Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much draught in WoodBurner?

• 15-12-2011 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I put in a Mulberry cast iron wood burner last year - to cut down on using the Oil Central heating. It gives off great heat but it burns way too much fuel. I've compared it to several neighbours and they can all stack up their fire and then close all the vents and keep the fire going for hours, even overnight! I open the vents to get it started, then close em all down, but the most I get out of filling it with coal and blocks is a couple of hours. I typically put in a good layer of coal, then top with blocks. Tried several times to keep it going overnight with no success, just a huge blaze!
    Also noticed sometimes that its really hard to light - even wtih firelighters and wood - it seems to blow out! Sometimes I can't even get the firelighter to catch fire, the draught is so strong. The plumber who fitted it cannot be reached (tho he has a good reputation and seems honest) so what to do? What could be the problem and how can I fix it!
    Any help much appreciated.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

can u tell us something about the flue/chimney [height/doameter/custom built for stove etc] set up as well as the exact model of stove.

Is the grate adjustable and possible set fully open as opposed to closed

It is possible that one of the vents is not closing properly or the draught in the chimney is too strong.

The hard to start bit would be symptomatic of a large diameter flue with a big stack of cold air that is hard to shift. The old solution for that is to light a sheet of paper on its own first in the fire

For keeping in at night try 3 briquettes in the middle of grate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Overnight burns deposit lots of unburned tar on the chimney as the vents are closed right down. I don't do them as I'm afraid of a chimney fire. Plus it really messes up my stove glass with creosote.
    So are you saying that even with the vents closed that you still get a blaze in the burn chamber? If so, you may have a leaking seal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Overnight burns deposit lots of unburned tar on the chimney as the vents are closed right down. I don't do them as I'm afraid of a chimney fire. Plus it really messes up my stove glass with creosote.
    So are you saying that even with the vents closed that you still get a blaze in the burn chamber? If so, you may have a leaking seal.

+1
    the paradox being that a big hot burn at the start could have buckled the vents or the stove inners

On the overnight burn I agree with the tarring issue so what I do is burn the briquettes hot first and then when they are glowing shut down the vents, there is still a trickle of air left and unless the night is very windy there will be a few red embers left in the morning.

Advertisement