Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

"It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home" - Enda Kenny, 1994

Yeah but no politican keeps their word. They never have and never will in any country. They do what they need to do to get the country back on its feet. Forget bondholders etc. They are people just like you and me and I they have to get a return the same way you or me would expect to get a return on investment. Thats what people seem to focus on and that the 100 charge wont be here to stay. Yeah your prob right it prob wont be here to stay and it might go up to thousands but only if your living in a 20,000 sq ft house in foxrock or dalkey. People are blowing it out of the water before even seening if its fair or not. As mentioned here plenty of times almost every country has property taxes so what makes us so special?

Yes we are taxed on just about everything but what country is totally tax free or has very few taxes? No metter what party is in government they will all do the same thing. What ever is needed to get the country back on its feet. I guarantee even Sein Fein would introduce more taxes if not this tax. Every party will break their promises when they have too. Im sure they don't think of ways tio piss of the public so they loose in opinion poles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Isn't it depressing that this is the case, that politicians do not keep their word. Their word should be their bond. If not they are nothing more than liars.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Isn't it depressing that this is the case, that politicians do not keep their word. Their word should be their bond. If not they are nothing more than liars.

I don't agree with more taxes especially since it looks like il be hit with a septic tank charge now as well as water charges but if they have to be paid or face fines well then they will be paid within reason. I do agree that they are all liars for not keeping their word but has there even been a politican that has? Remember the last government saying we were not getting a bail out and within a week they were here and the FF fcukers still denied we were getting a bialout. Their liars too. Every politican is a liar even the ones campaigning for a no vote on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    Cant wait to see when they put up income tax even more than an extra 1 or 2% because this tax was shot down. How else they going to make up the shortfall? You people who arent going to pay it refuse to pay the raised income tax too? Grow the fcuk up. Like crying babies well you know what your day will come when you will be wishing you had of paid it because you not paying will fcuk the rest of us up who are LAW ABIDING.
    Good chap.
    They could make up (some of) the shortfall by refusing to pay billions to unsecured bondholders in our bankrupt banks, you know the 'law abiding' banks and bankers that have us where we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Good chap.
    They could make up the shortfall by refusing to pay billions to unsecured bondholders in our bankrupt banks, you know the 'law abiding' banks and bankers that have us where we are.

Poor aul Gerryo's lost the calculator again.

Can somebody get that man another calculator?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yeah but no politican keeps their word. They never have and never will in any country. They do what they need to do to get the country back on its feet. Forget bondholders etc. They are people just like you and me and I they have to get a return the same way you or me would expect to get a return on investment. Thats what people seem to focus on and that the 100 charge wont be here to stay. Yeah your prob right it prob wont be here to stay and it might go up to thousands but only if your living in a 20,000 sq ft house in foxrock or dalkey. People are blowing it out of the water before even seening if its fair or not. As mentioned here plenty of times almost every country has property taxes so what makes us so special?

Yes we are taxed on just about everything but what country is totally tax free or has very few taxes? No metter what party is in government they will all do the same thing. What ever is needed to get the country back on its feet. I guarantee even Sein Fein would introduce more taxes if not this tax. Every party will break their promises when they have too. Im sure they don't think of ways tio piss of the public so they loose in opinion poles.

You are obviously sincere BUT where do you think people will get the money? They are taxed-out at this stage and most cannot afford anymore. Water tax, septic tank tax, Road tax., Tolls, broadcasting tax, bin tax, U.S.C., P.R.S.I., Income tax, V.A.T. etc etc. When is enough enough ? All this on top of their mortgage and health insurance. Many struggling to hold onto the house they own after losing their job or having wage cuts. No, I am not paying this one. It is my house not theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Apparently people have loads of money...

*looks around*

also 15% unemployment doesn't mean 85% of the population have jobs, just means that 85% of the people who should have jobs have them. Lots of children, pensioners and evil scrounging students like meself around. Then there are the crowd dowing 50e per week state-paid internships who are marked down as having jobs and of the people left who have jobs there are lots struggling to get by

You are obviously sincere BUT where do you think people will get the money? They are taxed-out at this stage and most cannot afford anymore. Water tax, septic tank tax, Road tax., Tolls, broadcasting tax, bin tax, U.S.C., P.R.S.I., Income tax, V.A.T. etc etc. When is enough enough ? All this on top of their mortgage and health insurance. Many struggling to hold onto the house they own after losing their job or having wage cuts. No, I am not paying this one. It is my house not theirs.

Il be honest with you. If there was only social welfare income in my house we wouldn't be paying it or at least hold out till last minute to see how it pans out. I am pissed about this septic tank charge alright and these inspections. Im not paying an inspector to come and tell me my septic tank is not suitable and has to be changed. They want it changed they can give a grant for it or better pay for it but no hope of that. I know there are people out who genuinly can't afford it and I feel for them but then there are those who can and refuse to pay it for the reasons outlined before this post. Would just be sad to see that the people who are trying to do the right thing and stay out of trouble with fines etc being hammered to pay for those who don't pay it.

Il be honest with you. If there was only social welfare income in my house we wouldn't be paying it or at least hold out till last minute to see how it pans out. I am pissed about this septic tank charge alright and these inspections. Im not paying an inspector to come and tell me my septic tank is not suitable and has to be changed. They want it changed they can give a grant for it or better pay for it but no hope of that. I know there are people out who genuinly can't afford it and I feel for them but then there are those who can and refuse to pay it for the reasons outlined before this post. Would just be sad to see that the people who are trying to do the right thing and stay out of trouble with fines etc being hammered to pay for those who don't pay it.

Any fine i get will be treated in the same way as the tax, it won't be paid.
    We can defeat this unjust tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Won't be paying it. There are loads of reasons that have been debated already. But to put it bluntly I think people are forgetting what taxes are all about. They are for the betterment of the country and its inhabitants. My 100 quid would not be doing that so I would just be wasting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

with all these rates and taxes what is the average collective percentage of tax paid

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Kirby wrote: »
    Won't be paying it. There are loads of reasons that have been debated already. But to put it bluntly I think people are forgetting what taxes are all about. They are for the betterment of the country and its inhabitants. My 100 quid would not be doing that so I would just be wasting it.

Some people used that reasoning to justify not paying various taxes and stashing their money in overseas accounts. They are turning up on the Revenue Commissioners quarterly defaulters lists now and as often as not the penalties and interest are more than the original amount due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Yeah but no politican keeps their word. They never have and never will in any country. They do what they need to do to get the country back on its feet.

Just listen to yourself trying to justify lies and corruption.

So how will Enda lying get the country back on its feet ?

Just listen to yourself trying to justify lies and corruption.

So how will Enda lying get the country back on its feet ?

Im not justifying anything of the sort merely pointing out that ALL politicans LIE and ALL politicans regardless of party will LIE to the people in pre election time to get into government. Then when their in they will go and do what they said they wouldn't. I didn't say enda lying will get the country back on its feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 doomsday

Yes I am, well maybe, ok no I'm not, well not right now, I dont know, I think I am or not ish kinda:D:):D:):D

"It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a person's home" - Enda Kenny, 1994 AND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LTCT7QIeP8

Another 1.2 billion into Anglo this week.

F.G. the party of lies.

Verruca caught telling blatant lies :

And all the shills on here can do, like pathetic gaddafi and mugabe sycophants is try to pretend telling lies to the people of Ireland is ok

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I just laughed at Leo tonight - talk about scaremongering!

"If we don't pay - your ESB bills will go up!" - paraphrasing.

I was listening and I was thinking "Did he actually say that?" (or words to that effect)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And all the shills on here can do, like pathetic gaddafi and mugabe sycophants is try to pretend telling lies to the people of Ireland is ok

You a Chavez sycophant?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    You a Chavez sycophant?

I care not for left or right wing, I just want truth and non corruption instead of lies.

Why do you try and pretend and lie that everyone that sees the corruption for what it is, is some sort of left wing extremist ? Is it because FG are so right wing anyone that disagrees with them must be ? Are the blueshirts really becoming such desperate housewives now ? The walls must be really closing in. Save it for Nuremberg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I care not for left or right wing, I just want truth and non corruption instead of lies.

Same here as stated in this thread many times.

Why do you try and pretend and lie that everyone that sees the corruption for what it is, is some sort of left wing extremist ? Is it because FG are so right wing anyone that disagrees with them must be ? Are the blueshirts really becoming such desperate housewives now ? The walls must be really closing in. Save it for Nuremberg.

That's gibberish.

Why resort to Muggabe hysterical nonsense? Why the need for such stupid showmanship, to put it politely?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Just so we know that cuts only occur at the bottom and that the "elite" are still being looked after by F.G. (a la F.F.)
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ministerial-advisers-are-in-line-for-pay-bonanza-2996262.html

Things never change regardless of who is in power. More promises broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

axle108 wrote: »
    Get a grip on this.

The 2009 Commission on Taxation suggested that houses valued between €150,000 and €300,000 should be levied with a property tax of €563. John Fitzgerald of the Economic and Social Research Institute (the government’s semi-official economic think-tank) has said that the new taxes should be as high as €1300 per annum on the average household.

So that's what was suggested, and you're complaining about €100 a year? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Shenshen wrote: »
    So that's what was suggested, and you're complaining about €100 a year? :rolleyes:

The point of objecting against it now is so that it never gets to those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Yeah but no politican keeps their word. They never have and never will in any country.

As long as we accept this, then we truly do deserve the governments that we get. It's long past time that politicians are called to account for their lies and deception.
    They do what they need to do to get the country back on its feet.

If this was true we wouldn't be in such a mess in the first place.

The frontline will be intresting tonight.
    Kenny will ensure the audience will be packed tight with government shills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The frontline will be intresting tonight.

Yes a few posters might be missing later, without being banned:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Listen up everyone - today's word is 'shill'.

Perhaps Quadratic could provide us with a few examples

The more the shills here try to insult people who are taking a principled stand against paying this imoral tax for billionaire bondholders, the more I know not paying is the right thing to do.

Good man.

Listen up everyone - today's word is 'shill'.

Perhaps Quadratic could provide us with a few examples

Good man.

No bother.

Here's more detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

Now you've given yourself away, perhaps you'll tell us how much you're being paid or what favours have been promised for you ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 doomsday

No bother.

Here's more detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

Now you've given yourself away, perhaps you'll tell us how much you're being paid or what favours have been promised for you ?
    Whatever happened to not being personally abusive to other posters?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement