Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    anyone know how many have paid to date?

There was a number mentioned last night on RTE.
    Around 350K, give or take I think (however don't hold me to it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Biggins wrote: »
    There was a number mentioned last night on RTE.
    Around 350K, give or take I think (however don't hold me to it).
    thanks :) Will be interesting to see how the figures pan out between now and Saturday...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

funny how they can threaten the ordinary folk with court/jail etc for not paying this, yet let their own cronies do whatever the hell they like, put the country into bankruptcy, and yet not a word to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

the tags on this thread are hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

keithob wrote: »
    There new line is the law of the land.... WTF ??? does the law of the land not apply to the fckers who brought this country to its knees financially.

Where does the law of the land apply to Seanie Bertie Derek Quinlan ..... i could go on... they should be wearing balaclavas ....
    Ah sure what can you do with these scuts? We live in a country where quite a few people decide for themselves what laws they will obey and what ones they won’t. Terrible Joe. :)
    keithob wrote: »
    We must resist from paying this charge as a matter of principle.
    Alas, and despite this reality being pointed out many times, we (the taxpayer) will be paying, one way or the other. The only thing in question is how.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

About 420,000 according to this http://www.moneyguideireland.com/how-many-people-have-paid-the-household-charge.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ogham wrote: »

Strange! Looked it up.
    The government says different slightly due to processing!
    The number of properties that have been registered for the household charge was 395,232 at 5pm on 27th March 2012 according to the Local Government Management Agency

Note the following!
    They also said that there were about 20,000 registration forms that had not yet been entered onto the system. (So – that is a possible figure of 420,000 registrations.)

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/category/household-tax

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

Almost around the same number that gave Fianna Fail first preference vote in the last election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

and that's registrations, not necessarily payments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Almost around the same number that gave Fianna Fail first preference vote in the last election

Is that the sound of doubt creeping into to the 'Don't Register' campaign I can hear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

and it what one of the other lads on this thread has said is true it would include a fair number of people who are exempt as you have to register to get the exemption !

:D

looking good for my guestimate of 30% take up so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    t won't be easy but if our politicians had any [EMAIL="B@LLS"]B@LLS[/EMAIL] they could and should do all this first.....
    If they had balls, they would cut the salaries of all the politicians pay!

gov now admiting (think it was hayes , but it was on radio 1) that itll be christmas before they get full complaince !

EDIT.

It was varadkar. just on newstalk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

Is that the sound of doubt creeping into to the 'Don't Register' campaign I can hear?

The only sound of doubt is coming from the government,do you not listen to the news?

The only sound of doubt is coming from the government,do you not listen to the news?

I predict the following.

Govt will hold the line that there will be no extension to the deadline until Friday. On Friday afternoon, they will announce, that due to the sheer volume of people attempting to register in the last couple of days, the deadline will be extended by a number of days, perhaps even a week.

Media will continue to report a surge in numbers registering, those currently wavering or adopting a 'wait and see' approach will cave in and register during the extension period.

The 'Don't Register, Don't Pay' campaign will have failed to make the kind of statement that they had hoped - they really needed around 80-85% of the population to fail to register to have even a slim chance of getting this charge abolished.

You heard it here first.

I predict the following.

Govt will hold the line that there will be no extension to the deadline until Friday. On Friday afternoon, they will announce, that due to the sheer volume of people attempting to register in the last couple of days, the deadline will be extended by a number of days, perhaps even a week.

Media will continue to report a surge in numbers registering, those currently wavering or adopting a 'wait and see' approach will cave in and register during the extension period.

The 'Don't Register, Don't Pay' campaign will have failed to make the kind of statement that they had hoped - they really needed around 80-85% of the population to fail to register to have even a slim chance of getting this charge abolished.

You heard it here first.

shades of gay mitchell's presidential campaign there !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I predict the following.

You heard it here first.

Yea, fooling the nation with the 100 euro intro charge failed by the deadline, so try fooling them again.

jays phil hogan on pat kenny now talking about social solidarity.

i think there is phil !

but its not about PAYING this charge .

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

I predict the following.

You heard it here first.

You are probably right but there is a referendum coming up on the 31st of May. How many people will vote No just to give the government a kicking for the shyte way this was organised ? Also, how long before some opposition party starts using the property tax/household charge issue as a platform to gain votes (**cough, FF, cough**) at the next election. Promising this, that and the other with regard to who should pay, levels of payment, exemptions etc. Just more of the same old shennanigans to look forward to down the line. Oh and the prospect of abuse of this tax/charge should have people worried methinks.

jays pat opened a can of crap there on the notion of dublin house taxes being used to fund culchie councils !

Wait till someone latches onto that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I predict the following.

You heard it here first.

I have a €5 bet on paddy power 5/1 for less than 30% to have PAID by the dead line. I think I will throw another €15 at that bet, so I will be €100 up. I predict that a good few will register and pay just beyond the deadline, or within an extended deadline, but the government will have to take the funds in another way....most likely income tax. It will spell the end of them and they will spend another decade, or two trying to recover after the next election.

phil1nj wrote: »
    You are probably right but there is a referendum coming up on the 31st of May. How many people will vote No just to give the government a kicking for the shyte way this was organised ? Also, how long before some opposition party starts using the property tax/household charge issue as a platform to gain votes (**cough, FF, cough**) at the next election. Promising this, that and the other with regard to who should pay, levels of payment, exemptions etc. Just more of the same old shennanigans to look forward to down the line. Oh and the prospect of abuse of this tax/charge should have people worried methinks.

I also bet on a "NO" vote for the referendum. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/gene-kerrigan/gene-kerrigan-one-hundred-reasons-to-dislike-big-phil-3060496.html
    Last week, Phil announced that he has the legislation to break into our bank accounts and take the hundred euro. He can force companies to deduct it from wages, and state bodies to deduct it from benefits. And he will. "I'm not going to budge a bit," said Phil.
    Yesterday, the Irish Independent revealed that Phil has instructed councils to create "household charge collection teams", with hundreds of officials knocking on doors.
    These Little Phils (or Hogan beags), will look you in the eye and say, "Phil sent me to break your legs", or words to that effect.
    I wonder how many people will reply, in the words of Phil Hogan TD, when he was asked in February 2009 to take a 10 per cent voluntary cut in his €110,000 pay: "No. My personal circumstances don't allow that at the moment."
    Phil is on about €170,000 now, plus generous expenses. Just saying.
    I think if I get a notice in the door to pay it (still haven't got anything about it), I'll return it to the local council office with "My personal circumstances don't allow me to pay this" written across it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

http://www.thejournal.ie/homeowners-warned-over-bogus-household-charge-collectors-398857-Mar2012/
    THE GOVERNMENT HAS urged people to be vigilant after reports that con artists are attempting to take money from homeowners under the pretence of collecting the household charge.
    “Under no circumstances should people hand cash over to anybody purporting to be collecting the Household Charge,” the Department said in a statement

Must be the council knocking doors. You know...right hand not knowing what left hand is doing, even when both hands are chugging the life out of us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I think if I get a notice in the door to pay it (still haven't got anything about it), I'll return it to the local council office with "My personal circumstances don't allow me to pay this" written across it.

Good plan. Does this work with Income Tax too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

dvpower wrote: »
    Good plan. Does this work with Income Tax too?

At least income tax is based on income.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    At least income tax is based on income.

and how little of it can be avoided.

Just a thought. The government want to raise 160m from this charge. They could throw a bet on with the bookies for 40m for under 30% to have registered AND paid by the march 31 deadline. When they win, they win 200m. If they lose, well.....lets just say they have been known to lose more on other bets. The banks for example...

• Advertisement

goz83 wrote: »
    I have a €5 bet on paddy power 5/1 for less than 30% to have PAID by the dead line. I think I will throw another €15 at that bet, so I will be €100 up. I predict that a good few will register and pay just beyond the deadline, or within an extended deadline, but the government will have to take the funds in another way....most likely income tax. It will spell the end of them and they will spend another decade, or two trying to recover after the next election.

Haven't seen a worse bit of betting advice since this..
    The anti-household charge people still have time to put €50 on Long Run at 2/1. Come 3.30pm you'll have your charge paid for the next 12 months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement