Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

No bother.

Here's more detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

Now you've given yourself away, perhaps you'll tell us how much you're being paid or what favours have been promised for you
    ?
    Shill Shill Shill, Shill Shill Shill - Shill? Shill Shill.

FYP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Moorehall Lodge, Co Louth.
    An estate that has in it, top of the range housing. We are talking luxury housing (30 approx) that for most people, they can only dream of.
    What's so special about it in relation to this thread?

Well the luxury estate has on it 2/3 houses that are not finished - and Irish planning law being Irish planning law, it means that as the estate is not officially finished (nor likely to be - the builder has stopped finishing the last remaining homes), its is officially "an incomplete estate" in the eyes of local government departments and thus every resident is exempt from (and informed as such) having to pay the new house tax - yes, all of them - as they all have to 'suffer' living in an area that has been left unfinished.

I don't begrudge the already residents luck AT ALL but the thought occurred to me, if there is that many unfinished housing estates in the whole country, just many houses in total are escaping out of this new tax that the government is perhaps unaware of!
    I'd say quite a lot!

They lost €3,000 of possible revenue on that estate alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Frontline on R.T.E. 1 just started -- all about the Property Tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

The Frontline on R.T.E. 1 just started -- all about the Property Tax.

Just watched it, have to say pat kenny is one biased rte presenter, he kept Interrupting claire daily,on the septic tank issue pat asked claire should people pay, as soon as claire answered no, he tried straight away to cut her off, while at the same he never Interrupted fergus o dewd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

doomsday wrote: »
    Whatever happened to not being personally abusive to other posters?

Whatever happened to not destroying the country with corruption and lies ?

Now you've given yourself away as well, perhaps you'll tell us how much you're being paid or what favours have been promised for you ?

"It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home" - Enda Kenny, 1994

• Advertisement

Am Chile wrote: »
    Just watched it, have to say pat kenny is one biased rte presenter, he kept Interrupting claire daily,on the septic tank issue pat asked claire should people pay, as soon as claire answered no, he tried straight away to cut her off, while at the same he never Interrupted fergus o dewd.

Poor Fergus, he and another (Ged Nash, Labour) got booed off stage last Sunday in West street Drogheda!
    (He refused to support a hospital in his very own area).

Watch him slink away off stage 30 seconds in.
    Ged Nash was told unceremoniously where to go too!

Am Chile wrote: »

I'd say F.G. gave R.T.E. orders to allow their "plants" plenty of time to talk too. I hear Louth T.D. Peter Fitzpatrick got a slap on the face yesterday from a female Hospital cuts protester in Fergus O'Dowd's home town, Drogheda. I don't like to see that but people are starting to get angry with F.G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Peter Fitzpatrick got a slap on the face yesterday from a female Hospital cuts protester in Fergus O'Dowd's home town, Drogheda. I don't like to see that but people are starting to get angry with F.G.

The golden circle have no concept of the anger building up among ordinary people for the constant lies, double standards and corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Biggins wrote: »
    Moorehall Lodge, Co Louth.
    An estate that has in it, top of the range housing. We are talking luxury housing (30 approx) that for most people, they can only dream of.
    What's so special about it in relation to this thread?

Well the luxury estate has on it 2/3 houses that are not finished - and Irish planning law being Irish planning law, it means that as the estate is not officially finished (nor likely to be - the builder has stopped finishing the last remaining homes), its is officially "an incomplete estate" in the eyes of local government departments and thus every resident is exempt from (and informed as such) having to pay the new house tax - yes, all of them - as they all have to 'suffer' living in an area that has been left unfinished.

I don't begrudge the already residents luck AT ALL but the thought occurred to me, if there is that many unfinished housing estates in the whole country, just many houses in total are escaping out of this new tax that the government is perhaps unaware of!
    I'd say quite a lot!

They lost €3,000 of possible revenue on that estate alone!

I made that same point a couple of pages back, people are wise to there games now and anticipating the excuses they will come up with. How people can still defend people taking them for a ride ill never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

The frontline will be intresting tonight.
    Kenny will ensure the audience will be packed tight with government shills.

That woman in the audience with the glasses, while I won,t call her a goverment shill, she was very dumbed down on the issue, she said Im not happy about paying the household tax, but Il pay it anyway, and those who oppose it and refuse to pay are Irresponsible, another person with the Im not happy about it, but what can you do attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Look we're talking about a nation that said they would oppose the smoking ban and said no to two EU treaties. The smoking ban ended up receiving very little opposition and the treaties were brought back for a 'yes' which we duly gave. At the end of the day for all our talk we're a country of doormats and the government know it.

I'll believe someone refusing to pay the charge when I see it and not before.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Look we're talking about a nation that said they would oppose the smoking ban and said no to two EU treaties. The smoking ban ended up receiving very little opposition and the treaties were brought back for a 'yes' which we duly gave. At the end of the day for all our talk we're a country of doormats and the government know it.

I'll believe someone refusing to pay the charge when I see it and not before.

Allow me to introduce you to my parents and a few friends of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Biggins wrote: »
    Allow me to introduce you to my parents and a few friends of theirs.
    Come back to me on deadline day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

I have not read through the whole thread. Too many pages of people whining. I just wanted to point out one thing. There are many people saying they are in poverty in this thread. Dont have any money left, living off teabags etc. If you cant afford food then get rid of your broadband. If not you are not in poverty. Baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Hijpo wrote: »
    The point of objecting against it now is so that it never gets to those prices.

Even those prices are way below European average.
    How people in this country expect to get all the services available elsewhere, but aren't willing to pay even a fraction of the cost, is just beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Shenshen wrote: »
    How people in this country expect to get all the services available elsewhere, but aren't willing to pay even a fraction of the cost, is just beyond me.

Maybe it's because some of us paid ridiculous levels of tax in the 80s (coincidentally, after a Bank Bailout, too!).

Strangely, we never did get the same level of services that other European Countries had, even though we most certainly paid for them.
    Come to think of it, wasn't Haughey ordering shirts from France, costing several hundred pounds each, when the average family was struggling to survive on sixty to eighty punts pw?

But there couldn't possibly be any similarity to the current situation..........
    Could there?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Seanie06

Hell no!!

Full.Duck wrote: »
    I have not read through the whole thread. Too many pages of people whining. I just wanted to point out one thing. There are many people saying they are in poverty in this thread. Dont have any money left, living off teabags etc. If you cant afford food then get rid of your broadband. If not you are not in poverty. Baffling

"It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home" - Enda Kenny, 1994

"I will promise the people just about anything to get elected, if you believe even half the ****e I come out with - you are an idiot.

If you think my banal mutterings from nearly 2 decades ago are relevant to today's economic realities - you are an idiot.

If you think you can continue to live in a country which has a 16billion deficit and not see increases in taxes and cuts to services - yes, you've guessed it." - Enda Kenny, 2012

Ahh, that's better.

Noreen1 wrote: »
    Maybe it's because some of us paid ridiculous levels of tax in the 80s (coincidentally, after a Bank Bailout, too!).

Strangely, we never did get the same level of services that other European Countries had, even though we most certainly paid for them.
    Come to think of it, wasn't Haughey ordering shirts from France, costing several hundred pounds each, when the average family was struggling to survive on sixty to eighty punts pw?

But there couldn't possibly be any similarity to the current situation..........
    Could there?

Did you?
    When I left Germany some 10 years ago, the tax and fees I paid on my income there amounted to 57%. That was before I paid for the mandatory health insurance, my rent (mortgage and property tax, had I owned the place), the bin tax, water or anything else.
    And I was on a yearly income of just under €30k, I certainly wasn't a big earner.

Ireland is a small place. Its populations is just a fraction that of other European countries, which doesn't stop people demanding the same levels of services as elsewhere.
    But when told they'll have to pay for them, they throw hissy fits.

Grow up, please, this is getting really embarrassing.

• Advertisement

Ahh, that's better.

"Not another cent into Anglo, not another cent" Veradkar 2011.

That better ? More up to date for you now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If you think you can continue to live in a country which has a 16billion deficit and not see increases in taxes and cuts to services - yes, you've guessed it." - Enda Kenny, 2012
    Ahh, that's better.

So, with your drastic quote edits there, you are obviously saying that before this new tax, that we are living in a country that has had no increases in taxes, and no cuts to anything else.

"Not another cent into Anglo, not another cent" Veradkar 2011.

That better ? More up to date for you now.

See points 1 and 3 above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Fair enough but not every house in the country is in a housing estate which means they pay for all their own services and have been for years. Any rural houses that get council water have been metered and paying for their water since they built their houses.

Fair enough but not every house in the country is in a housing estate which means they pay for all their own services and have been for years. Any rural houses that get council water have been metered and paying for their water since they built their houses.

Really?

That's interesting, seeing as I live in a rural house which is connected to the council water supply.
    We don't have a meter, and as far as I'm aware, nobody around us does, either.

You cannot cut and tax your way out of recession. You can only grow out of recession.

Michael Noonan, Budget 2011.

You cannot cut and tax your way out of recession. You can only grow out of recession.

Michael Noonan, Budget 2011.

And he then added under his breath "...if you have the funds to do so"

And he then added under his breath "...if you have the funds to do so"

No, I think it was his usual cynical sneer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Here's a thought.

Household Charge: €100
    Fine for non-payment: €2500
    Cost to imprison someone: €2500 per week

So If I had a house, I wouldn't pay. 3 meals per day and free room for the sake of €100.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement