Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,934 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's not scaremongering.

The reality is simple really, either extra tax has to be collected or else expenditure has to be cut. Expenditure includes all welfare payments.

When will you realise that we cannot pay and will eventually default if we don't get a better deal. Meanwhile our little poodle keeps licking up to his European masters and contradicting himself instead of demanding a better deal.
    You cannot keep milking the same people all the time Donal. They are taxed out and have nothing more to give. I am still not paying this unjust tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

D1stant wrote: »
    Simple Question

I will pay it even though it's unfair because I agree with taxing wealth and the tax base should be wide . BUT it should be means tested and relative to the size and location of the property

I am waiting for Ray D'Arcy to make a statement linking this with emmigration

This bugs the hell out of me... why would you pay this "unjust, morally wrong and unfair tax" (Enda Kenny) ?? This is why the powers are walking all over us and screwing us because we allow them to...

I read other comments here
    "you will pay more if you do not register" these are scare tactics do people honestly believe that they can inforce this if 90% of the country ignored this??

"can people not afford €100 a year??" this makes me laugh... ah sure we can afford €300 a week lets give it to the government we might aswel. If you think its going to stay at that rate you need to come back to earth, whats next? portable oxygen intake meters to tax the amount we breath? this is the reason why we need to say NO NO NO NO NO because it will not stop!!

"we have to pay it, what can we do" typical Irish mentality, get up and say NO and dont pay it, its simple, we put the government where they are today we have a say in what happens also!

Before the do-gooders say anything yes I know the state needs money but there are lots of common sense ways of getting this instead of the easy way out... US, most people who disagree with this are not struggling to put bread on there table or hoping they will have a home the next day... so before you start going of on one think and be a bit open minded...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

When will you realise that we cannot pay and will eventually default if we don't get a better deal. Meanwhile our little poodle keeps licking up to his European masters and contradicting himself instead of demanding a better deal.
    You cannot keep milking the same people all the time Donal. They are taxed out and have nothing more to give. I am still not paying this unjust tax.

If you read my contributions, I think you'd see that I fully realise that we will default (irrespective of how it is ultimately described).

My key point at all times is that we should control when that happens. If we default when we are still depending on external support to meet our day to day expenditure, some people in this country will really suffer extremely badly (including children and elderly people). That's what motivates me to contribute my share to try to see our current budget position stabilised.

Once we attain that position, I don't give a damn if we walk away from repayment of the debt we owe to the ECB (previously known as the Bank bailout), subject to an appropriate cost/benefit analysis at that point.

BTW, I don't accept your comment that you can't keep milking the same people. There is plenty more milk to be collected yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Am Chile wrote: »
    ?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hundreds-escape-secondhome-tax-2913935.html

If the fine gael can,t pinpoint the identities of those not registered for the second home tax, how do you expect to pinpoint the identites of those who won,t be registering for the household tax?

They can just ask Revenue for a list of people who claim mortgage interest relief. Decent start right there.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

K-9 wrote: »
    They can just ask Revenue for a list of people who claim mortgage interest relief. Decent start right there.

40% of new homes are beiing bought with cash. Go figure!!!! What you're asking revenue to do os tax the poor .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

40% of new homes are beiing bought with cash. Go figure!!!! What you're asking revenue to do os tax the poor .

And people say their broke, they have no money but yet can afford to give 100,200,300,400 k cash for a house with no mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

True, getting at cash buyers will be interesting, considering the mess the Land Registry is!

And no it isn't taxing the poor. Anybody entitled to interest relief gets it, paying tax or not, whether on €10,000 or €1 Million. Another stupid change brought in under FF, but sure no surprise there.

BTW, Revenue do not notify you of your entitlement to Interest Relief, if you don't claim it, tough sh*te, you'll only get 4 years back. Government agencies don't have to notify anybody individually of this tax either! :D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    And people say their broke, they have no money but some people yet can afford to give 100,200,300,400 k cash for a house with no mortgage.

FYP. Poor get poorer etc.

squod wrote: »
    FYP. Poor get poorer etc.

That word "SOME" is causing a lot of trouble lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Mr CJ wrote: »
    This bugs the hell out of me... why would you pay this "unjust, morally wrong and unfair tax" (Enda Kenny) ?? This is why the powers are walking all over us and screwing us because we allow them to...

I read other comments here
    "you will pay more if you do not register" these are scare tactics do people honestly believe that they can inforce this if 90% of the country ignored this??

"can people not afford €100 a year??" this makes me laugh... ah sure we can afford €300 a week lets give it to the government we might aswel. If you think its going to stay at that rate you need to come back to earth, whats next? portable oxygen intake meters to tax the amount we breath? this is the reason why we need to say NO NO NO NO NO because it will not stop!!

"we have to pay it, what can we do" typical Irish mentality, get up and say NO and dont pay it, its simple, we put the government where they are today we have a say in what happens also!

Before the do-gooders say anything yes I know the state needs money but there are lots of common sense ways of getting this instead of the easy way out... US, most people who disagree with this are not struggling to put bread on there table or hoping they will have a home the next day... so before you start going of on one think and be a bit open minded...

The State needs money and there is money out there despite some people trying to give the impression that everyone is broke. For instance we managed to keep Paddy Power ticking over nicely allowing their bosses to pay themselves 5 or 7 times as much as the Taoiseach.

http://calvinayre.com/2011/08/30/business/paddy-power-mobile-turnover-skyrockets/

And the 1 million or so subscribing to Sky and UPC for pay TV can't be broke either. How may TV sets in an average house now, 3 or 4? and every child I see has a moble phone. And along with all this we manage to throw away about €1000 per household in uneaten food every year.

• Advertisement

That word "SOME" is causing a lot of trouble lately.

and people are somehow surprised by all this. SOME people can buy houses for cash, SOME people still drive fancy cars, SOME people withdrew billions of euros from the banks in 2008/9 leaving their debts unpaid.

Of fuhken course there's money in the system. The same people who caused this mess are still fuhken rich. Meanwhile that fuhken lunatic is busying himself taxing the likes of me..............

The State needs money and there is money out there despite some people trying to give the impression that everyone is broke.

The state chose a particular course of action that made it broke, remember??
    LABOUR LEADER Eamon Gilmore repeated his charge of “economic treason” against the Taoiseach.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0113/1224287413015.html

The State needs money and there is money out there despite some people trying to give the impression that everyone is broke. For instance we managed to keep Paddy Power ticking over nicely allowing their bosses to pay themselves 5 or 7 times as much as the Taoiseach.

http://calvinayre.com/2011/08/30/business/paddy-power-mobile-turnover-skyrockets/

And the 1 million or so subscribing to Sky and UPC for pay TV can't be broke either. How may TV sets in an average house now, 3 or 4? and every child I see has a moble phone. And along with all this we manage to throw away about €1000 per household in uneaten food every year.

So the small bit of enjoyment people get either (healthy) gambling or buying a new mobile phone has to come to an end because we still have to bail out bankers etc? BTW gambling increases with a recession because of desperation for money...

The state needs money correct I never said different but the question is why will they not cut expenditure? for eg the money spent on social welfare is mental, why are people still recieving benefits from 2006 and probably earlier?? why are there more incentives the longer your un-employed? sure why bother getting married and working and living honestly? just have loads of kids and dont get married, the social will look after you pay for everything and even provide you with a home, so why bother your hole with the whole marriage thing, working and paying taxes?? Live honestly and try to do whats right and be screwed or do whats wrong and get everything... again no incentives for doing things right...

Then the prisons... another massive waste of money, there are lots of ways to recoup this expenditure but no its to much common sense for the powers...

these are just the tip... there is so much waste of money in this country its beyond believe... what about fuel prices and VAT increase?? another way to cripple us even more, why pay more in local shops just head up the north its a lot cheaper.

Another idea to make money and create employment and keep towns clean, litter wardens. catching at least 25% of the population over 2yrs or less would make half a billion with a €500 fine. Way more than the income from a rip off property tax... these are just examples there are more and better ways, but to be honest can I blame the government taking the easy way out all the time (screwing you and me) when you have fools saying "what can we do, we have to pay it" and asking how high everytime they say jump and not having a backbone in there body to challenge them?? No I cant!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

For instance we managed to keep Paddy Power ticking over nicely allowing their bosses to pay themselves 5 or 7 times as much as the Taoiseach.

Fair play to Paddy Power, they're doing well and able to afford to pay their bosses 5 or 7 times as much as the Taoiseach.
    The last two Taoiseachs, even though paid well, managed to bankrupt the country.
    Overpaid if you ask me,as the return for money was dismal.
    And along with all this we manage to throw away about €1000 per household in uneaten food every year.

Not in my house we don't.
    I'm as tight as fuck.
    What ever morsels manage to escape then the dogs get them.

Within season i grow my own onions, potatoes, carrots, swedes, leeks, lettuce, parsnips, cabbage, strawberries, etc.
    There will be a tax on veg gardens soon I suppose.

mikom wrote: »
    Fair play to Paddy Power, they're doing well and able to afford to pay their bosses 5 or 7 times as much as the Taoiseach.
    The last two Taoiseachs, even though paid well, managed to bankrupt the country.

I'm as tight as fuck.

Within season i grow my own onions, potatoes, carrots, swedes, leeks, lettuce, parsnips, cabbage, strawberries, etc.

haha yes of course there will be sure "what can we do about the veg garden tax??????? we have to pay it, its the law"..... the government have it so handy they can do what they want with us and the few that try stand against them are called spoungers, wasters and alot more. I love Ireland but alot of the people in it and how its run makes me sick...

mikom wrote: »

I'm as tight as fuck.

FFS don't tell them any more or they WILL tax it. I'm still waiting for the cat tax, budgie tax, fridge & freezer tax any any other crazy tax they can come up with. How dare us own our homes.

In some ways the way they are talking about doing an site tax instead o f the value of the property is good and bad. Bad if you live on a large site. But good if you have a house that is by some miracle still worth alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

Yes, will pay the 4 X €25 installments. As other posters have said I have the house and evrything that goes with it. I don`t have to agree with every law in the land but do have to comply with them!!

crazyguy01 wrote: »
    Yes, will pay the 4 X €25 installments. As other posters have said I have the house and evrything that goes with it. I don`t have to agree with every law in the land but do have to comply with them!!

Thats how im paying it too but it all depends on what you can afford when it comes to septic tank charges and water rates etc. Just because we register for one tax doesn't mean you have to register for every single one. Ya dig? :cool:

Thats how im paying it too but it all depends on what you can afford when it comes to septic tank charges and water rates etc. Just because we register for one tax doesn't mean you have to register for every single one. Ya dig? :cool:

Once they have you for one they have you for all. You are now on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

I agree Gareth, and I am not looking forward to the septic tank inspection results...fingers crossed but I am very sure I would be ok...well optimistic anyway. And I have been paying for water for quite a few years now. My only way of getting it is in a private water scheme - €125 a year

Once they have you for one they have you for all. You are now on the list.

Ah well I ain't bothered, do I look bothered? (Vicky pollard) Tbh another 2 years here and the wife can hop off to a diff country i might follow her if things keep going to sh*t which they more than likely will.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

In some ways the way they are talking about doing an site tax instead o f the value of the property is good and bad. Bad if you live on a large site. But good if you have a house that is by some miracle still worth alot.

I have a 2 acre site, oh crap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ah well I ain't bothered, do I look bothered? (Vicky pollard) Tbh another 2 years here and the wife can hop off to a diff country i might follow her if things keep going to sh*t which they more than likely will.

Enda likes this (Thumbs up).

Yes Enda & Co have a jobs creation programme. Unfortunately its not in Ireland.

galwayrush wrote: »

Yeah they said that people in dublin may pay more but if it goes on site size people in the country could pay more than dublin because we live on large sites, have large gardens etc. The guy did say if the land wasn't used eg( 2 acre site but your house is on .5 acre drive way and all and the rest is garden or field) it could be rezoned as argricultural land. Id worry about that in the sense that will they say you no longer own that land then because it has been rezoned so you wont have to pay tax on it :mad:. We will have to wait and see what happens.

Yes Enda & Co have a jobs creation programme. Unfortunately its not in Ireland.

I agree with you on this but if the wife goes she is going on a boat. Tax free too :D. I never though of it like that your employment is tax free unless your a US citizen because the ships are nearly always registered to US companies and if your not american your in international waters so tax free employment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Yeah they said that people in dublin may pay more but if it goes on site size people in the country could pay more than dublin because we live on large sites, have large gardens etc. The guy did say if the land wasn't used eg( 2 acre site but your house is on .5 acre drive way and all and the rest is garden or field) it could be rezoned as argricultural land. Id worry about that in the sense that will they say you no longer own that land then because it has been rezoned so you wont have to pay tax on it :mad:. We will have to wait and see what happens.

When i got planning, it had to be min half an acre, most of us will be fecked .

When i got planning, it had to be min half an acre, most of us will be fecked .

Oh yeah il be wishin id never left rented place in dublin.

• Advertisement

Plant it with willow and claim it's forestry! (that's what I'm doing) worth a try.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement