Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

dvpower wrote: »
    How does one explain something slowly in a post?:confused: Did you type in your explanation slowly or what?

So hows Enda these days??:D

Did you notice how big Phil backtracked BIG STYLE when asked on the issue of revenue and council officials calling to peoples doors,when his own FG council member said that she would not be sending around any officials to peoples doorsteps.

So come on then,whats your next lame excuse to try and prop big Phil and little Enda back up then??????

PS=Phil Hogan talking absolute bullsh!t and backtracking seems to go hand in hand lately,eh???:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

dvpower wrote: »
    How does one explain something slowly in a post?:confused:
    by being repetitive about the point. However, he still managed to miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

There are people in this country who are fair and honest citizens who have been working hard,no payrise for the last few years,taking on extra workload paying extra taxes but understanding that this needs to be done to keep employment going.In addition have not overspent(possibly because even in the boom they did not have the means to).Didn't seek social housing but instead saved hard bought/built their own houses.Paid either stamp duty/service charges.These same people are within their rights to ask where that money went? This is an investment already put in our country.What has been the return? Politicians and bank managers,the very people who got us in this situation (not specifically speaking about mortgages here) get their massive salaries and pensions still.We all know the country is in a bad place. However I have only seen them go after the little person that they "think" have no voice. With a little balls they could go after the big guns that they could get money from quicker and a lot easier.
    The tribunal..Found that people were corrupt and didn't follow the code of conduct they should have.In my job it's a sackable offence. Are we still paying salary/pensions to these people? Dig deeper or look around you.How much could be recouped then?
    I would then be happy to make up the difference..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

People living in rezoned land shouldnt have to pay the charge,as their house most probably shouldnt even be there in the 1st place (Mahon Tribunal).

Now theres a good reason and excuse.;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

smash wrote: »
    donalg1 wrote: »
    So in other words you made it up and I am the one that looks foolish? Ok then. Please stop making things up on future ok smash then we won't have a problem
    No, in other words, I stated a fictional scenario and told you as such and you kept asking for proof. So yes, you do look foolish.

So you made it up then?

You didn't say it was a fictional scenario when you first posted it. It became such when I questioned you on it which is a convenient way to back track similar to your back track on the affordable housing and clawback yesterday

• Advertisement

So you made it up then?
    Wow the penny dropped.
    You didn't say it was a fictional scenario when you first posted it. It became such when I questioned you on it
    You asked for an example, I gave you one. I then said nothing was set in stone, but it was just a scenario. Then you kept asking for proof, and I kept saying it was just a scenario. If you pay attention you won't get confused.
    which is a convenient way to back track similar to your back track on the affordable housing and clawback yesterday
    I never back tracked once, I even told you to go and read my original post again because I was taking the piss. You even thanked that response. But then you brought it up again and then stated that I should read up about the social housing scheme because I owned a social house. Which again was not true, you just made it up because you had no point, as you have no point now.

Foolish Donal. Now go and answer some of the questions directed at you instead of coming back on me because you can't answer others. Or are you just not reading their posts either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Cicero wrote: »
    Those on unemployment assistance or those on a state pension have more disposable income than anyone else?????

I'd really like to see the figures behind that argument.:)

You never mentioned pensioners on state pensions and a lot of people on UA here know full well how to 'milk' the system.
    Wake up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

going into the same pot as motor tax !

jesus thats as good as saying fup all of it will be spent in your local area.

feck all of the motor tax take goes on the roads.
    So thats my question answered. Have'nt got services before,wouldn't be getting now...

So you made it up then?
    Wow the penny dropped.
    You didn't say it was a fictional scenario when you first posted it. It became such when I questioned you on it
    You asked for an example, I gave you one. I then said nothing was set in stone, but it was just a scenario. Then you kept asking for proof, and I kept saying it was just a scenario. If you pay attention you won't get confused.
    which is a convenient way to back track similar to your back track on the affordable housing and clawback yesterday
    I never back tracked once, I even told you to go and read my original post again because I was taking the piss. You even thanked that response. But then you brought it up again and then stated that I should read up about the social housing scheme because I owned a social house. Which again was not true, you just made it up because you had no point, as you have no point now.

Foolish Donal. Now go and answer some of the questions directed at you instead of coming back on me because you can't answer others. Or are you just not reading their posts either?

Where did I say you own a social house please show me. Just making stuff up again now aren't you?

You weren't taking the piss though you were serious you even tried to back up your claim with a definition of clawback. I then explained what it actually meant and showed you how you were wrong and it was then you back tracked and said you were missing.

You have continually posted stuff that is untrue or made up. And when I call you on it you say I'm a fool? Good one smash well done. Can't wait to see what you make up next or back track on.

But please show me where I said you owned a social house?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just listening to the late debate on this on RTE radio 1

anyone notice that RTE have a tendency to pump up the compliance figure and round down the total number of housholds ?

:D

according to clair byrne its 400k people now and earlier on this week RTE have cut the households from 1.8 million to 1.6., and now its 1.4 !

:):)

its like the war in iraq protests and the "50 thousand" that came out.

whats that ? it was 100k ?

oh well !

:D

• Advertisement

Where did I say you own a social house please show me. Just making stuff up again now aren't you?
    Maybe you should do some research on affordable housing seeing as you own one and your understanding of clawback is way off
    There you go. Social/affordable... you said it.
    You weren't taking the piss though you were serious you even tried to back up your claim with a definition of clawback. I then explained what it actually meant and showed you how you were wrong and it was then you back tracked and said you were missing.
    What I said was "On the Affordable Housing Scheme... let the government pay it! :D" That's taking the piss. But of course you wanted an argument about clawback.
    You have continually posted stuff that is untrue or made up. And when I call you on it you say I'm a fool? Good one smash well done.
    Thanks, but you can keep your pat on the back, it was all down to you really.

No run along and answer some of the questions directed at you that you are still ignoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Holy god Donal, let it go

Maybe you should do some research on affordable housing seeing as you own one and your understanding of clawback is way off
    There you go. Social/affordable... you said it.
    What I said was "On the Affordable Housing Scheme... let the government pay it! :D" That's taking the piss. But of course you wanted an argument about clawback.
    You have continually posted stuff that is untrue or made up. And when I call you on it you say I'm a fool? Good one smash well done.
    Thanks, but you can keep your pat on the back, it was all down to you really.

No run along and answer some of the questions directed at you that you are still ignoring.

Show me where I said you should do some research on social housing. The above only shows me where I said you should do some research on affordable housing.

Show me where I said you should do some research on social housing. The above only shows me where I said you should do some research on affordable housing.

:rolleyes: really?

I think you're about to become the first person on my ignore list.

:rolleyes: really?

I think you're about to become the first person on my ignore list.

Ha ha so you can't show me then and you can't admit your wrong again?

What an idiot.

Seriously stop making stuff up. Or are you now trying to say social and affordable housing is the same thing?

Holy god Donal, let it go

I will let it go when smash admits he is wrong about everything I have questioned him on. It's fairly clear to see he is wrong when I asked him to show me where I said he owns a social house and he quotes a post where I said he owns an affordable house and says there you go you said it. Can't be any more wrong he even proved it himself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Please... enough already!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod.

Lads, I'll thread ban both of you if you continue to bicker. That means even if you restart tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

coup1917 wrote: »
    Over 8500 posts here and god knows how many other threads on this...........
    I for one cannot wait for the end of the month for this deadline to pass and this rubbish to be finished with. As soon as this charge was mentioned i assumed it would be charged to peoples electricity bill and i still cannot understand why they left it to people to be honest enough to register...
    Now fianna fail are asking for an extension to help those who havent paid (due to lack of info on the process).... Come off it..! Everyone has known about this for at least 3 months and are well aware of what is required. The fact that the onus is on people to pay it has led to some absolute rubbish being spouted from all quarters... Ive had more leaflets through the door about not paying this charge and campaigns or marches being planned to boycott it....

Its time for the government to lay down a marker with this.
    - the late fines are a joke, people can well afford to sit it out until they are forced to pay
    - people are sick of paying charges when they see a certain element not paying any tax

the government need to be cruel to be kind here.. Property taxes are common in other euro countries - they arent implementing something off the wall. This tax needs to be brought in to steady the ship. Payment should be enforced not left for people to decide what is best for the country. They will never please everyone so should just remove all indecision from the equation. Fianna fail threw cash at everyone and anything so long as they remained in government. It just shows the unpopular decisions need to be made to run a balanced economy. Europe are paying our wages right now - they want the tax implemented and we are in no position to argue.
    The governments biggest mistake here was to leave this open to interpretation from every angle.... The softly softly approach is no use to the country anymore. Get this tax in and lets show some direction. We are wasting too much time arguing about this..
    property taxes may be common in other countries but is VRT common in these countries?...what about our ridiculous rates of rent supplement and social welfare payments?....what about our bloated public service?....what about our hugely overpaid civil servants and politicians for a country of 4 million people.....are these all common in other countries?......they may be!...in Italy, Spain, Greece and Portugal.....get real, we are F*cked up financially, raising extra tax is not the answer, you can only raise so much through taxing peoples income before the whole system will implode.....sort out the waste, there is plenty of it.
    "The governments biggest mistake here was to leave this open to interpretation from every angle.... The softly softly approach is no use to the country anymore. Get this tax in and lets show some direction. We are wasting too much time arguing about this"....wrong wrong wrong, the govs. biggest mistake was to try to bring in this tax in the first place, their second mistake was to threaten its' own people with fines, tracking people down etc.....who the f€ck do they think they are?....we pay their huge salaries....PH can go f*ck himself....all ye who have already paid this have in effect condoned all the actions of bankers, politicians and developers who got us into this sh!t.....you all have said "it's ok, ye f*cked up the country but here is my €100 for this year, i will give a lot more next year....carry on"

What an idiot.

Personal abuse. Nice... Welcome to my ignore list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Mod.

Lads, I'll thread ban both of you if you continue to bicker. That means even if you restart tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure I can't be the only one skipping over their posts by now.

Mod.

Fair enough I was done talking to him anyway complete waste of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

The reason we're known as "thick paddies" and that our government smugly rape us is because we can agree on nothing. For reference, see civil war. Nation of retards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

NO

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    ...all ye who have already paid this have in effect condoned all the actions of bankers, politicians and developers who got us into this sh!t.....you all have said "it's ok, ye f*cked up the country but here is my €100 for this year, i will give a lot more next year....carry on"

No, I hate the politicians and bankers for the part they played in this mess, however, I take a more pragmatic view than yourself. After careful consideration of the various options and scenarios open to us at the present, I've concluded that introducing property taxes as part of a strategy to balance the budget is the least worst option available.

Best to take the emotion and justifiable anger out of the equation and simply weigh up the alternatives.

On a more thread related topic I paid it today and now need not worry about fines or penalties or any of that,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The reason we're known as "thick paddies" and that our government smugly rape us is because we can agree on nothing. For reference, see civil war. Nation of retards.

Point of order.

We have agreed previously on peace deals, constitutional referendums, international agreements, local and national agendas and much more.

...And if we are a 'nation of retards' - wouldn't you be putting yourself down too?

I think we are a better nation in that we CAN disagree and still at times despite that, come together again in good Irish friendliness which we are supposed to be renowned for internationally.

Anyway, back on topic, the short version is that the whole thing has been a right fcuk-up by a government at least bringing in an unfair system.
    The consequences can be summed up within the meaning "Ye reap what you sow!"

No, I hate the politicians and bankers for the part they played in this mess, however, I take a more pragmatic view than yourself. After careful consideration of the various options and scenarios open to us at the present, I've concluded that introducing property taxes as part of a strategy to balance the budget is the least worst option abailable.

Really, yeah? Why not introduce a tax specifically for getting us out of the mess we're in? You know... rather than introducing a tax that can fluctuate at the whim of the government. So regardless of how incompetent they are or how badly they manage the economy, they can always rest safe in the knowledge that they can claim revenue from a tax who's rate they set at the expense of already struggling taxpayers who own homes.

Never mind. Can't be bothered arguing this point anymore. I digress. Pay it if you want to.

Really, yeah? Why not introduce a tax specifically for getting us out of the mess we're in?

What did you have in mind?

• Advertisement

What did you have in mind?

A tax formulated to help bridge the deficit until we're not longer in the red. Not an ongoing, indefinite tax to punish people who have bought homes.

Call it what you will but it's a simple solution. We're in trouble in the short term - maybe even in the long term. So let's find a way out. But let's not introduce a permanent tax which the government can use to clear up their ineptitude long after we're out of this mess (which, admittedly, might be a while)

Sorry, blank that. I had honesty in mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement