Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,934 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The gap appears to be widening further.Its nearly time for Sly Phil to come out and issue another threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The gap appears to be widening further.Its nearly time for Sly Phil to come out and issue another threat.

He is monitoring the poll hour by hour. The disturbing anti trend has prompted him into action.

A big publicity campaign is planned for early February – when every house should be getting a leaflet telling them about the Household Charge. So the payment figures should rise fast after that – as long as their website can cope.
    The leaflet delivery charges for the approximate 1.9 million properties could be in the region of €180,000 . The printing costs will probably add on something like €40,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Ghandee wrote: »
    Maybe its true Francis:confused:

I've yet to see you post any evidence that contradicts it.

That's right, because loads of other people already have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fintanforde

I'm only after moving to Galway & I'm just renting for now so it wont apply to me. But if & when I buy my house I'm sure the €1.93 per week won't put me off the additional burden of having a mortgage.

I'm only after moving to Galway & I'm just renting for now so it wont apply to me. But if & when I buy my house I'm sure the €1.93 per week won't put me off the additional burden of having a mortgage.

Very loyal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

He is monitoring the poll hour by hour. The disturbing anti trend has prompted him into action.

A big publicity campaign is planned for early February – when every house should be getting a leaflet telling them about the Household Charge. So the payment figures should rise fast after that – as long as their website can cope.
    The leaflet delivery charges for the approximate 1.9 million properties could be in the region of €180,000 . The printing costs will probably add on something like €40,000.

Anyone who gets a leaflet should wipe their arse with it and send it back to Phil Hogan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

He is monitoring the poll hour by hour.

How do you know that? where are you getting your sources for this info? or are you a member of fine gael something?

You re naive if you really believe it would be €1.93 per week if it succeeds.

Some of us have already heard John Fitzgerald pf the Ersi say the real amount of a property tax would be a €1,000 a year alone, lets do the maths on this one, which would work out at €19.23 a week, meaning it would be €2.74 a day, you would be asked to pay if they were to succeed in bringing in a full property tax alone.

http://www.laois-nationalist.ie/tabId/153/itemId/12052/Stop-the-taxes.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Galtee wrote: »
    Of course the Enda Kenny quote is important and relevant as it directly contradicts what he (the same person, not dead) said originally, why is that so difficult for you to understand.

Because they cannot fathom why you would not fawn all over lies, and love, adore, and admire all lies the way they do.

"It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home" - Enda Kenny, 1994

Am Chile wrote: »
    How do you know that? where are you getting your sources for this info? or are you a member of fine gael something?

Yes I am sitting with Big Phil now (he prefers Big Phil to Sly Phil) and he wants to let you know he intends to set up a Household Charge secret police organisation to hunt down objectors.

• Advertisement

Yes I am sitting with Big Phil now (he prefers Big Phil to Sly Phil) and he wants to let you know he intends to set up a Household Charge secret police organisation to hunt down objectors.

Don't pay any heed to what he tells you. He will probably do what Enda does all thev time and give you a different story next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Lets see. My parents earn around 450 eur per week on the oap. They have .3 of an acre near Galway city. Site is prob worth 200k or so. 2% of this is 4 k a year or 9 weeks of their income on this charge alone. Are these gobsh1tes for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

maddragon wrote: »
    Lets see. My parents earn around 450 eur per week on the oap. They have .3 of an acre near Galway city. Site is prob worth 200k or so. 2% of this is 4 k a year or 9 weeks of their income on this charge alone. Are these gobsh1tes for real?

Your parents made the mistake of providing a home for themselves.
    They should have made the state provide everything for them and then they could have saved on this charge.

And another thing. Ireland is not the same as the continent where propert taxes have been there for generations. People who bought their houses in Ireland in recent years did not foresee an enormous property charge that they would have factored into their decisions. I admit if we had such a tax 10 years ago we may well have avoided the boom and bust. Unfortunately people cannot shoulder this burden now. It would be better and fairer to give a 5 to 10 year lead in time to a property tax.

Thats exactly why I am not paying.
    It punishes the people who worked to provide themselves and their families with a home, educated their children and didn't take fancy holidays. Those who scrimped and scraped to do their best.
    It also rewards the people who never worked, took council houses and everything else they could get free off the state and whose children make up the the court lists every week.
    Nice country we live in. I think Dunphy was not too far wrong last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Avatarr

[/B]A mass protest meeting is being organised in Limerick to organize opposition to the government's new Household Tax and Septic Tank Tax.

Limerick Public Meeting: Monday 30th January, 8pm Clarion Hotel
    http://www.nohouseholdtax.org/node/228?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.nohouseholdtax.org/

It's a Stygian nightmare. We bought our home in 2004 when my wife and I earned about 90k. Now we earn about 50k and can just about pay the mortgage. I estimate we will pay around 3k per annum in the finalised property tax. We have had our house for sale for 15 months with 6 viewings in that time. So we can't sell and we can't afford a property tax. Did I also mention we have a septic tank. I can see myself burning down the house and ploughing the site back into agricultural land the way things are going. local farmer will pay me 500 a year for grazing rights.

It's a Stygian nightmare. We bought our home in 2004 when my wife and I earned about 90k. Now we earn about 50k and can just about pay the mortgage. I estimate we will pay around 3k per annum in the finalised property tax. We have had our house for sale for 15 months with 6 viewings in that time. So we can't sell and we can't afford a property tax. Did I also mention we have a septic tank. I can see myself burning down the house and ploughing the site back into agricultural land the way things are going. local farmer will pay me 500 a year for grazing rights.

Where are you getting your figures from? All I know is that it is €100 this year for everybody liable and in future it will be a different charge depending on various criteria. Everything else at the moment is speculation.

The people leading the agititation against the charge really have no interest in the welfare of the owners of private property. They are doing it to disrupt the capitalist system. Their long term goal is to put the means of production into the hands of the working class and the seizure of private property by the state could be the next move. Their comrades delivered real stygian nightmares to unfortunate populations round the world in the past.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1221/breaking6.html

Extract form the newspaper article.

The commission recommended a system of property tax that would raise €1.2 billion a year, which is eight times greater than the €160 million that will be raised by the €100 charge.

Under the commission’s proposed scheme a charge of €188 would be paid on houses valued at up to €150,000; €563 on houses between €150,000 and €300,000; €938 on houses up to €450,000; €1,313 on houses valued at up to €600,000; €1,699 on houses up to €750,000; €2,188 on houses valued at up to €1 million; €3,125 on houses up to €1.5 million and 0.25 per cent of the valuation on houses over that.

dxhound, you havent heard about the possible 2% site valuation tax then. Yes it's all just speculation at the moment but it has the likes of my parents and I planking it.

dxhound, you havent heard about the possible 2% site valuation tax then. Yes it's all just speculation at the moment but it has the likes of my parents and I planking it.

More speculation from the article.

It is unlikely that the scheme to be adopted by the Government will be as onerous as that proposed by the commission, particularly given that there are local and European elections in 2014, the year after the charges are likely to come into effect.

Water charges are due to come into operation later in 2014 once the country has been fully metered as part of the programme to widen the tax base.

Life is tough for lots of people like yourself but in the end if you cannot afford to pay whatever it will be next year then you cannot afford to pay. I think people who can afford the €100 this year are best advised to pay and not run up arrears and fines. Try and enjoy life as much as possible for the next eleven months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

If the property tax isn't generally complied with, their OAP will probably be Eur350 per week.

If the property tax isn't generally complied with, their OAP will probably be Eur350 per week.

AND the scaremongering has started again right on cue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I still have had no formal contact about this charge. Until I do, I will not consider registering .

I simply never knew about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I still have had no formal contact about this charge. Until I do, I will not consider registering .

I simply never knew about it.

You'll know about it when there's a charge registered on your property though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

I think its going to hit people in the country hard. Like my house is on land of 1.5 acres even tho the house is only on about .25 of that so the rest is garden and field. I registered for the tax already but I didn't think at the time it was going to be on the area in total. I did hope it was just going to go on value of the house but it doesn't look that way now. Only thing I have standing to me is that i bought during the boom.

donalg1 wrote: »
    You'll know about it when there's a charge registered on your property though

?
    HUNDREDS of people are likely to escape the tax on second homes after the authorities admitted it is too expensive and time consuming to pursue those who have refused to pay it.

The Department of the Environment admitted resources were not available to pinpoint the identities of those dodging the €200-a-year non-principal private residence (NPPR) charge.

A spokesman said it would be a costly and time-consuming task to correlate information from land registry records -- a task beyond the capabilities of most cash-strapped county councils.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hundreds-escape-secondhome-tax-2913935.html

If the fine gael can,t pinpoint the identities of those not registered for the second home tax, how do you expect to pinpoint the identites of those who won,t be registering for the household tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

Not a hope in hell will I be paying this charge they can F off, I pay everything but now its time to say NO!! The fools who went out and registered right away are not helping but there is still a massive amount of people that will not pay it this will make it extremely difficult for this system to be implemented

People need to wake up and stop being taking for a ride and a fool.

AND the scaremongering has started again right on cue.

It's not scaremongering.

The reality is simple really, either extra tax has to be collected or else expenditure has to be cut. Expenditure includes all welfare payments.

?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hundreds-escape-secondhome-tax-2913935.html

If the fine gael can,t pinpoint the identities of those not registered for the second home tax, how do you expect to pinpoint the identites of those who won,t be registering for the household tax?

Just because it isn't being collected on certain houses, doesn't mean it's resolved. Wait until the tax cheats try to sell their houses. The penalties on the NPPR are severe.

• Advertisement

?

The article also says that €68 million was collected in 2010 meaning that 340,000 people paid. 14,000 in Kerry for instance impressed me. And that selective prosecutions are being brought against some owners of multiple properties. No doubt there are lots not paying but the bad news for evaders is that instead of paying €600 so far their liability is now €1600 and rising (€20 per month late fee). And as with the househhold charge everything will remain as a charge on the title of the property.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement