Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Tax

Options
  • 15-12-2011 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

I bought my house 7 odd years ago. It is in a development of ten houses. The estate was not finished to the conditions of planning permission being granted, some of the terms the builder fobbed off as not a condition etc etc. These are clearly stated as a condition of planning permission being granted. When I queried this with the council they sent out an inspector and agreed that the estate is not finished to the terms of the planning permission. I have for a while tried to get the council to force the builder to complete the development, (I bought the house off the plans on the spec of the planning permission) the builder has since gone bust. This happened after my complaint was lodged the builder had a bond with the council for €200,000. My question is if the council have agreed that the estate is not finished to the terms of the planning permission being grated, would I still be liable to pay the property tax even though I live in a development that is not finished? Just a thought.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

You pay the tax on a household. It makes no difference in legal terms what constitutes a household if other houses are not finished or the area landscaped as agreed.

As far as I am aware the only loophole is if your structure does not have a fixed roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

I stand to be corrected, but I think there may be a loophole for certain estates that are yet to be finished, with regards the new tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Damie wrote: »
    I stand to be corrected, but I think there may be a loophole for certain estates that are yet to be finished, with regards the new tax.

Yeah, I think they're going to name the ghost estates excluded from the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jenniferalan

Sorry to dig up old post

Will unfinished housing estates/ghost estates be exempt from property tax? I got a letter today with an approx valuation equal to 112 euro due but on the pamphlet it said some unfinished housing estates to be exempt. Does anyone know anything further about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

OP you have no argument. There are some exemptions to ghost estates, yours is not a ghost estate. You owe it so pay it.

• Advertisement

Sorry to dig up old post

Will unfinished housing estates/ghost estates be exempt from property tax? I got a letter today with an approx valuation equal to 112 euro due but on the pamphlet it said some unfinished housing estates to be exempt. Does anyone know anything further about this?

You most likely have to pay. Unless your estate is named as one that is exempt as a ghost estate. Did you pay the household charge ? If you werent exempt from that then there isnt a snowballs chance in hell you will now be exempt for the LPT

Yes we were exempt from household charge. Where would I find a list of estates exempt?

Yes we were exempt from household charge. Where would I find a list of estates exempt?

Dont believe its published yet. If you were exempt form the household charge my gut feeling would be that you are probably exempt form the LPT too.

The leaflet I got advised further details will be available on the revenue website. You dont need to worry about it till may but if you cant find a few days before the assesment is due then give revenue a call Id say

I found this but can't see anything about my case

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2013/1213/b1213.pdf

I found this but can't see anything about my case

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2013/1213/b1213.pdf

the leaflet says detials will be on www.revenue.ie so thats the site to keep an eye on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Does the property tax letter come from limerick? Received an official letter today but the name on it is the owner from 7 years ago.

Advertisement