Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Seen this online here:

http://irishthoughtsandall.wordpress.com/2012/01/15/household-charge-how-to-legally-avoid-paying-it/
    How you don’t have to legally pay Household Tax!!- You wont get a bill because the charge is a Statute. People need to understand this: A Statute is a “legislated rule of society given the force of law by the consent of the governed.”(Blacks Law Dictionary 4th edition). Who are those it governs? Us, the public.

This household charge is a Statute, otherwise known as an Act of Government and only carries the force of law upon you if you consent to it which means that your legally obliged to pay if you consent or in other words go on to householdcharge.ie and register. Your silence and inaction will also give the appearance of consent. If you do not consent, a Statute cannot affect you in any way whatsoever.

The courts know this and the last thing they will do is tell you. In fact they will hide this from you at every opportunity they can. On the other hand, if you tell them, they will accept it because they know it is actually true. According to the above definitions a statutory instrument is a contract. If you register for this “charge” you are consenting to this statuate ie: signing the contract. This is why the Government are ASKING the people to register and not just billing them instead.

Is this bollix? Be nice if true though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Hijpo wrote: »
    Im waiting for the day that someone finds a loophole that makes T.Ds exempt from paying this tax and the water charges that miraculously the average family cant avail of.

I wont be paying it, i pay enough in USC/PRSI/PAYE and seem to get NOTHING back from any of it to ease the pressure when times get tough. We have to use a filter jug with the state of the water supplied where we live, why should i pay for sh** quality water that i cant survive on? I got off my arse and worked hard to afford my house, im still working hard to pay for my house, i didnt go to the government for a few bob to pay for my house, i didnt go on the dole and move into a council house, have 5 kids, claim for a medical card etc im not telling the social im living somewhere else when im really living with my partner so she can claim extra benfits.
    Were honest, me and my partner work hard for what we have, we are not living above our means, anything we have we can afford (at the moment)

My life is financialy stable, i made it that way, yet i feel like the government arnt happy until im in arrears

These water charges and house hold tax's feel like extortion, and im not happy about being made to pay out money under pressure. You dont see the church banging on peoples doors making them put two quid in there little brown envelopes.

What a load of dribbley nonsense!

Another spew of faux outrage to add to the thread which is full of posturing, sloganeering and **** stirring.

How about you offer up a few practical alternatives? At least some posters (very few though) have attempted to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Another spew of faux outrage to add to the thread which is full of posturing, sloganeering and **** stirring.

How about you offer up a few practical alternatives? At least some posters (very few though) have attempted to do this.

How about Enda swallowing his pride and putting his people first by going back to the I.M.F. and telling them that austerity is killing his country. He could ask them to spread out the debt into a more realistic time-frame because our unemployed numbers are rising and the people who are paying tax are already stretched to the limit. It is NOT working at present. This would give us time to pay THEIR debt and allow Enda more time to practice those little dance/pirouette moves with Angela.

How about Enda swallowing his pride and putting his people first by going back to the I.M.F. and telling them that austerity is killing his country. He could ask them to spread out the debt into a more realistic time-frame because our unemployed numbers are rising and the people who are paying tax are already stretched to the limit. It is NOT working at present. This would give us time to pay THEIR debt and allow Enda more time to practice those little dance/pirouette moves with Angela.

That's your alternative?
    Seriously?

WTF do you proppse we use as our bargaining chip in our 'negotiations' - should we get Enda to cry so they feel really, really sorry for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

:rolleyes:

Do TD's NEED all that pension money? that six figure salary? All those tax breaks?

Every TD should take a BIG hit until we get out of this debt, i mean atleast 40%. if there IS infact a light at the end of this tunnel then they wont have a problem as when were debt free they can just up there money again. Whats stopping them from doing this?
    After all, they shouldnt miss the money if they havent been living above there means themselfs and saved a few bob right?
    Something that should be made compulsory is a 50% cut in T.Ds pension across the board, what could you possibly need all that money for at that age?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

DrumSteve wrote: »

Literally just came across that on FB, I'm not sure, it seems loads are coming out with "legalities" of late.

But seriously, I'm opposed charges but wtf does this mean exactly?
    This household charge is a Statute, otherwise known as an Act of Government and only carries the force of law upon you if you consent to it which means that your legally obliged to pay if you consent or in other words go on to householdcharge.ie and register. Your silence and inaction will also give the appearance of consent. If you do not consent, a Statute cannot affect you in any way whatsoever.

I just wonder what happened to that fighting Irish spirit we used to have. The pure willingness by so many Irish people who let themselves be walked all over.

Sure its only 8 33 per month. UPC do the same thing THats the price for now but what will it be in 3 years time ?
    Also remember if they can create a new "Law" like this, whats to stop them creating new laws .

Family Charge, Employment charge, Charging per room in your house. A Garden charge an Internet charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

I just wonder what happened to that fighting Irish spirit we used to have. The pure willingness by so many Irish people who let themselves be walked all over.

Sure its only 8 33 per month. UPC do the same thing THats the price for now but what will it be in 3 years time ?
    Also remember if they can create a new "Law" like this, whats to stop them creating new laws .

Family Charge, Employment charge, Charging per room in your house. A Garden charge an Internet charge.

Agreed. I hate the people who say "it's less than 2 euro a week", it really annoys me because it's the 2 euro a week on top of everything else that's the problem, not to mention the fact that 2 euro a week will soon become 5 euro a week and then god knows what else. If it's such an insignificant amount then what's the problem with people not paying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Ian64

Pure bollix, what this muppet is saying is the law only applies to you if you want it to, so according to him its NOT rape if you force a woman to have sex with you so long as you previously stated that you didnt accept the laws on rape, same with murder!
    Where do they dig these idiots up!

Ian64 wrote: »
    Pure bollix, what this muppet is saying is the law only applies to you if you want it to, so according to him its NOT rape if you force a woman to have sex with you so long as you previously stated that you didnt accept the laws on rape, same with murder!

No its if the Government were to tax rape, and you raped a woman but didnt sign the tax agreement they cant arrest you for not paying your Rape Tax. They can still get you on the rape though.

• Advertisement

Is this bollix? Be nice if true though.[/QUOTE]

What is it in the psyche of so many Irish people that convinces them that they are "entitled" to everything, but that they have the "right" to refuse to pay for anything?
    Try living abroad and see how it really works, In the UK your council tax would be £1,200 or more.
    This country is suffering from an acute dose of entitleditis!

What is it in the psyche of so many Irish people that convinces them that they are "entitled" to everything, but that they have the "right" to refuse to pay for anything?
    Try living abroad and see how it really works, In the UK your council tax would be £1,200 or more.

I lived abroad, they had a better transport system. You dont have to pay for your bins. Medical is free. The doctor comes to you. You do not have to pay a TV licence. If you have a baby an official nanny is sent to you to help you with the transition of parenthood.

Thats the problem, if one person in the house is working full time no matter how small they're take home pay, no one in the household is entitled to ANYTHING and if they are its a small amount of what they have survived on before loosing there job. I dont refuse to pay PRSI or PAYE or USC etc but i AM refusing to pay this on the principle of things if nothing else.

If people pay this household charge then its paving the way for charges like that council tax in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

What is it with advocates of these taxes that makes them draw comparisons wherever they want. How can you compare property tax in UK and ireland without factoring in all other taxes in both countries?

I lived abroad, they had a better transport system. You dont have to pay for your bins. Medical is free. The doctor comes to you. You do not have to pay a TV licence. If you have a baby an official nanny is sent to you to help you with the transition of parenthood.
    And the overall level of taxation was higher in that country than it is here!

And the overall level of taxation was higher in that country than it is here!

Yeah there is a higher tax rate but that tax was spent alot more wisely. Also the overall the cost of living was easily better then Ireland.

Eh, nothing - that's their feckin job you know?

Imagine, the Oireachtas introducing new laws! - what next, the judiciary interpreting and applying the law?

Sur what's to stop them! Where will it all end!

Yeah there is a higher tax rate but that tax was spent alot more wisely. Also the overall the cost of living was easily better then Ireland.
    I accept that many countries spend their taxes better than we do, no arguement.

I accept that many countries spend their taxes better than we do, no arguement.

Would it not make sense for the people not to pay more tax until the tax we do pay is spent better?

• Advertisement

Eh, nothing - that's their feckin job you know?

Imagine, the Oireachtas introducing new laws! - what next, the judiciary interpreting and applying the law?

Sur what's to stop them! Where will it all end!

If a guy hits you and you dont hit back. Guess what ? He keeps hitting you.

If a guy hits you and you dont hit back. Guess what ? He keeps hitting you.

If a guy makes some random point in an internet thread that has nothing to do with anything under discussion - guess what?

The small cheese jumps over the fireplace of despondency.

That's your alternative?
    Seriously?

WTF do you proppse we use as our bargaining chip in our 'negotiations' - should we get Enda to cry so they feel really, really sorry for us?

You can shout as many WTF's as you like but that IS our bargaining chip. The fact that we WILL pay it back but over a longer period. The alternative is that the way we are now we are certain to default and they won't get it back.

Your way seemingly is to suffocate the little remaining life there is in the country which will lead to that default situation.

You can shout as many WTF's as you like but that IS our bargaining chip. The fact that we WILL pay it back but over a longer period. The alternative is that the way we are now we are certain to default and they won't get it back.

Your way seemingly is to suffocate the little remaining life there is in the country which will lead to that default situation.

Threatening suicide is not a bargining chip, we default we commit economic suicide, you are like a a man suggesting taking a few aspirin for cancer because you think chemo is too severe!

If a guy makes some random point in an internet thread that has nothing to do with anything under discussion - guess what?

The small cheese jumps over the fireplace of despondency.

Are you of the belief that taxing everyone is the only solution to this mess?
    What would you do, if tax wasnt an option?

Cut spending obviously.

The point is, just one or the other won't work - the gap is too large and it will need to be a combination of both.

And the award for the stupitest question on this thread goes to Hijpo!

And the award for the stupitest question on this thread goes to Hijpo!
    Yeah, your bringing alot to the thread. If your not going to reply with some sort of decent answer except a put down in the hope that others will find you funny then kindly f*** off, cheers.

Thanks for the mature reply black francis. Upping and adding taxes only puts more strain on the people who they expect to spend more. Spread the rest of the debt over the people who can actually afford it. Cut the childrens allowance to only people with small incomes we all know there are very wealthy people claiming it that dont need it, up the tax on non essential items. Dont hit houses and water. no point putting the people, who are doing there best not to get into difficulty, into difficulty.

Threatening suicide is not a bargining chip, we default we commit economic suicide, you are like a a man suggesting taking a few aspirin for cancer because you think chemo is too severe!

No it is not. It is explaining things as they are. We will default the way it is being done now. No doubt about it at all. Your analogy is actually what is happening now.

• Advertisement

Yeah, your bringing alot to the thread. If your not going to reply with some sort of decent answer except a put down in the hope that others will find you funny then kindly f*** off, cheers.

Thanks for the mature reply black francis. Upping and adding taxes only puts more strain on the people who they expect to spend more. Spread the rest of the debt over the people who can actually afford it. Cut the childrens allowance to only people with small incomes we all know there are very wealthy people claiming it that dont need it, up the tax on non essential items. Dont hit houses and water. no point putting the people, who are doing there best not to get into difficulty, into difficulty.
    "Yeah, your bringing alot to the thread. If your not going to reply with some sort of decent answer except a put down in the hope that others will find you funny then kindly f*** off, cheers."
    Typical, when you cant make a cogent, coherent argument , just start swearing and ranting...typical leftie layabout!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement