Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ucd exams

Options
  • 15-12-2011 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Im just wondering who organises the exam timetable? because i had 2 2,000 word essays to do in study week and i am after doing 4 of my core exmas in 5 days!!! its absolutely f**king ridiculous! so gonna write a strongly worried essay!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Its Mary at the student desk that organises them for the whole university, you must have done something to upset her (she works in the restaurant too)

Bit unfair for the lecturers to give you two essays on the last day of term

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

How long ago were you given the essays as a matter of interest?
    Could be a lot worse. Over the past 5 years, i've had 6 exams in 3 day etc.. and many other combinations.

I had been puttin in work throughout the year, so it wasn't overly filled with cramming.

Horses for courses etc though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Can you imagine how complex timetabling is for a university the size of UCD? Just think of the sheer amount of degrees, programmes, modules etc. There are simply going to be students with timetables like yours OP. If they moved your exams, some other programme would be in the same situation. They do the best they can to ensure everybody gets an OK timetable (nobody gets 3 in one day etc).

Unfortunately for you, you are just one person in a University with thousands upon thousands of students. Somebody did not sit down and try to screw you over with your timetable. You are the same as everybody else.

FWIW assessment organise exams. The lecturers decide when the assignment deadlines are for essays. Assessment will not know when the many thousand essay deadlines are around campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

we were given the essays the second last week of term... im just so fed up! working hard all your in mind term exams and all and then having to learn it all in a week!!!!!!
    wel mary from restaurent is in for an ear full!!!!!!

working hard all your in mind term exams and all and then having to learn it all in a week!!!!!!

It is a 12 week semester, you are supposed to be studying all along. You get a week to revise, not learn for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

What PK said ^.

Besidds, its all laid out in the module and course outline the days that assignments will be given out, and will be due. It's not like it was a suprise. It would have been known that there was 2 essays due in the final three weeks.

Plus, 3 weeks for 2 essays is not that bad, when put together with a solid revision plan.

Sorry if it sounds grouchy, but it's the truth.

The more effort one puts in throughout the year, the easier exams and assignments are.

Yeah I'm not trying to be a knob or wind you up OP, but it is far from the worst example I have heard. You need to do the work during the 12 weeks and then the exams, deadlines etc are not as big a worry.

Good luck with them any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Can you imagine how complex timetabling is for a university the size of UCD? Just think of the sheer amount of degrees, programmes, modules etc. There are simply going to be students with timetables like yours OP. If they moved your exams, some other programme would be in the same situation. They do the best they can to ensure everybody gets an OK timetable (nobody gets 3 in one day etc).

Unfortunately for you, you are just one person in a University with thousands upon thousands of students. Somebody did not sit down and try to screw you over with your timetable. You are the same as everybody else.

FWIW assessment organise exams. The lecturers decide when the assignment deadlines are for essays. Assessment will not know when the many thousand essay deadlines are around campus.

The introduction of horizons must have made the whole thing even more complex. One medicine student deciding to pick an Ag module as an elective and the whole timetable falls apart. I'm glad I'm not involved in organising it.

I presume its arranged using some kind of computer programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

OP you're supposed to work throughout the semester rather than solely during the reading weak. As said, 3 weeks to write 2 2,000 word essays is more than doable. This isn't assessments fault, it's solely your own and now you're just looking for excuses.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I presume its arranged using some kind of computer programme?

I'd say that gives them a solid draft anyway. But I'd imagine the human eye is needed to weed out little kinks like the horizons example you gave above. But I actually haven't a clue really. It must be a mammoth task.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Can't be too much work if he's got time to be on boards :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

a strongly worried essay!!!!!

That poor essay..it must be a nervous wreck:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

RMD wrote: »
    OP you're supposed to work throughout the semester rather than solely during the reading weak. As said, 3 weeks to write 2 2,000 word essays is more than doable. This isn't assessments fault, it's solely your own and now you're just looking for excuses.

I knocked up 3000 words in two days before and got an A for it :D. Granted I had all my references and layout already done but still got it finished. 3 weeks is ample time for two essays.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

When do the results usually come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

From ucd.ie
    SEMESTER ONE RESULTS Provisional Results will be available on SIS Student Web no later than 5pm on Wednesday, 18 January 2012 until 12 noon on Monday, 23 January 2012.
    Final Results will be available on SIS Student Web no later than 5.00pm on Thursday, 9 February 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

So... I'm guessing around 7am Wednesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Summer 2010/11 - 1.30 am
    Christmas 2010/11 - out at 7:30 am
    Summer 2009/10 - out at 1:30 am
    Summer 2008/2009 - out at 5 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Hopefully it'll be early this time! It would be an awful day freaking out until 5 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So who is baraging in town on results day, come rain or shine? Will it be the disaster that was Black Monday? Personally, **** town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Uggggggggh, I've checked it about 6 times over the last couple of days just in case, sh*tting a brick.

You reckon around 1 / 2am? That would be sweet, I can't takes it no more!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Stupid question undeserving of a new thread - what week is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SRFCAndyC

Conor108 wrote: »
    Stupid question undeserving of a new thread - what week is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

im SO nervous. I always wait until the people on here say it's online because otherwise I know I'll have f5'd it so many times that I won't be paying attention when it actually comes up and I won't be mentally prepared!! So I'll be f5ing boards instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sweetiepie

I feel sick with nerves. I'm so certain that I failed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Slang_Tang

I haven't used UCD SIS to get results in a few years. Does it still crash every results day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Slang_Tang wrote: »
    I haven't used UCD SIS to get results in a few years. Does it still crash every results day?

Nope, just when you're trying to register for modules or campus accomodation :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

it's 1.30 am or go to bed for me this time round

spagboll wrote: »

That's what they alllll say. But the reality is they will come out at 1.45.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

spagboll wrote: »

I did that in June for the last results - they came out 6 minutes after I went to bed, according to the times people got them on boards :o

• Advertisement

I did that in June for the last results - they came out 6 minutes after I went to bed, according to the times people got them on boards :o
    The horror stories of results morning. Deepest sympathies. :(

Advertisement