Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Here's a thought.

So If I had a house, I wouldn't pay. 3 meals per day and free room for the sake of €100.

And the ride if you're (un)lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Shenshen wrote: »
    Really?

That's interesting, seeing as I live in a rural house which is connected to the council water supply.
    We don't have a meter, and as far as I'm aware, nobody around us does, either.
    That's interesting my next door neighbor sank a private well because he was paying too much for council water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Did you?
    When I left Germany some 10 years ago, the tax and fees I paid on my income there amounted to 57%. That was before I paid for the mandatory health insurance, my rent (mortgage and property tax, had I owned the place), the bin tax, water or anything else.
    And I was on a yearly income of just under €30k, I certainly wasn't a big earner.

Ireland is a small place. Its populations is just a fraction that of other European countries, which doesn't stop people demanding the same levels of services as elsewhere.
    But when told they'll have to pay for them, they throw hissy fits.

Grow up, please, this is getting really embarrassing.

When I paid tax in the 80s, I paid 65% PAYE, 8.5% PRSI, rent, (there were "rates" on the homeowners, too - I just wasn't one of them at the time), water charges, and VAT. Bin charges were free.

Interesting that you change your stance from "Ireland has insufficient tax income to provide comparable levels of service" to "Ireland is a small place. Its populations is just a fraction that of other European countries, which doesn't stop people demanding the same levels of services as elsewhere."

You insinuate that we "have to pay for comparable levels of service", then switch to "Our population base is insufficient to be capable of achieving comparable levels". Hmm.

Since you're so mature, and I need to "grow up":D - maybe you could show the level of consistency in your posts that mature reflection usually indicates? Or even check what taxation levels actually were in the 80s before you start playing the "I've paid more tax than you!" (childish) game?

By the way, whatever happened to "Attack the post, not the poster"?

Finally, - You have absolutely no authority over me, whatsoever, so why do you think you have the right to command that I should "Grow up" - Touch of arrogance, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

That's interesting my next door neighbor sank a private well because he was paying too much for council water.

There is no charge for residential water in Ireland.

He might be a farmer - they have to pay for water usage as do all commercial businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Full.Duck wrote: »
    Too many pages of people whining.
    There goes your credibility:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

I still live with my parents so its them and not me who will be paying it.But I doubt they will be paying it.

Why wait till people dont have the money to pay to introduce such charges.

This recession was man made and those responsible are living the high life.

cuts and increased taxes and charges will prolong the recession not help get the country out if it.

We have people running countries that dont know how to solve the crisis so why are they in a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

Here's a thought.

Household Charge: €100
    Fine for non-payment: €2500
    Cost to imprison someone: €2500 per week

So If I had a house, I wouldn't pay. 3 meals per day and free room for the sake of €100.

How can a fine like that be justified for non payment of €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Ireland is a small place. Its populations is just a fraction that of other European countries, which doesn't stop people demanding the same levels of services as elsewhere.
    But when told they'll have to pay for them, they throw hissy fits.

Grow up, please, this is getting really embarrassing.

Can you explain why enda is getting a salary higher than obama even though his coutry is massive compared to the corn flake enda has to look after? Not to mention all his tax breaks on top of that.
    It was mentioned earlier that the government was borrowing 10bn or whatever a year to run the country. Sure they are doin that now arnt they?
    Its just now they have to pay it back. If they had to borrow money to run the country then, then surely something wasnt adding up but they still didnt bring in property tax and water rates so whats the diffrence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I have not read through the whole thread. Too many pages of people whining.

The irony hits you like a baseball bat.
    There are many people saying they are in poverty in this thread. Dont have any money left, living off teabags etc. If you cant afford food then get rid of your broadband. If not you are not in poverty. Baffling

Yeah, get rid of your broadband.......... because a bondholder needs a new swimming pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Lisa2011 wrote: »

The fine is a deterrant for non payment, wouldnt be worth bringing someone to court for much less than 2,500. The €2,500 is used to scare people to pay as nobody would want to risk having to pay that amount when they could just pay €100 now

• Advertisement

donalg1 wrote: »
    Lisa2011 wrote: »

The fine is a deterrant for non payment, wouldnt be worth bringing someone to court for much less than 2,500. The €2,500 is used to scare people to pay as nobody would want to risk having to pay that amount when they could just pay €100 now

Just like no one will pay the 2500 of they cant pay the 100. Or do they want people to borrow it from the banks so they can collect more money on the intrest?

Hijpo wrote: »
    Just like no one will pay the 2500 of they cant pay the 100. Or do they want people to borrow it from the banks so they can collect more money on the intrest?

I would find it hard to believe that someone cant afford €100, given that you have 3 months to pay it, which works out at about €7.70 per week from the 1st January to the 31st March.

Can actually be paid in four instalments of €25 as well which makes it easier when you have 13weeks to come up with the first instalment so less than €2 per week for that

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Rumple Fugly

€100 this year
    €200 next year
    €400 the next year. This is basically a poll tax which will keep rising each year, the sky's th limit with it and the government know the Irish people wil pay and won't rock the boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I would find it hard to believe that someone cant afford €100, given that you have 3 months to pay it, which works out at about €7.70 per week from the 1st January to the 31st March.
    How many other €100 payments would it take, as well as this one, before you would believe many people cant afford more taxes?
    Can actually be paid in four instalments of €25 as well which makes it easier when you have 13weeks to come up with the first instalment so less than €2 per week for that

Very handy, if this was the only weekly or quarterly instalment people had to pay. If only it was all so simple for everyone.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    How many other €100 payments would it take, as well as this one, before you would believe many people cant afford more taxes?

Very handy, if this was the only weekly or quarterly instalment people had to pay. If only it was all so simple for everyone.

The debate here is about the household charge not other charges, the household charge is €100 now so the point is can people afford this and the answer is yes.

yeah, the people with the money seem to believe everyone has money. Why do the irish people slam other citizens and suspect them of hiding/having money when the people in the government make it known that they can hide or have plenty of money and no one slates them?

The debate here is about the household charge not other charges, the household charge is €100 now so the point is can people afford this and the answer is yes.

And you really believe everyone can afford it? And you base this belief on the fact this debate is about only the household charge, and all other increases and wage cuts, job losses have no bearing?

Come back to reality will ye.

And you really believe everyone can afford it? And you base this belief on the fact this debate is about only the household charge, and all other increases and wage cuts, job losses have no bearing?

i just got a letter in the door to say the bin charges are going up because the significant rise in fuel and energy costs and the GOVERNMENT levies on waste disposal tax has increased by 66%. So theres my €2 i had a week to pay for me household tax gone into paying me bins :rolleyes:

I live in reality, but yeah attack the poster!!!

Tell me then who cant afford €2 per week please id love to hear it.

Me, see the post above yours

• Advertisement

I live in reality, but yeah attack the poster!!!

Well its not just €2 euro, its another €2, to start with. When its €10 or €15 a week, you will still say the same thing? Of course you will.

But i forgot. We must not mention that people have other expenses, because this thread is about the household charge.

Any person who has outgoings higher than income, cant afford it. If you think they dont exist, then as i said, reality seems a problem there.

So the extra you have to pay for your bin charges amounts to €2 per week which is the last €2 per week you have. So until you got the letter in the box today you were planning on using that last €2 per week to pay the household charge then?

No point mentioning your other expenses to donal there, he only wants to hear about the household charge. The rest is null and void to him.

They have no bearing on your household charge affordability because this thread is about the household charge.

And he has the cheek to call me childish (then complain about attacking the poster), and i lost credibility, then comes up with this rubbish.

Well its not just €2 euro, its another €2, to start with. When its €10 or €15 a week, you will still say the same thing? Of course you will.

But i forgot. We must not mention that people have other expenses, because this thread is about the household charge.

Any person who has outgoings higher than income, cant afford it. If you think they dont exist, then as i said, reality seems a problem there.

Its not €10 or €15 a week though is it? When it is €10 or €15 a week you can start a new thread called will you pay the household charge.

You say any person who has outgoings higher than their income cant afford it but you fail to offer any examples of people who may be in this situation. I will never for one second believe there is a single person in this country who cant afford €2 per week. Chances are if their income is less than their outgoings they will be in receipt of mortgage interest supplement which will mean they are exempt anyway.

So the extra you have to pay for your bin charges amounts to €2 per week which is the last €2 per week you have. So until you got the letter in the box today you were planning on using that last €2 per week to pay the household charge then?

How many extra €2`s a week extra increases does it take?

Or is it a case of, once each increase is only €2, it will always be affordable, no matter how many increases?

No point mentioning your other expenses to donal there, he only wants to hear about the household charge. The rest is null and void to him.

They have no bearing on your household charge affordability because this thread is about the household charge.

And he has the cheek to call me childish (then complain about attacking the poster), and i lost credibility, then comes up with this rubbish.

Attacking the poster again while offering no genuine argument in response to any of my arguments.

yes because i stopped giving my child his pocket money

And iv been told, by the citizens advice centre that were not entitled to mortgage relief because my partner works full time.

Attacking the poster again while offering no genuine argument in response to any of my arguments.

You believe there is no one in the country that cant afford any more increases. I dont think that requires any examples really.

How many extra €2`s a week extra increases does it take?

Or is it a case of, once each increase is only €2, it will always be affordable, no matter how many increases?

This is one €2 per week increase so lets debate that and not the hypothetical charges

• Advertisement

You believe there is no one in the country that cant afford any more increases. I dont think that requires any examples really.

Is it because you have none?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement