Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Haven't seen a worse bit of betting advice since this..

I reckon the 5/1 odds are just about right. It'll take a few day to confirm all the numbers who have PAID by the deadline. In total, I now have €20 on that bet. Come on all the "NO" campaigners. I might be up €100, but the government will see none of it (except for the vat when i spend it). ....but I will likely just claim it back anyway hehehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Did hogan say he has 57 black sacks in his office? hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

why I wonder is the first piece of information I have received about this a threat.

Two days ago I received a final reminder?? telling me what it is being spent on, it all seems a bit wishy washy, how do I know it really is being spent on what it says.
    Why doesnt the Government itemise taxation so we (and presumably they) can see what is being spent on what and where?

Surely in a catchment area of a certain number of people, a certain amount of services are going to cost X (im not saying it is or isnt being spent on those services, just I dont really know)
    So why put all the tax money into a black bag (hole) and dip into it when they need to pay for stuff (services)? why not itemise it all, maybe then they could rank and rate performance and effectiveness and value for money based on actual performance of services paid out of the tax pot??

I'd even be inclined to pay if I thought the above might be done even if I knew it would increase, all I am aware of now is that they are assuring us it will increase and to an as of yet unknown (maybe unaffordable level) and that really its all wishy washy as to what it will be spent on really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

dvpower wrote: »
    Good plan. Does this work with Income Tax too?

Haven't got a letter in the door requesting income tax either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Merch wrote: »
    So why put all the tax money into a black bag (hole) and dip into it when they need to pay for stuff (services)? why not itemise it all, maybe then they could rank and rate performance and effectiveness and value for money based on actual performance of services paid out of the tax pot??

Ballymun will get better services than I will and 50% of the population there won't have to pay. Phil Hogan should just fuhk off.

Performance related anything in PS land is off the table. There's no sign of anyone hiring process engineers in any of the government departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I don't care what the money is going toward.

I don't need to riot to protest.

Suspend all payment to suspected corrupt public figures pending a criminal investigation. If found not guilty, reinstate payment. If found guilty, imprison them.
    Frezze bonuses to all public figure inc semi stat organisations.
    All expenses to be capped.
    Reduce top civil servants and politicians salary's
    Make one person accountable for certain sectors of the public service. If they run over budget or mismanagement occurs, sack them and replace with someone who can do the job.
    When wage caps are in place, ensure they are not circumvented by contracting (as opposed to employing) a consultant.

Once the government gets its house in order, it can start looking at my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

goz83 wrote: »
    I reckon the 5/1 odds are just about right. It'll take a few day to confirm all the numbers who have PAID by the deadline. In total, I now have €20 on that bet. Come on all the "NO" campaigners. I might be up €100, but the government will see none of it (except for the vat when i spend it). ....but I will likely just claim it back anyway hehehehe

i got 5/1 on nice and libon 1's off celtic bookmakers.

no wonder ivan yates went bust !

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

You'd be better off giving the 100 euro to the con artists,at least then there is a better chance of the money staying in the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

squod wrote: »
    Ballymun will get better services than I will and 50% of the population there won't have to pay. Phil Hogan should just fuhk off.

Performance related anything in PS land is off the table. There's no sign of anyone hiring process engineers in any of the government departments.

Right on both counts. The ones who are, inexplicably, exempt from a HOUSEHOLD charge will, allegedly, enjoy the same "amenities" as the rest of us - all of whom have not cost the Government a cent to house.

I still find it most peculiar that:

1. The proposed charge was not stopped at source.

2. I have not received a bill for this proposed charge.

One other thing - is it true that those cnuts in Dail Eireann are exempt from the charge?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

goz83 wrote: »
    I have a €5 bet on paddy power 5/1 for less than 30% to have PAID by the dead line. I think I will throw another €15 at that bet, so I will be €100 up. I predict that a good few will register and pay just beyond the deadline, or within an extended deadline, but the government will have to take the funds in another way....most likely income tax. It will spell the end of them and they will spend another decade, or two trying to recover after the next election.

So who'll make up the government then? Sinn Fein and the ULA? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

dvpower wrote: »
    Far too much. Its a pity about the deficit. If we didn't have to borrow €18bn a year, we might have been in a stronger position to deal with unsecured bondholders.

But we only borrow that to sustain high Public Sector/Civil Service "entitlements" along with a ridiculously over-generous SW system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Haven't got a letter in the door requesting income tax either.
    That right. Like this tax, with income tax, you must contact the Revenue yourself and make the payment without any invoice (or, if you're an employee, have your employer do it on your behalf).

No invoices and no bulk mailings.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    One other thing - is it true that those cnuts in Dail Eireann are exempt from the charge?
    Of course its not true. Don't be so silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Right on both counts. The ones who are, inexplicably, exempt from a HOUSEHOLD charge will, allegedly, enjoy the same "amenities" as the rest of us - all of whom have not cost the Government a cent to house.

I still find it most peculiar that:

1. The proposed charge was not stopped at source.

2. I have not received a bill for this proposed charge.

No, TDs and senators will have to pay it too. The wording on the bill is poor but it basically says that houses owned by the Mininter of the Environment are exempt but this relates to local authority housing stocks, NOT his personal residence

5live wrote: »
    No, TDs and senators will have to pay it too. The wording on the bill is poor but it basically says that houses owned by the Mininter of the Environment are exempt but this relates to local authority housing stocks, NOT his personal residence

Freddie already knows this. Its been explained here a number of times and on other threads that Freddie has been *contributing* to.

He is just stirring the pot.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

According to the radio around 75% of households haven't even registered yet.

Good on you! Don't bow to this bull. If that high a figure refuse to pay, the government will buckle eventually. Keep going! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

5live wrote: »
    The wording on the bill is poor but it basically says that houses owned by the Mininter of the Environment are exempt but this relates to local authority housing stocks, NOT his personal residence
    Actually the wording on the bill is fine, it says that properties vested in the Minister (i.e. under the care of his office) are exempt. The confusion arose when he stated in the Dail that properties owned by the minister were exempt, but this has long since been clarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭chickencurry02

On the household charge website i saw the following paragraph, What does the 12 years relate to?

Furthermore, both the €100 charge and any accumulated late payment fee will be a charge against the property concerned and will continue to be such for twelve years after the charge or late payment penalties concerned became due. Any Household Charges or late payment penalties due on a residential property will have to be discharged, in full, before a transfer or sale of the property can be completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

On the household charge website i saw the following paragraph, What does the 12 years relate to?

Furthermore, both the €100 charge and any accumulated late payment fee will be a charge against the property concerned and will continue to be such for twelve years after the charge or late payment penalties concerned became due. Any Household Charges or late payment penalties due on a residential property will have to be discharged, in full, before a transfer or sale of the property can be completed.

Interesting. I dont think they can legally continue to enforce the debt or add penalties and interest after 12 years.

Incidentally, there was a judgement on my parents house from way back in the early 80s and after they died and we were selling the house, the amount of the original judgement was along the lines of 5k, plus interest and penalties etc came to around 12k. The solicitor contacted revenue and because more than 12 years had passed they agreed to settle for the original 5k only and told us to forget the interest and penalties - presumably this was also because the person who had incurred this judgement was now dead - perhaps if my father had sold the house himself before he died he would have had to pay it in full. Dont know, just speculating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Im quite frankly astonished at the level of sh%t Phil Hogan is having to put up with over this tax.. Just listening to matt cooper there basically siding with everyone against paying... As for the txters complaining about Phils arrogance; why should he have to sweet talk people into paying.? This tax has been inacted into law and must be paid. And what a joke it is to hear about people not being able to pay this week cause the wrbsite is busy or 'we dont know how to pay'....!!

Its refreshing to hear Phil tell it like it is, its not arrogance, its treating people like adults who are refusing to accept their obligations..

This moaning about tax makes me sick....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

coup1917 wrote: »

there should be a tax on sick too, something else you would be obliged to pay,

the ammount of posters on here who just want to pay pay pay bankers and speculators debt is unreal,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

the ammount of posters on here who just want to pay pay pay bankers and speculators debt is unreal,

Surely by now you understand this tax has nothing to do with repaying bondholders? That without any of those problems we're still running a massive deficit?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

hondasam wrote: »
    Has anyone here changed their minds and paid or will pay before Saturday?

No. I will definitely not pay now or in the future. The whole thing is now a laugh and I'll tell you what happened this morning.
    I took my dog for a walk through the fields behind my house. I came back a longer route and through a new estate. As i was passing a biggish house with two cars in the drive, an Avensis and a Golf, a man came out and asked me what breed my dog was. I got talking to him and the subject of the Property Tax came up. To my amazement he told me he was exempt as his was an unfinished estate. His estate is in great condition and his home has at least four bedrooms. There are a few empty houses in the estate but apart from the road being a bit bumpy there is nothing wrong with that estate.
    Why the Hell should I pay ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 buzz123

Where To wrote: »
    No one will go to court.

Everyone will pay.

Eventually.

Did some mighty Soothsayer suddenly enlighten you with this wisdom? how the hell do you know whether or not anyone will or won't pay? you can't even guarantee you next breath ffs !!.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Aydin Panicky Belly

Im quite frankly astonished at the level of sh%t Phil Hogan is having to put up with over this tax.. Just listening to matt cooper there basically siding with everyone against paying... As for the txters complaining about Phils arrogance; why should he have to sweet talk people into paying.? This tax has been inacted into law and must be paid. And what a joke it is to hear about people not being able to pay this week cause the wrbsite is busy or 'we dont know how to pay'....!!

Its refreshing to hear Phil tell it like it is, its not arrogance, its treating people like adults who are refusing to accept their obligations..

just pay the tax dont be silly our government stole from us for years because people just payed the tax. where i live this tax will not benefit me at all the government claim we are a low tax economy but we have so many "charges" that people are being driven into the ground i have no issue with being taxed its the hidden taxes and "charges" that must be protested

also im not obliged to do anything we are there bosses and on most subjects i feel politicians are hard done by but there are times when you need to tell them how you feel.
    if they do this and get voted back in like fianna fail did for years then its on the people of ireland if they can get away with it they will rob us blind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

You obviously like taking it in the ass constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

no. not until the banks start paying back what they owe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

Newaglish wrote: »
    Surely by now you understand this tax has nothing to do with repaying bondholders? That without any of those problems we're still running a massive deficit?

why was 170m took from the councils to pay 'other debts' then,
    now we are asked to stump 160m to give to the councils

rob peter to pay paul

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

I dont look on it as paying bankers or speculators. I look at it as being tax compliant in an effort to get the country back on track. Seriously, where do you think the money is going to come from..? Or will europe continue to look after us until we get into another property cycle...? In an ideal world we would see the dozen or so bankers and the like brought to justice. It still wont bridge the gap. We have absolutely nothing positive to turn the economy around right now. It could take years so we have to start somewhere.

The country has been freeloading for too long on a property myth. So now fianna fail are gone, its fine gael who have been tasked by europe to implement this tax. Or would you prefer to bring in sinn fein, people before profit & a bunch of mindless bickering independents to impose the charge, as they would indeed be forced to implement it also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement