Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Define an English person

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

Pedant wrote: »
    If you've met one, you've met them all.

lol
    Plainly untrue and just a bit absurd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

mikemac1 wrote: »
    And stealing players like Ed Joyce from the fine English county of Wicklow

.......and then giving him back to Ireland when they realized he was ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭BQQ

This sums it up fairly well :p

598624_424816204207690_1364093632_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

lol
    Plainly untrue and just a bit absurd.

Not really, it's a cultural thing. Like the way all Chinese people look the same, except it's cultural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I like English people, actually I cant think of a people I dont like.

Not really, it's a cultural thing. Like the way all Chinese people look the same, except it's cultural.

All Chinese people don't look the same!
    Anyway, I'm not sure there is a blanket "English culture". There are an awful lot of them. (Not as many as the Chinese, obviously....)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

A bit like the way all Irish people are superstitious begrudging whingebags with a fondness for drink...to coin a phrase - cop the f**k on !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

BQQ wrote: »
    This sums it up fairly well :p

598624_424816204207690_1364093632_n.jpg

You'd think that whoever transferred the fictional story of a US aircraft carrier and a Canadian lighthouse, to the Royal Navy and an Irish lighthouse, they would at least come up with the name of an aircraft carrier that actually exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Oh Goggle you so crazy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

You know that irony with no satire or context just doesn't work on a forum composed of random people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

A bit like the way all Irish people are superstitious begrudging whingebags with a fondness for drink.

Actually, you're right. Culture is unfortunate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jased10s

so why do all the greedy failed paddys go to england and claim bankrupcy to snake their way out of their debts. Are they irish ?

jased10s wrote: »
    so why do all the greedy failed paddys go to england and claim bankrupcy to snake their way out of their debts. Are they irish ?

Some of them claim to be British and refer to this jurisdiction as "foreign".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

jased10s wrote: »

you do realize this is an Irish site? Calling us paddys is the same as me calling you huns etc on an English website, only there I wouldn't get away with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

"Define a Scottish person" comes back with the Urban Dictionary definition of ned

1. ned
    The epitome of obnoxious youth, to be found hanging around in parks, on street corners and outside the local 'offie' or dealer's house waiting to buy cheap cider, buckie or resin.

Pastimes include beating up strangers, meeting their parole officer and drinking afore-mentioned cider or buckie.

Generally attired in fake burberry cap tilted skywards, trackie bottoms tucked into football socks and a variety of fake gold "sovvies". In the case of the female of the species, this is accessorised by a roll of fat cut in two by a high-rise thong, 17 fake gold hoops in each ear and a screaming, ugly toddler to which she gave birth at the age of 13.

Favourite phrases include 'awrite, ya bam', 'Ah'm gonnae kick yer **** in' and 'are youse lookin' fur a fight?'
    "I was innocently walking down the street when a ned threw an empty buckie bottle at my head."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

NinjaK wrote: »
    you do realize this is an Irish site? Calling us paddys is the same as me calling you huns etc on an English website, only there I wouldn't get away with it

Huns? wtf?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huns
    The Huns were a group of nomadic people who, appearing from east of the Volga River, migrated to the southeastern area of the Causasus at about 150 CE[1] and into Europe c. 370 CE, and established a vast Hunnic Empire there. Since de Guignes linked them with the Xiongnu, who had been northern neighbours of China 300 years prior to the emergence of the Huns,[2] considerable scholarly effort has been devoted to investigating such a connection. However, there is no scholarly consensus on a direct connection between the dominant element of the Xiongnu and that of the Huns.[3] Priscus mentions that the Huns had a language of their own; little of it has survived and its relationships have been the subject of debate for centuries. Most authorities suppose that it may have been a member of the Oghuric branch of the Turkic language family, with the languages Bulgar, Khazar, Turkic Avar and Chuvash.[4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14][15][16][17] Numerous other languages were spoken within the Hun pax including East Germanic, which was widely used as a lingua franca in the Hunnic territories.[18]:202 Their main military technique was mounted archery.
    The Huns may have stimulated the Great Migration, a contributing factor in the collapse of the western Roman Empire.[19] They formed a unified empire under Attila the Hun, who died in 453; their empire broke up the next year. Their descendants, or successors with similar names, are recorded by neighbouring populations to the south, east, and west as having occupied parts of Eastern Europe and Central Asia approximately from the 4th century to the 6th century. Variants of the Hun name are recorded in the Caucasus until the early 8th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Some of them claim to be British and refer to this jurisdiction as "foreign".
    Fomer IRA hunger striker, Tom McFeely?
    "I maintain this is a breach of my human rights and that it is objectionable to expose me as a British citizen to the punitive bankruptcy laws of another country."
    Funny how a man will abandon his principles for a fistful of cash.

Fomer IRA hunger striker, Tom McFeely?

Funny how a man will abandon his principles for a fistful of cash.

A great republican hiding behind the Queen's skirt. Priceless!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

A person who gets up in the morning and pisses on his/her own Cornflakes.

flash1080 wrote: »

And what if they don't eat cornflakes?

• Advertisement

I'm guessing that someone pissed on your cornflakes! :pac:

And what if they don't eat cornflakes?
    English people cause problems for themselves and then complain about them.

I'm guessing that someone pissed on your cornflakes! :pac:
    Nope. At the moment I'm dealing with a lot of British farmers on construction contracts, the majority are ignorant fools and their actions cost them money (and I get to impose the charges! :pac:).

English people cause problems for themselves and then complain about them.

I don't think that is a trait unique to the English.

I don't think that is a trait unique to the English.
    It seems to be a very common trait amongst British people in my experience.

It seems to be a very common trait amongst British people in my experience.

I'm sure it is, but not unique.

I mean, its the German bond holders fault people bought six houses and can't afford to pay for them.

Advertisement