Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding birds from apartment balcony

• 15-12-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

hey - I was thinking of putting a bird table or feeders out on the very large balcony I have at my third floor apartment. There are some trees just below the balcony and some higher trees a little up the road.

Does anyone of any experience of this? I am worried that it would be too high to attract small birds and I'd only get big birds like crows and gulls. I'm also concerned about messes to neighbours and pedestrians below!

Any advice would be welcome! Thanks!

Declan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You can put down plastic sheeting if you are worried about the mess or plastic trays to catch the droppings. You can get bird feeders with suckers on them that you stick to your window.

There's various types of disinfectants you can get to help clean up any droppings as well.

Or sneak some bird feeders on to the trees below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I'd be concerned that your neighbours may have a problem with this .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm in a duplex and have a bird table/feeder on the balcony and have no problems. OK, the balcony has its share of droppings but the rain washes it away. The birds love it.

I put out nuts and seeds in the feeder and never get gulls or other large birds. Only the small fellas seem to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

See here for keeping larger birds out :http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056460374

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

The title of the thread remided me of when I used to live on one of the quays in Cork. Every few days, some guy in the apartments across the river from me used to fire stale sliced pans and bread rolls across four lanes of traffic into the river. He must have has some arm on him to get it into the middle of the river always without fail. The seagulls used to love it. Never saw so many of them in all my life!

Thought this was along the lines of what you were going to be asking about. But alas, it turns out you are a rational individual. :)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

they will gather every day in increasing numbers and create a huge problem so feed them up the road..unless it's a small thing on a string that does'nt have a platform .
    They remember and return i had to stop it because .....you know what a hundred seagulls and pigeons sound like outside your window every morning as they await...
    Give it a trial period maybe your flat is better placed for it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

paddyandy wrote: »
    they will gather every day in increasing numbers and create a huge problem so feed them up the road..unless it's a small thing on a string that does'nt have a platform .

My experience is nothing like this

Advertisement