Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Lard in Dublin city?

Options
  • 15-12-2011 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

So Tesco online shopping have it listed for 55c/200g.

But I've rang most Tesco's around the city (I've to spell it out for them, they mostly don't know what it is I'm asking for) and none that answered stock it apparently. FX buckley have beef drippings but it's about 3 times the price. Anyone know which if any tesco's (or any other place who) sell it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Would Tesco clare hall have it?

Tesco extra in Wexford have it, so assume all tesco extra's sell it. Its beside the butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco ballybrack definitely have it. Alongside the frytex and cookeen which is near the butter as said.

If you are registered with a clubcard it should detect your address and only show whats in the local store which would be delivering to you. If you are a city centre I dunno which it would select though.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Dunne's beacon court (sandyford industrial estate) and Tesco Stillorgan (I think) have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

It's east to find in Tesco and Dunne's, Tesco's Value lard is in a blue and white wrapper, open your eyes or you will never get a big ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Found it in Jervis St... after ringing them and they told me they didn't stock it.
    nudger wrote: »
    It's east to find in Tesco and Dunne's, Tesco's Value lard is in a blue and white wrapper, open your eyes or you will never get a big ass.
    Nice, except I'm not eating it:

http://i.imgur.com/ZYUpG.jpg

• Advertisement

Care to explain why.:confused:

Care to explain why.:confused:
    It's a 28c candle.

Does it not burn very quick and is there not a bit of a fatty smell?

Does it not burn very quick and is there not a bit of a fatty smell?
    Nope burns clean (once the wick is smaller than shown so it doesn't smoke, same as wax) and actually burns slower than wax. Fat (oil) is 9 kcal per gram while wax is only about 6. Also you don't need borax treated wick like you do for a wax candle, regular plain old twine does the job.

Only problem is it doesn't retain consistency, it melts quickly so you need a tallish container so the wick stays upright (anchored by the lower unmelted layers). A glass tumbler is perfect. Tallow (beef/lamb drippings) is better in this regard, it's harder and maintains its shape better.

cool so I could fill old used candle holders, cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement