Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Inny from Sheelin to Derryvaragh be paddled in a Canadian

Options
  • 15-12-2011 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Myself and a couple of paddling, stop out mates are looking to put in at Crover House on Lough Sheelin and get out at Derryvaragh,

My question is can the Inny from Sheelin to Derryvaragh be safely paddled in a Canadian when the water is up a little.

I have heard about meat factory hole and a couple of drops, has anyone tried this in a 3 man fully loaded canadian?

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Been a long time since I paddled that river but check out irishwhitewater.com

"The river is also known for the Meat Factory Hole/Wave on high water. Downriver from Ballymahon Bridge an excellent wave-hole forms on higher water. It stretches almost entire width of river and forms a brilliant wave that is retentive enough to stay in as long as you want but you don't need to worry if you mess up as it will push you out quite quickly. All types of freestyle moves are possible on this wave.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

I paddled this stretch in September. We put in just below the outflow of Sheelin at Finea and recovered on the Donore shore of Derravaragh.

It was a tough paddle as the wind was mostly against us and there isn't much river flow to help you out. Its mostly long, deep and slow. There is only one place you'll have to portage, where there is a weir just before a concrete land bridge. Not enough headroom to squeeze under the bridge in a canadian. Can't remember exactly where, but its below L. Kinale. Having said that, you paddle through bogs and forest and mostly you are away from the road so its a nice spin. Once you hit Derravaragh, the nearest place to take out is on the Donore shore so you'll have to cross the lake....not fun if its windy.

The hole people are talking about is below Ballymahon, well d/s of Derravaragh...

Enjoy.....we did!

Forgot to say, finding the outlet from Kinale is tricky, lots of rushes disguising it. Worth having a look on google maps first so you know ehere you are heading for...

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Wiley1

I paddled this stretch in September. We put in just below the outflow of Sheelin at Finea and recovered on the Donore shore of Derravaragh.

It was a tough paddle as the wind was mostly against us and there isn't much river flow to help you out. Its mostly long, deep and slow. There is only one place you'll have to portage, where there is a weir just before a concrete land bridge. Not enough headroom to squeeze under the bridge in a canadian. Can't remember exactly where, but its below L. Kinale. Having said that, you paddle through bogs and forest and mostly you are away from the road so its a nice spin. Once you hit Derravaragh, the nearest place to take out is on the Donore shore so you'll have to cross the lake....not fun if its windy.

The hole people are talking about is below Ballymahon, well d/s of Derravaragh...

Enjoy.....we did!

Forgot to say, finding the outlet from Kinale is tricky, lots of rushes disguising it. Worth having a look on google maps first so you know ehere you are heading for...

Thanks a million Sinead, sounds like a nice spin down. How long did it take, is it worth bringing the camping gear?

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Wiley1

MugMugs wrote: »
    Been a long time since I paddled that river but check out irishwhitewater.com

"The river is also known for the Meat Factory Hole/Wave on high water. Downriver from Ballymahon Bridge an excellent wave-hole forms on higher water. It stretches almost entire width of river and forms a brilliant wave that is retentive enough to stay in as long as you want but you don't need to worry if you mess up as it will push you out quite quickly. All types of freestyle moves are possible on this wave.
    "

Cheers Mugs, I saw that on their site alright, hopefully a canadian would punch through that without us taking a swim.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

If you are planning on doing it now, you might not have enough daylight to do it in one day so might be best to bring the gear. Its approx 20k from Finea to inflow of Derravaragh....at an average speed of 3/4km/hr....its one long day or two easier days....

Plenty of out of the way places to camp though in the forested sections the bank sides are marshy....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

hello

Did you ever hear of an electric outboard engine?

Well my self and friend paddled down the river in a canadian during the summer.

the weather was great, the river is quite slow. I dont mind paddling the upper part , but past the red bridge it gets slower.

you would need two persons to paddle the boat to get there in a decent time

it took three hours to paddle from the second bridge down to the mouth of the river and to muchanagh Harbour.

I have an Minn kota electric engine from USA and runs on battery. It will in future save me the hastle of crossing big lakes. I have the battery under the seat.

Wait a few weeks just before the spring rains.

I would not worry too much about the big rapid below Ballymahon, its biggest on the river but its passable in a canoe.

I have a charles river with High prows

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Ps say hello to John keegan casey A.K.A "leo" if you see him ?

Advertisement