Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinect and RGH

• 15-12-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭

So I got my RGH xbox running freeboot 13604 (thanks TouchingVirus) and I have installed xexmenu, dashlaunch and freestyle dash. The only thing not working now is the Kinect. So I have downloaded the 14699 update from Xbox.com. I'm just wondering is it safe for me to install this update or do I need to do anything special first, and will it fix the issue I am having with the Kinect.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

richie.c wrote: »
    So I got my RGH xbox running freeboot 13604 (thanks TouchingVirus) and I have installed xexmenu, dashlaunch and freestyle dash. The only thing not working now is the Kinect. So I have downloaded the 14699 update from Xbox.com. I'm just wondering is it safe for me to install this update or do I need to do anything special first, and will it fix the issue I am having with the Kinect.

Thanks

Yes just install the official update on top of the hacked and kinect and avatar will be working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Thanks
    Yes just install the official update on top of the hacked and kinect and avatar will be working.

Hang on a minute, you want to install the 14699 Avatar update in a 13699 dash? I may be wrong but I don't think that'll work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

EnterNow wrote: »
    Hang on a minute, you want to install the 14699 Avatar update in a 13699 dash? I may be wrong but I don't think that'll work.

Which update should I install then?

Which update should I install then?

If the avatar updates are backwards compatible, then you should be ok. I'm not entirely sure they are though, so you need to be on the 14699 dash to install the 14699 avatar update etc.

If the avatar updates are backwards compatible, then you should be ok. I'm not entirely sure they are though, so you need to be on the 14699 dash to install the 14699 avatar update etc.

I have downloaded the update from here http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-360/system-updates/system-updates-info#699bb2cc4afb452781dd44fb032bf83a
    I think this is the full system update. So I assume this will update everything including the dash and avatars.
    So is it safe to apply this update or do I need to do anything to it first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I have downloaded the update from here http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-360/system-updates/system-updates-info#699bb2cc4afb452781dd44fb032bf83a
    I think this is the full system update. So I assume this will update everything including the dash and avatars.

If you install 14699 over 13604 it will break rgh image and you will have to flash it with external nand programmer.
    for 13604 rgh or jtag - use official 13604
    for 14699 - use official 14699.

You would have to update your rgh image first using one of the tools (like bestpig) if you want to use the file you downloaded.

If you are happy with 13604 and want to use kinect google "updatespy", it will help you find any update version you want

You have the build the updated dash image yourself, so if you want 14699 then you can't use the MS dash 14699. You'll have be build a modded version of it, there are tutorials at the top of the forum, & easy to use tools too.

Then, you can apply the avatar update over your modified dash. The one you linked to above is the official update, & will break your rgh as Doc mentioned.

Thanks for the info. Thats what I needed to know. Will do some more reading and probably just get the kinect update for 13604 like docentore mentioned unless anyone can tell me a good reason to update to 14699.

Thanks again

Yes sorry i thought he was on the newest hacked dashboard. Didn't read it right. But to be honest and fair on me why would he install an old hacked dashboard. Also i was on my phone on a bus when i replyed.

Also another thing that put me off is him saying he wanted it for Kinect. But it was only the newest dashboard that brought voice activated Kinect to Ireland.

Sorry OP for the confusssion. Just build the newest hacked dashboard 14699 and then install the same officail number version as the hacked on top and Kinect and avatars will work.

On the subject, I have 14699rgh on my xbox and I can't do the avatar update on it, it just won't take it. Using USB stick, dvd drive is gone.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

docentore wrote: »
    On the subject, I have 14699rgh on my xbox and I can't do the avatar update on it, it just won't take it. Using USB stick, dvd drive is gone.

Any ideas?

Dashlaunch is preventing it. Rename it to $$ystemupdate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

docentore wrote: »

Any ideas?

Dashlaunch is preventing it. Rename it to $$ystemupdate

If that doesn't work try $$ystemUpdate, dash launch is programmed to ignore official updates

Thanks lads, I will learn how to use google one day ;)

Got it sorted
    Used Bestpigs freeboot toolbox v2.9.1 to create a new nandflash.bin from my original nand.
    Put nandflash.bin and xenon.elf on the root of a usb stick.
    Inserted usb stick in the xbox and started it with the eject button and it installed.
    removed usb stick and turned off xbox for 30 seconds.
    started xbox normally and 14699 dash was installed, next to get kinect and avatars working.
    put the 14699 update from xbox.com onto the memory stick . renamed the folder to $$ystemupdate and put it in the xbox. powered it on and applied the update.

My RGH Xbo360 slim is now running 14699 with kinect and avatars all working.

Thanks to everyone for their help
    Richie

Advertisement