Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

smash wrote: »
    I have answered every one of them Donal.

Or someone who will disregard everything that is said to them, twist stories, or need everything spelled out!

Have you really?

Please then provide me with a link that states that the household charge will be based on the amount you originally paid for your house next year.

I asked you that already and am still waiting. So you havent answered that.

You seem to say one thing then I tell you its wrong and you backtrack and claim you didnt mean it that way and its my fault for not understanding you!! I have not twisted anything you have said at any stage. You have changed your story everytime I prove you to be wrong, it would be much easier just to hold your hands up and admit your wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

alastair wrote: »
    What was the percentage uptake on the SSIA scheme again? Free money!
    Free money for people with money you mean. If you couldn't afford to save it was useless.
    What's an LA tenant? I'm a tenant, why should I pay the Household tax for the landlord? I move house every 6 months to a year (due to my job) around the country. Am I going to pay Household tax for places I rent off Landlords? Hell no. Landlords get rent off me. Enough. I'd love to try and see if my landlord will try and make me pay it. If you own a house, pay the taxes, be them Household or whatever that come with them.

Check the lease you sign. I doubt your landlord pays for bins, esb, gas, management fees. Or if he does, it's included in the rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

donalg1 wrote: »
    Please then provide me with a link that states that the household charge will be based on the amount you originally paid for your house next year.

I asked you that already and am still waiting. So you havent answered that.

Ok Donal I'll explain very slowly how this works.... You wanted someone to explain to you how negative equity would effect you if you weren't planning on selling. Numerous examples were given and you disregarded all of them. Then I gave an example of a tax based on purchase price and subsequently said it was a far out example because you wouldn't listen to the factual ones. I never said there were plans for it or that it would happen. I specifically stated it was a far out example but you still disregarded that statement and are looking for a link which does not exist because it was a far out example. I've said far out example enough now so I hope it sinks in this time. It's really not hard to follow a thread, I fail to see how you can't keep up and how you keep blatantly ignoring people when they are actually answering you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

admit it lads.

your starting to feel like fools having paid this now !

:D

24% today if the figures are right so it should be the 30% i mooted by saturday.

and to top it off scam artists are doing the rounds in meath !

:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

straight off the top of my head?

close the 800 quangos and put control of their responsibiltieys back with the depts involved.

sack 65000 PS workers on a last in first out basis.

ya do this by closing ALL the hospitals, libraries, swimining pools , civic offices and buildings that were gifted to bertie aherns backbenchers to keep them sweet from 2000 onwards.

abolish childrens allowance and replace it with a payment recieved once a year that you have to apply for with proof that your not earning over 35k a year.

abolilsh the foreign aid budget till were solvent again.

cap all wages and pensions to 35k a year in the PS in ALL sectors using 100% taxation on amouts over that till were solvent again and then review increases ONLY in relation to sectoral norms in comparable economies.

anyone that doesnt like that gets an out to their contract.

revaluate all contracts issued by gov over the last 12 years to see if its merrited or a payoff by previous govs to keep votes.

cancel those not viable.

and that just to start.

dont confuse me with some lefty .

Well said. As I have pointed out on numerous occasions, the €400m we borrow each week is primarily o fund much of the above. A bloated, overpaid and underworked Public Sector/Civil Service, along with an over-gnerous and widely-abused & unpoliced Social Welfare system.

If just €10 a week was stopped from the wages of the PS workers (one of the root causes of the deficit) almost the same amount would be raised as would be raised by everyone consenting to pay the household charge.

And that's just a tenner. Do the same with SW, and, well, even four year-old kids can work this one out. As an aside, one of the propaganda items for the household charge is the 'maintenance of open spaces'.

Like many housing estates across the country we pay a private contractor to maintain our green areas. Does this mean we can expect the Councils to take this over and give us the same level of service. And I don't mean the once-yearly cutting of two foot-high grass which Councils seem to think constitutes maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

mikom wrote: »
    Just heard on Newstalk there that big Phils "officials" are going door to door in Meath collecting the household charge.
    Meath county council deny anyone has been sent out.
    Gardai saying to be vigilant.

Well played FG/LAB.
    From shambles to shambles.

Given that Incidents of this nature have now occured, anyone whos not paying the household tax if they were to get a warning letter for non payment could easily claim some council workers knocked at my door for the money and I paid up there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

In case you were so inclined, the domain name https://www.householdcharge.com/ is available.

I reckon I could emulate the .ie site pretty easily with the cash going to my account.

Now if I was to do such a thing I would leave it till the last minute to launch it. Say Saturday morning. That way you'd catch the last minute rush and any publicity of it being a scam site wouldn't hit the news till the next day.

Say a quarter million try to register in the last 24 hours and you cream 10%. That would be 2.5 million euros.

In fact I reckon you could word it so that it was actually legal.

Just saying like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

oh ment to say FINALLY got the leaflet on the charge.

jesus its bleeding awfull.

the "final notice" thing is the biggest text on it and it looks more like some glossy from an estate agent.

compared to the big yellow "dont pay the charge " one that came in the door with it and its no contest on the design front.

and thats the THIRD one of them i got and the guys protesting came knocking about it months back (didnt answer the door, as couldnt be arsed. knew it was them as they put a leaflet in)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

oh ment to say FINALLY got the leaflet on the charge.

Ive still had no leaflet from anyone about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭tigger123

Ive still had no leaflet from anyone about anything.

Me neither, am living in Dublin City Centre, haven't heard a peep from anyone.

Absolutely LOVE the ‘123’ at the end of your name btw, very classy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Am Chile wrote: »
    Given that Incidents of this nature have now occured, anyone whos not paying the household tax if they were to get a warning letter for non payment could easily claim some council workers knocked at my door for the money and I paid up there and then.
    What good would that do them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

tigger123 wrote: »
    Me neither, am living in Dublin City Centre, haven't heard a peep from anyone.

Absolutely LOVE the ‘123’ at the end of your name btw, very classy :D

Ah, fellow member of the super exclusive 123 club, greetings.

That blows my theory, wondered if Id heard nothing as my estate is relatively new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

admit it lads.

your starting to feel like fools having paid this now !

:D

24% today if the figures are right so it should be the 30% i mooted by saturday.

Radio news bulletins currently reporting that the "surge" is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Am Chile wrote: »

That happened a few of my mates. Someone from the Council called and collected it and didn't give a receipt :rolleyes:

Radio news bulletins currently reporting that the "purge" is on.

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

GetWithIt wrote: »
    In case you were so inclined, the domain name https://www.householdcharge.com/ is available.

I reckon I could emulate the .ie site pretty easily with the cash going to my account.

Now if I was to do such a thing I would leave it till the last minute to launch it. Say Saturday morning. That way you'd catch the last minute rush and any publicity of it being a scam site wouldn't hit the news till the next day.

Say a quarter million try to register in the last 24 hours and you cream 10%. That would be 2.5 million euros.

Just saying like.

That name is now owned ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

That name is now owned ;)
    I reckon any oul domain purporting to be the household charge site would work in the final few hours when the real one is grinding to a halt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

GetWithIt wrote: »

Just saying like.

I'll offer you the fully €100,000 you need, but I'll be wanting 40% of the business :D

Lucinda Creighton now out saying that it is not being done properly.

The backpedalling is in full swing with only 25% registered and only a few days to go.
    I can see an embarrassing extension being announced and I wonder will Big Phil have the guts to announce it himself or will he send out a minion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Originally Posted by Am Chile Given that Incidents of this nature have now occured, anyone whos not paying the household tax if they were to get a warning letter for non payment could easily claim some council workers knocked at my door for the money and I paid up there and then.
    dvpower wrote: »
    What good would that do them?

I've heard numerous reports of no receipts being issued, might be a plausible story. (especially among the elderly)

Just to update you.

We got the 'final demand' leaflet through our letterbox today., so I think it's safe to assume if our house got it, my whole estate got them.

An estate of roughly 200 houses, each and everyone exempt from the household charge.

That's another fine example of 'useful things to do with tax payers money' disgrace, waste of somebody's time delivering them, waste of paper printing them, and it will all gave to be disposed off too.

Ghandee wrote: »
    I've heard numerous reports of no receipts being issued, might be a plausible story. (especially among the elderly)
    afaik, no council workers are going door to door as of yet. If and when they do, they will not be collecting money, according to some government spokesperson (can't remember who) I heard the other day - they will just be *reminding* people to go and make the payment.

The household charge people should really make a clear statement about this and stop rumours taking hold and unscrupulous people taking advantage of bad information.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Just to update you.

My house today got the 'final demand' leaflet through my letterbox today., so I think it's safe to assume my whole estate got them.

An estate of roughly 200 houses, each and everyone exempt from the household charge.

That's another fine example of 'useful things to do with tax payers money' disgrace, waste of somebody's time delivering them, waste of paper printing them, and it will all gave to be disposed off too.
    Its likely much cheaper to do a bulk leaflet drop than a selective one at this point.

dvpower wrote: »
    afaik, no council workers are going door to door as of yet. If and when they do, they will not be collecting money, according to some government spokesperson (can't remember who) I heard the other day - they will just be *reminding* people to go and make the payment.

The household charge people should really make a clear statement about this and stop rumours taking hold and unscrupulous people taking advantage of bad information.

I agree.

Let's be honest though, the elderly will fall for scams a lot less elaborate than someone saying they're representing the council.

I think that idea should be knocked on the head immediately.

alternatively, (as you've said yourself) the govt need to start making it abundantly clear that money should not, under any circumstances be given out to anyone at their front door.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Let us remember again how much FG can do a COMPLETE reversal in a many number of BIG ways...

...Within a 12 Month period!

Credit goes to Zerks for the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Was talking to a local authority employee today at lunchtime, he said he wouldn't refuse to visit homeowners if he was asked to do so, but would be advising people he met not to pay it. He showed me his anti-household charge membership card and said many of his colleagues were members too. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The_Thing wrote: »
    Was talking to a local authority employee today at lunchtime, he said he wouldn't refuse to visit homeowners if he was asked to do so, but would be advising people he met not to pay it. He showed me his anti-household charge membership card and said many of his colleagues were members too. :D

Exact same position as my sister who is also a local authority employee.
    She stated that many in her very building at local level, were not paying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

donalg1 wrote: »
    But what difference does it make to me if I dont intend to sell it? Why cant you answer that? Obviously they are worth less 180 is less than 200 but if it is worth 1 then what difference does it make if I dont intend to sell it.

I asked how negative equity affects someone in the case I used as an example and am still waiting for the answer

I did. Twice. It's not my fault if you don't understand basic finance.
    Anyone wrote: »
    Errr no...negative equity only occurs if you have a debt above the value of the house.

I didn't mention negative equity. I said your balance sheet would be affected negatively. That's nothing to do with negative equity.
    I see you've stopped arguing the point anyway, which I'll take as an admission that you've conceeded the argument - think before you post next time.

Still dizzy?? Because your not making much sense.

If it makes you happy I'll concede that 40% is a success purely because I wouldn't like you to get too lonely over there in fantasy land. It seems fairly bleak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

The_Thing wrote: »

So what your saying is that the big Phil could actually end up paying people to go around to actually discourage people to pay it? Classic Phil masterstroke!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement