Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City

Options
  • 15-12-2011 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

when is RTE going to axe this absolute drivel of a soap opera, did you know it has a 2.5/10 user rating on IMDB.com

The "acting" is horrendous

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

OMG its actually on IMDB.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

i watch it for the drivel! (rarely)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 BoardsUser836

Hell yeah it is :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

But then what would we watch for unintentional hilarity?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 OddJobz

whilst viewing for unintentional hilarity always bear in mind that this is what your licence fee is squandered on..and also hector

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

As is Glenroe :)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

When are the endless, inane FC haters going to get over themselves...?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

FC is my favourite comedy show on tv/rte. I object strongly to it being axed.

*mad face*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Where else could we see all three Dillon skins and blister?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 robot5

fair city voiceovers in youtube very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

when is RTE going to axe this absolute drivel of a soap opera, did you know it has a 2.5/10 user rating on IMDB.com

The "acting" is horrendous

Whats this....theres now some actual acting going on in Fair City???
    When did this occur?

Was it possible to get anyone as useless at acting as Leo?

Save your replies because the answer is YES.

The wide eyes overacting with incredible over the top enthusiasm girlfriend he has hooked up with.

Oh Dear Lord....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Good ol' Leo, never fails to get da ride, wasn't he getting it on with Niamh Brennan for a while at some stage or was that just Barry, shes some size now.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

I watch fair city :)

I'd hate to see it axed. You tell Yvonne doyle, if you choose to.. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

I think the viewing figures suggest otherwise. Even if it is a pile of sh*te, people watch it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jsn.peters

Any ideas what is going to happen with the Lucy storyline ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Fair City is brutal and brilliant at the same time. Its so bad that its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 averageperson

I watch FC regularly and have done for a few years. It is atrocious but what keeps me hooked is how it constantly finds new ways to be atrocious.
    They seem to be re-vamping things script-wise recently, trying to make it more "bitchy", more like Dynasty...it has become very camp, especially the dialogue of Renee and Ingrid and Carol. This I find boring...
    I guess cutbacks are behind the ever-decreasing cast - many characters are out of town or off-screen, active only through their speech being reported by others ("I got a letter from Keith, he says he's having a great time..."). This is even more awkward when only one half of a couple are being used (Christy reported Val's speech for a few episodes, as did Esther for Charlie...while the actors were "resting" I guess) or in the Dillon family scenes, with their Stalin-esque absences. All the while Rita lurks offstage in that nursing home netherworld, like the phantom twitch of an amputated limb. Why don't they just kill her off?
    Characters multi-task for cost-effectiveness, so they veer between extremes: Suzanne became a violent husband-beater and then reformed one afternoon, back on speaking terms with Damien and everything; Yvonne is a part-time lesbian who can be evil for a while, then just misunderstood, or even kind...whatever is needed that week; one of these days, Barry will probably return from prison as a Rabbi - it is about the only job he has not done yet.
    There is also an extra who desperately tries to steal the limelight. He is tall with dark hair, and whereas most others stay in the background, he always puts his head into shot and makes big gestures and facial expressions. The fact that he remains on the payroll astonishes me...and if you watch carefully, you will see actors every now and then use the wrong name when addressing close friends or family. Yes, that still happens.
    There are a few good actors on it, I must say, Bob Charles and Cass of course, quite a few more...but then you look at Leo and you think - how did he ever get on telly? :confused: Thank God he did, he is one of my favourites, bad and all as he is...
    And yes, I hope it never ends, I love it...I would love to see re-runs of really old episodes run instead of the pointless repeats of the previous night's show, even starting from episode one. I love it, I really do...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I watch FC regularly and have done for a few years. It is atrocious but what keeps me hooked is how it constantly finds new ways to be atrocious.
    They seem to be re-vamping things script-wise recently, trying to make it more "bitchy", more like Dynasty...it has become very camp, especially the dialogue of Renee and Ingrid and Carol. This I find boring...
    I guess cutbacks are behind the ever-decreasing cast - many characters are out of town or off-screen, active only through their speech being reported by others ("I got a letter from Keith, he says he's having a great time..."). This is even more awkward when only one half of a couple are being used (Christy reported Val's speech for a few episodes, as did Esther for Charlie...while the actors were "resting" I guess) or in the Dillon family scenes, with their Stalin-esque absences. All the while Rita lurks offstage in that nursing home netherworld, like the phantom twitch of an amputated limb. Why don't they just kill her off?
    Characters multi-task for cost-effectiveness, so they veer between extremes: Suzanne became a violent husband-beater and then reformed one afternoon, back on speaking terms with Damien and everything; Yvonne is a part-time lesbian who can be evil for a while, then just misunderstood, or even kind...whatever is needed that week; one of these days, Barry will probably return from prison as a Rabbi - it is about the only job he has not done yet.
    There is also an extra who desperately tries to steal the limelight. He is tall with dark hair, and whereas most others stay in the background, he always puts his head into shot and makes big gestures and facial expressions. The fact that he remains on the payroll astonishes me...and if you watch carefully, you will see actors every now and then use the wrong name when addressing close friends or family. Yes, that still happens.
    There are a few good actors on it, I must say, Bob Charles and Cass of course, quite a few more...but then you look at Leo and you think - how did he ever get on telly? :confused: Thank God he did, he is one of my favourites, bad and all as he is...
    And yes, I hope it never ends, I love it...I would love to see re-runs of really old episodes run instead of the pointless repeats of the previous night's show, even starting from episode one. I love it, I really do...:D

Very good read ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

I wish they would do re-runs too. I think many people would be interested in watching the first series. Ros na Run does this and I think it's a great idea. It's not like they have lost the tapes like The Late Late but probably it has to do with paying the actors something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭grottyblotty

I love Fair City, my guilty pleasure. And in any case its well ahead of Coranation Street in the domestic abuse story line.

I wish they would show when it first started, as I moved here 11 years ago, so I have missed out on the mad Lucy story line with Daloras.

I noticed last week when Wayne was speaking to Dolaras in the kitchen, he put bread on his plate, and then it wasnt on the plate,then he put another two slices on the plate added more cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 averageperson

I have to post about the blatant plugging for Spar on the show. There was a little meeting between Dr Dillon and Niamh in the shop tonight which did nothing to advance the plot. They just spoke about biscuits and reasons to indulge in them, about how great biscuits are in general. Niamh mentioned hobnobs and Ben'n'Jerry's - sugary confections to which she is certainly partial - and Judith had a bit of a guffaw and that was that. The Doc really should have had a chat about type-2 diabetes, but I guess that would've spoiled the product placement.

How does it work? Do Spar have it in their contract that such scenes are included? A lot of scenes are set in the Spar, often to ludicrous effect: I am thinking especially of the drug-related meetings with Collie in recent weeks, or the Spar-crossed lovers Dermot and Maeve, whose courtship took place over a few chance meetings at the yoghurt section.

Finally...the young actor that plays Ben. A special gift he has, a future Day-Lewis or budding Fassbender has entered the public eye. It is for that reason I propose his immediate extraction from the show. Please, take him away and send him to the finest academy of drama to be found...in fact, take him far away, maybe New York or direct to Hollywood. He has already sucked the marrow from this role, it is beneath him, and now is the moment to spread his thespian wings and fly away. Very far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

I used to love the English soaps in my teens. Always hated the Irish ones 'cuz I can't stand the Dublin accent! :o But then I completely lost interest in all the English ones. I'm not a big telly fan at all, but I've started watching a few bits n' pieces on the RTE Player. :D Did find myself getting into Ros na Rún the Irish soap for a while there, but have been looking at a couple of different things on the Player and re-discovered Fair City and I love it now, never miss it. And in actual fact I've absolutely no problem whatsoever admitting that I think it's pretty damn good! :):p:pac:

But Haters Gonna Hate!! :D:pac::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I used to love the English soaps in my teens. Always hated the Irish ones 'cuz I can't stand the Dublin accent! :o But then I completely lost interest in all the English ones. I'm not a big telly fan at all, but I've started watching a few bits n' pieces on the RTE Player. :D Did find myself getting into Ros na Rún the Irish soap for a while there, but have been looking at a couple of different things on the Player and re-discovered Fair City and I love it now, never miss it. And in actual fact I've absolutely no problem whatsoever admitting that I think it's pretty damn good! :):p:pac:

But Haters Gonna Hate!! :D:pac::p

Can definitely identify with this! Aside from Emmerdale which can be good (don't watch it much anymore), English soaps are terrible. Fair City and Ros na Rún (bit of a lull at the moment) are far superior imo.

FC draws huge ratings on RTÉ. Unlike a lot of their content, it's most certainly not wasted money.

Advertisement