Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

dvpower wrote: »
    How would working in any government department be an interest ?

Your saying it's not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

as the 250m euro tribunal proved
    Could you explain what the tribunal proved about the transparency of state accounts? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

blowtorch wrote: »
    http://www.ipav.ie/documents/Industry/IPAV_holds_meeting_with_Minister_Hogan.pdf

Phil Hogan (Auctioneer) confides in his fellow Auctioneers last July that (as regards the household charge) 'It was likely, he said, that the monies raised would go to the Exchequer rather than to the local authorities'

Enough is enough. Parking Levy, Motor Insurance Levy, Life Assurance Levy, Health Insurance Levy (€285 per adult and € 95 per child), ESB (PSO) Levy etc.etc. Get lost Phil 'bully-boy' Hogan

While exempting those who can afford to pay it. It's straight out of Kilnascully.

5live wrote: »
    No, TDs and senators will have to pay it too. The wording on the bill is poor but it basically says that houses owned by the Mininter of the Environment are exempt but this relates to local authority housing stocks, NOT his personal residence

Confirmation then, that a household charge is only applied to some households. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

Mmmmmm...... Up to now, the Exchequer (where our taxes have been going) have funded Local Authorities. These same taxes are now as well, funding repayments to the foreign gamblers'.

So our Government now threaten us that unless we pay this new tax, Local Authority services will be cut, as it is this new tax that is going to fund them. The 'old' funding, from existing taxes, will then go to pay the 'Foreign Gamblers'.

In July 2011 Phil Hogan confided in his Auctioneer friends the following as regards the household charge.........
    It was likely, he said, that the monies raised would go to the Exchequer rather than
    to the local authorities.

Page 7 of http://www.ipav.ie/Documents/Industry/Magazines/PP-Aut-11.pdf

• Advertisement

Newaglish wrote: »
    Surely by now you understand this tax has nothing to do with repaying bondholders? That without any of those problems we're still running a massive deficit?

Yes, we're quite aware of where the money is being squandered. It is, indirectly going to pay these cnuts, as they are what caused it in the first place.

squod wrote: »
    Your saying it's not?
    I don't know - you'd have to explain first what you mean by an interest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ghandee wrote: »

Cheers for that.

For those on phones, etc:
    IPAV HOLDS WIDE-RANGING MEETING WITH ENVIRONMENT MINISTER

On Monday, July 25th IPAV President Padraig Smith led a delegation to the Custom House for a meeting with the Minister for the Environment, Community & Local Government Phil Hogan TD.

The meeting covered a number of topics of interest to auctioneers including the recently announced property tax and the lack of credit by the financial institutions.

The delegation consisted of CEO Fintan McNamara, National Council members Tom Crosse and Ron Duff along with Padraig Smith. The IPAV President introduced the delegation and expressed his thanks to the Minister for the meeting.

Fintan McNamara outlined a number of IPAV concerns over the Property Services Regulation Bill which will regulate auctioneers and estate agents. The Bill is due back before a Dáil Committee in the Autumn. He said there were worries about the cost of the new license which was expected to bring in a total of €3m to fund the new National Property Services Regulatory Authority. He said IPAV was of the firm view that the new licences should be valid for a 5 to 10 year period as was the practice in other European countries.

Minister Hogan said he noted IPAV’s concerns and was sympathetic to them. He said he would pass IPAV’s views to his colleague, the Minster for Justice & Law Reform Alan Shatter who has charge of the Bill. His personal view was that there would be rationalisation of a number of regulatory bodies in the coming months and he believed the Regulatory would be merged with other or other regulatory bodies thus leading to a more cost effective administration.

As the meeting took place on the eve of the Government’s approval of the new property tax he said this was part of the terms of agreement with the IMF/EU/ECB package. It was likely, he said, that the monies raised would go to the Exchequer rather than to the local authorities. IPAV CEO Fintan McNamara pointed out that all non-owner occupied houses and units of accommodation were already subject to the €200 levy and this would cause an additional burden.
    Furthermore, it looked as though water charges were coming down the line in a short time.

Minister Hogan replied that he was open to capping the amount of money any one property would have to contribute in one year but he had not worked out the detail. He said he would “take a pragmatic approach” to apartments and investment units in a single house.

The lack of credit by the financial institutions was raised by the IPAV delegates as being the main stumbling block to kick-starting the property market. Minister Hogan outlined the recent financing of Bank of Ireland and this hopefully represented the first vote of confidence in generating interest in the private sector.

“If you get the banks sorted, you have the country sorted,” said the Minister.

Both Tom Crosse and Ron Duff underlined the major effects the lack of credit was having on the property industry as well as the pointlessness of foreclosing on people who could not afford their repayments.

The Minister said he found the meeting worthwhile and had taken a note of the points raised which he would bear in mind in the course of the weeks and months ahead.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Confirmation then, that a household charge is only applied to some households. FFS.
    Are you suffering memory loss or are you just learning now that this doesn't apply to all households?

coup1917 wrote: »
    Its refreshing to hear Phil tell it like it is, its not arrogance, its treating people like adults who are refusing to accept their obligations..

This moaning about tax makes me sick....

And listening to BS makes me equally sick. WTF is this "obligation" you speak of?

Paying back defunct business entities because they lost a bet?

Propping up a bloated, overpaid, and underworked Civil Service and Public Sector?

Propping up a ludicrous SW system and its abuses?

FFS get real man. "Telling it like it is" my hole.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

No, that's completely unrelated and was in the legislation that set up the household charge anyway.

Are you suffering memory loss or are you just learning now that this doesn't apply to all households?

Ah the standard bearer for phil. No, it's just shocking that these people are exempt. Even someone like YOU must agree with this. What are the phrases being bandied about? Fair and equitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Under questioning on RTE’s Pat Kenny radio programme today, Minister Phil Hogan covered a whole raft of issues on Household Charges, related communications / process problems and, most interestingly, Local Government Reform.

I’m summarising, but he said that, in years to come, property tax would become more progressive and fairer, based on ability to pay. He said issues being looked at by an “expert group” (report to be published within next few months) included Local Authority Tenants and Privately Rented property.

He also stated that a Package of Local Government Reform was included in the remit of this “expert group”. Reform would include the number of councils, new admin processes, more efficiencies and a new “Croke Park Agreement”.

In response to Pat Kenny’s question about the unfairness of people in remote rural areas being asked to pay for Council services they couldn’t avail of, he said they needed to take account of an element of community solidarity and the common good. People in these areas used roads maintained by the Councils to access other National Roads and services, etc.

Responding to the point that Deputy Luke “Ming” Flanagan had introduced a fear factor as regards tax collection, he said that Law Makers should not be advocating that people break the law.
    For recorded interview go to: http://www.rte.ie/radio1/todaywithpatkenny/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Listening to Phil Hogan on Matt Cooper show earlier would not convince me to pay that's for sure, some callers said he came across as arrogant which he did.
    He is still convinced majority of people will have paid by the 31st.

No, that's completely unrelated and was in the legislation that set up the household charge anyway.

You're assuming much.

Some people would much prefer to construct a conspiracy theory than read what's written in black and white in the legislation and in exchequer accounts.

Reform has to start by example. A typical example of the waste in this country is the Fire service. I stand corrected if wrong, but I believe that London (with around 10m population) has ONE Fire chief, ONE assistant Fire Chief, and so on.

Munster (pop. around 1.5m) has a Fire Chief in almost EVERY County. Replicate that wastage across the civil Service and you get the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

golfwallah wrote: »
    Under questioning on RTE’s Pat Kenny radio programme today, Minister Phil Hogan covered a whole raft of issues on Household Charges, related communications / process problems and, most interestingly, Local Government Reform.

I’m summarising, but he said that, in years to come, property tax would become more progressive and fairer, based on ability to pay. He said issues being looked at by an “expert group” (report to be published within next few months) included Local Authority Tenants and Privately Rented property.

He also stated that a Package of Local Government Reform was included in the remit of this “expert group”. Reform would include the number of councils, new admin processes, more efficiencies and a new “Croke Park Agreement”.

In response to Pat Kenny’s question about the unfairness of people in remote rural areas being asked to pay for Council services they couldn’t avail of, he said they needed to take account of an element of community solidarity and the common good. People in these areas used roads maintained by the Councils to access other National Roads and services, etc.

Responding to the point that Deputy Luke “Ming” Flanagan had introduced a fear factor as regards tax collection, he said that Law Makers should not be advocating that people break the law, but that they should in fact, attempt to change the law, thus making the unlawful, lawful(to suit themselves.)

FYP. :rolleyes:

I don't believe a word of it. We've been talking about reform since as far back as I can remember.

Some people would much prefer to construct a conspiracy theory than read what's written in black and white in the legislation and in exchequer accounts.
    Sure there isn't really a conspiracy.:rolleyes: They're just giving the money for local services to European gamblers and asking us to foot the bill. Again.

As I said, a child in Senior Infants could see this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Responding to the point that Deputy Luke “Ming” Flanagan had introduced a fear factor as regards tax collection, he said that Law Makers should not be advocating that people break the law.

One gaping flaw in all that which Hogan stated...

If we are/were to believe everything they previously stated they were going to do either by election words and/or promise, the country would already be far better off!

More words about supposed future things (yet another sales pitch) that frankly I DO NOT trust.
    This government has failed so far in what they stated they were going to do already (never mind the absolute amazing amount of u-turns!), that any more schite I hear from them, is also a complete waste of time and CANNOT be trusted!

. No, it's just shocking that these people are exempt.
    Shocking???
    It was as clear as day from the outset that non homeowners were excluded.:confused:

Shocking???
    It was as clear as day from the outset that non homeowners were excluded.:confused:

Yes. But still shocking. Would you not agree? We're told it's a household charge, not a property tax. Ergo every household should pay.

BTW, I still have not received any kind of bill or communication to me personally about this proposed charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Of course its not true. Don't be so silly.

Nothing silly there. It was suggested, but it was changed when the government knew that there would be even more upset by the public if this were to happen.

Sure there isn't really a conspiracy.:rolleyes: They're just giving the money for local services to European gamblers and asking us to foot the bill. Again.

As I said, a child in Senior Infants could see this.
    I agree - that is a childish analysis.

goz83 wrote: »
    Nothing silly there. It was suggested, but it was changed when the government knew that there would be even more upset by the public if this were to happen.
    Show me the evidence for this please?

BTW, I still have not received any kind of bill or communication to me personally about this proposed charge.
    Did you bang your head recently? There was never any suggestion that a bill was going to be sent out.
    For someone who has been posting on the topic for the last few weeks, you know remarkably little about it.

Yes. But still shocking. Would you not agree? We're told it's a household charge, not a property tax. Ergo every household should pay.

Mr Hogan pointed out today there is no database of home owners in this country,this is the reason they need us to register in order to collect said data.
    The household charge can only go to the home owner not a tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Did you bang your head recently? There was never any suggestion that a bill was going to be sent out.
    For someone who has been posting on the topic for the last few weeks, you know remarkably little about it.

Would it not have been cheaper (than fancy multi colored leaflets) and made much more sense to send out invoices though?

Wouldn't have the resentment against the charge by as many people.

Seriously though, why post leaflets en masse to the population, instead of invoices?

I can't get my head around this one.

Edit, Sam just answered my question above ^

[they don't know who owns what]

• Advertisement

Would it not have been cheaper (than fancy multi colored leaflets) and made much more sense to send out invoices though?

Wouldn't have the resentment against the charge by as many people.

Seriously though, why post leaflets en masse to the population, instead of invoices?

I can't get my head around this one.

Who would they invoice? they do not have a database of home owners. It's possible they could miss loads of houses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement