Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ucd exams

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Slang_Tang wrote: »
    If the pass rate is only 50% and your GPA is 3.4, you should be thrilled.

Sorry I should have phrased that better, the pass grade is 50% rather than 40%.

A+,A, B+, C, D+

I thought I was going to fail the D+ so I'm happy its just my undergrad degree gpa was 3.77 so I'm used to getting higher grades.

Going to get the C grade rechecked because I thought the exam went well and I got an A+ in the continuous assessment.

/First world problems

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

3.87!:eek:

Eeeeeeee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

3.87!:eek:

Eeeeeeee!

Jinkies!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Somehow got a 2:1 even though I could have quite easily failed anyone of the exams. Thank **** for continuous assessment in this stoopid Masters.

And yeah I still work in old money and not GPA.

Well done to all who passed and chin up to those who have a repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 john.mac

i was just wondering, when will we know if we have compensated our results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 mrpockets09

Hi just wondering what the story is with compensation marks? I got 5 b's, 1 c and 1 e in an exam i was sure i done well in!! went to programme office and they said i can def compensate it if my results are similar next year. But im just wondering would it be better to repeat? Does it go towards degree like? Im in first year. got 2.94

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

5 E's, a G and a D, doubt anyone can beat that, current Stage GPA of 1.51.
    With 5 left and even if I pass them all, does this mean I cannot compensate? What does the G mean? Is that like worse than a E?

Results pretty much confirmed my expectations except for one, which I was hoping would be a D, but turned out to be a E. ****ity ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Was sick for semester one last year, so had 6 repeat exams this semester.....passed them all. :D:D:D

On to 4th year now, Physics has nothing on me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

im in 2nd year and i failed 2: a core Spanish and a first yr elective. according to a friend i cant compensate on a core spanish, so im guessin ill have to repeat/resit that? but i can compensate my elective? ive a GPA of 2.47.

also, my credit statement sayd ive earned 20 normal credits and 5 credits in electives, even though ive actually earned 25 in normal and 0 in elective. any idea whats up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

in arts if you take the 24 subjects u passed or compentsated in stage 2 are they the only ones they use for your final gpa? To calculate that gpa do you had add the grade points together and divide by 24?

any help appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Preppy

I got an E in one of my modules... which I wasn't expecting. I also got 5 B's and my GPA is currently 3.1. I got an NG in my exam and I don't know how! I'm in stage 1 arts and I was wondering who do I talk to? The module coordinator?
    Also can someone tell me about compensation??
    I'm so confused! What should I do?? thanks :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I THINK you can compensate up to 3 modules if you pass 75% of the rest of your modules and your GPA is over 2.0.

Oh good! How do I do that???

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

I got an F in one of my modules, under the module description it said that I can:

Resit Opportunities
    In-semester assessment

Remediation
    If you fail this module you may repeat, resit or substitute where permissible.

Can anyone tell me what this means exactly. Is it possible for me to resit the exam at the end of semester 2? It was entirely exam based if that makes any difference.
    Only a lowly little first year that has no clue :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Preppy wrote: »
    Oh good! How do I do that???

I'm guessing in Summer if you've got the requirements (9/12 modules passed, GPA over 2) they just magically get compensated. I'm not too sure, got an E myself. Is that what happens anyone?

your going to be automatically registered to a resit/repeat on friday and u need to drop that if ur going to do compensation or ull stil b charged...compensation is done automatically at end of year if u have passed 75% of all modules and have gpa over 2

your going to be automatically registered to a resit/repeat on friday and u need to drop that if ur going to do compensation or ull stil b charged...compensation is done automatically at end of year if u have passed 75% of all modules and have gpa over 2

Can you only compensate with an E?

eh i think its an e or f but not ng...i think, i went to programme office and dey told me about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

F's cannot be compensated.

Most of the info anyone needs about results and what happens after can be found here: http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/info_stu.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I got an E in one of my modules... which I wasn't expecting. I also got 5 B's and my GPA is currently 3.1. I got an NG in my exam and I don't know how! I'm in stage 1 arts and I was wondering who do I talk to? The module coordinator?
    Also can someone tell me about compensation??
    I'm so confused! What should I do?? thanks :confused:

Its very unlikely that you got an NG in your exam if you sat it. Its probably a mistake. Get in touch with the module lecturer or coordinator.

• Advertisement

Ok from what I've gathered I can't compensate because I didn't get an E. So I have to either resit/repeat the module this semester or pick up another module to substitute it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

If I know my GPA for 112.5 credits how do I work out how 10 credits would impact the GPA from those 112.5 plus this new 10 credits?

As in how would I work out what I would get for the total 122.5 credits providing I get X GPA in that 10 credits.

I think I have it worked out, I just want to double check - thanks in advance for any help.

[latex]\displaystyle GPA_{new}=\frac{GPA_{for\,112.5\, credits}\times112.5+GPA_{for\,10\, credits}\times10}{122.5} [/latex]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Ok from what I've gathered I can't compensate because I didn't get an E. So I have to either resit/repeat the module this semester or pick up another module to substitute it.

If you got below an E then no, you can't compensate it.

So yes your options are repeat/resit or substitute (if its not a core module). The GPA of substituted modules is not capped like in a repeat/resit but its more expensive. Info on fees for repeat/resit/substitute can be found here: http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/fees_registration.htm

Its very unlikely that you got an NG in your exam if you sat it. Its probably a mistake. Get in touch with the module lecturer or coordinator.

thanks yeah i think it was! Do you think I should go to the module coordinator or the programme office about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

thanks yeah i think it was! Do you think I should go to the module coordinator or the programme office about it?

I would get in touch with your module coordinator, as that will probably be easier. Regardless of how you did in the exam, you shouldn't have got an NG. An NG states that no work was submitted. Unless you didn't sit the exam, which you did, there has definitely been a mistake on their end. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

If you e-mail a lecturer about your paper would he look over it or would you have to go through the appeals process?

Anyone been through it before? Does it take long?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

If you e-mail a lecturer about your paper would he look over it or would you have to go through the appeals process?

Anyone been through it before? Does it take long?

I've e-mailed a lecturer before, turns out only one of my booklets was corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yeah I was wondering, would it be a bit cheeky to email a lecturer about my paper? I got a C+ but was just hoping I could bump it up to a B-.

I'm only first year and I know this might be incredibly pedantic / it doesn't affect my degree GPA, as it's a + and I was expecting around a B I'd like to bump it up, at very least it looks better on my transcript if, as I plan, to do a postgrad after degree, and also, it's a core module, so kind of looks silly doing well in electives, but not a core.

Am I being incredibly pendantic or is it worth asking? Would lecturer be thinking wtf if I asked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Yeah I was wondering, would it be a bit cheeky to email a lecturer about my paper? I got a C+ but was just hoping I could bump it up to a B-.

I'm only first year and I know this might be incredibly pedantic / it doesn't affect my degree GPA, as it's a + and I was expecting around a B I'd like to bump it up, at very least it looks better on my transcript if, as I plan, to do a postgrad after degree, and also, it's a core module, so kind of looks silly doing well in electives, but not a core.

Am I being incredibly pendantic or is it worth asking? Would lecturer be thinking wtf if I asked?
    I've done that, can be hit or miss depending on the lecturer! Best thing to do is be logical and say something like I'm just really worried I'll make the same mistakes again could you tell me what I did wrong please etc. Emphasize how much you enjoyed the module and how much work you put in and how devastated you are! Never get angry or say you think it was marked wrong etc! Of all the times I've tried it, 3/4 worked :)

Advertisement