Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with setting up a business online

Options
  • 15-12-2011 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently a business student and thinking of setting up a small online store selling sports gear.
    I am wondering can you give me information regards Business Law.

I have a supplier found in the UK but I'm wondering can i sell brand names in my shop without asking the first.
    the brands i want to sell are Yonex, Victor, Yehlex, Head, and Wilson.

do different company's have different policies ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

As far as i know once you get them from a distributer you can sell, Some distributers have a few policys such as turnover and also want to see specifically that you are a legitmate seller etc, so you wont be undercutting them or ruining the brand.
    Such as hilfiger brand and warhammer.. they specifically dont want it going on ebay, you can but if you get caught your done with that particular distributer.
    Also company infos, years trading all that jazz might be a factor in getting these products..

Mate if its sports gear its a dime a dozen and you shouldnt have any problems getting most brands onboard with you.#
    Hard market to crack you must be crazy or have a sizable marketing budget to throw at it ...

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TerryGorry

James
    That is a big undertaking for a business student.

Why not start a website and sell all of those products and more as an affiliate with Amazon or some other affiliate program such as
    • Commission Junction
    • ShareaSale.com and many others.
    You could also dropship but affiliate sales are a good way to dip your toe in the water and Amazon is a selling machine.

Terry

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭james1992

thanks for the advice.
    but i dont understanf what you mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TerryGorry

James

If you are not an affiliate then you will be buying physical stock and storing it. This can be expensive;)

If you are only a student with limited resources then setting up a website and selling the products and getting an affiliate commission would be a good way to start without a big upfront investment.

If you are thinking of setting up an online store and don't know what affiliate marketing is then you should reconsider until you acquire more knowledge.
    Terry

Advertisement