Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is it too cold for LabX to swim?

• 15-12-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

As the title suggests, does anyone have any advice on when it gets too cold to bring my 8yr old Lab/collie swimming? Is it ever too cold here? She's an indoor dog, but she loves to swim and goes into the river and the sea very happily, but I haven't taken her in the last 10 days or so. There's no snow, or lingering frost, (West of Ireland, plenty of rain and sleet) but I wonder if the water might have gotten too cold by now? It is December after all.
    She gets a little sore in the shoulders if her only exercise is walking/tearing around, and swimming usually helps with this.
    Anyone any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Same with my dog, cant get him out of the water....I go swimming on Christmas day with my fella so I dont think its ever too cold if they still wanna go in on their own behalf lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Red Harvest

Same here GSD x that won't stay out of the water. We live by a river and even this time of year he's happy enough to jump in and swim around just because he's seen a leaf floating by.

Normally try and keep him out later in the day when he might end up not being fully dry at bed time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Normally try and keep him out later in the day when he might end up not being fully dry at bed time.

Yeah I'm the same, I try to keep my GSD x sp sp out of the water in the afternoon, it takes forever for her coat to dry. I put a super ser on in the dog shed for them if they're wet so it goes some way toward drying them.

I think as long the dog isn't left in drafty cold conditions when wet its ok for them to keep swimming all year round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

dogs love water my dog was in icy water last january came out with iceickles on her fur but ran it out in 10 mins...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Must be wonderful. I watched a spaniel in the sea in summer. A grand sight indeed to see such utter pleasure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

Thanks all for the encouraging replies. I guess I was just being over cautious. If she's happy to go in, then off with her, she obviously knows herself what she can tolerate.
    I'm happy to hear it too, it's the best exercise for her. I love to see her enjoying the water, and thought it would be a long winter for her without any swims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My guy is the same with the river or sea! He's never stiff or sore afterwards so I let him in and just make sure to dry him after - i got a blaster earlier in the year and it's one of the best things I got for him! If we're at the beach I have a heavy fleece towel/blanket that I throw over him until we get home. It was expensive but he has problems with his legs so I didn't want to take any chances - www.trovercoats.com

Advertisement