is bought for 100k you pay €1000 per month for your mortgage, a year later its worth 110k and you pay €1000 per month, then a year after that the house is worth 90k and you still pay €1000 per month, nothing has changed there only the value of the house which only matters if you wish to sell it. Hence my argument that negative equity means sfa if you arent trying to sell the property.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Kirby wrote: »
    Thats just not accurate. CityPost messed it up so the government gave An Post the contract to send out information leaflets followed by invoices to every eligible person in the country. An Post have a database of their own. When 3/4 of the country refuse to register, payment will be looked for in this manner.

Theres leaflets being sent out-but no Invoices being sent out-listen to what paul mcsweeny actually said in the video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I wonder what happens to people who pay late (next week for example), in theory they will incur a late payment charge, but what if they send in the €100 next week without the late payment penalty charge? Might the €100 be rejected and sent back to them?

Doesn't affect me anyway, as I am not paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Just heard on Newstalk there that big Phils "officials" are going door to door in Meath collecting the household charge.
    Meath county council deny anyone has been sent out.
    Gardai saying to be vigilant.

Well played FG/LAB.
    From shambles to shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Am Chile wrote: »
    After the announcement of council workers going door to door-as predicted this would be a dangerous idea open to fraud-theres already fraudsters going door to door posing as council workers looking for money for the household charge.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/council-warns-householders-not-to-pay-bogus-charge-collectors-545107.html
    Scam artists posing as council workers??? What's the difference. You're being scamed either way!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭pennypitstop

Is this household charge being introduced to replace stamp duty revenue which has disappeared?

If so I can understand anyone who paid large amounts of Stamp duty being aggrieved (on principle) at having to pay another cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

There has always been a possibility of a property tax going back as far as 1995 it was being discussed but was always dismissed by successive governments as it would not win them too many votes which is what FF were all about regardless of the consequences of pleasing voters over doing their job.

How can a house be a financial burden today any more so than when you bought it?

For example your house is bought for 100k you pay €1000 per month for your mortgage, a year later its worth 110k and you pay €1000 per month, then a year after that the house is worth 90k and you still pay €1000 per month, nothing has changed there only the value of the house which only matters if you wish to sell it. Hence my argument that negative equity means sfa if you arent trying to sell the property.

Firstly, plenty of people do indeed need to sell their homes as they've lost their jobs and can't afford the mortgage. Now they're being taxed ont he precise thing that is dragging them down.
    Secondly, in my own circumstances where I paid a higher equity amount starting off, were I to have bought today rather than then, I'd be looking at either ten years less on my mortgage or 60k extra in my bank account.
    Don't say negative equity doesn't matter. It does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

LordSutch wrote: »
    I wonder what happens to people who pay late (next week for example), in theory they will incur a late payment charge, but what if they send in the €100 next week without the late payment penalty charge? Might the €100 be rejected and sent back to them?

Doesn't affect me anyway, as I am not paying.

That happened to me with the NPPR, another mess like the household charge. I was late paying and sent in what was owed less the fine. My cheque was returned to me. It's farcical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Is it though?
    Yes
    robbie7730 wrote: »
    If this money was given to local government, and then 170 million was removed, would it be seen as the property tax being removed for other expenditure?
    What was removed from local government? Most of the funding for local government comes from the center each and every year. The amount has been cut for the last few years, next year will be no different. The cuts from the exchequer are necessary because taxes that used to contribute towards this funding like stamp duty, has cleared up.

So its not a matter of removing money that was already given. Its about reducing funding because the income to support it is no longer there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Leslie91 wrote: »
    That happened to me with the NPPR, another mess like the household charge. I was late paying and sent in what was owed less the fine. My cheque was returned to me. It's farcical.
    What's farcical about it?
    You paid the wrong amount and they rejected the payment. You need to pay the full amount owing, including any fines.
    Were you trying to avoid the fine by ignoring it? - that would be farcical.

Firstly, plenty of people do indeed need to sell their homes as they've lost their jobs and can't afford the mortgage. Now they're being taxed ont he precise thing that is dragging them down.
    Secondly, in my own circumstances where I paid a higher equity amount starting off, were I to have bought today rather than then, I'd be looking at either ten years less on my mortgage or 60k extra in my bank account.
    Don't say negative equity doesn't matter. It does.

I didnt say it doesnt matter I said it only matters if you are selling your house, its very simple really.

• Advertisement

Leslie91 wrote: »

But if you were late paying there would be a fine added to the amount, basically the amount due went up so sending in a portion of it obviously wouldnt be enough so the cheque was returned.

It would be like me sending in a cheque for the household charge for €2.50, I would expect that cheque to be returned to me also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Am Chile wrote: »

I didnt say it doesnt matter I said it only matters if you are selling your house, its very simple really.

Or if you go bankrupt

Or if you go bankrupt

When the property is put up for sale then

mikom wrote: »
    Just heard on Newstalk there that big Phils "officials" are going door to door in Meath collecting the household charge.
    Meath county council deny anyone has been sent out.
    Gardai saying to be vigilant.

Well played FG/LAB.
    From shambles to shambles.

So now its the fault of FG/LAB that some con man is going around trying to get money from people, I fail to see how they can be at fault for some scummy lad trying to con people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

lol i will laugh so much if hackers DDOS the website to register for household tax on march 31st... preventing loads of last minute registrations (and there will be loads cos most irish people are wimps when it comes to standing up to the government) from working.

thankfully i dont have to pay this charge cos i wasnt stupid enough to buy an overpriced poorly built shoebox in an estate that will be a ghetto in 15 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Ha ha !! Do I detect a big climb down here. 40% have registered with many of them exempt and its a success ???

What was the percentage uptake on the SSIA scheme again? Free money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Anyone wrote: »
    Why do people keep banging on about the money is going to the banks or the bondholders? Its 160m, that's not enough to cover anything either bank or bondholder wise. Makes you look incredibly miss informed if that's your argument for not paying.

Its 160 million now. Next year itll be more.. How much will it be worth when were paying 1000+ every year. Plenty for the bankers id imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

lol i will laugh so much if hackers DDOS the website to register for household tax on march 31st... preventing loads of last minute registrations (and there will be loads cos most irish people are wimps when it comes to standing up to the government) from working.

thankfully i dont have to pay this charge cos i wasnt stupid enough to buy an overpriced poorly built shoebox in an estate that will be a ghetto in 15 years time.

Good for you:rolleyes:

Anything in your crystal ball about the economy over the next few years?

More than likely someone who was not in a position to buy, and now attributes it to a nostradamus style gift of insight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Yes luckily for you where you live is already a ghetto so nothing to worry about there.

All those fools who wanted to put a roof over their families heads eh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement