Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

coylemj wrote: »
    Tesco do homeware alongside food in the Bloomfield store in DL, I expect that they will replicate that model in the expanded Stillorgan store. They could easily use that space for an expanded off-licence, it's busy all the time. There is no way they can move both the off-licence and the homeware section into the expanded main store.

It's a bit of an awkward one having the off licence and the supermarket separate mind you, I'm sure they're alcohol sales would go up if they moved all the alcohol to the main supermarket as it's awkward for customers to have to go between the two to buy alcohol in a separate shop to the rest of their groceries. They now sell a small amount of booze in their main store so it seems they are slowly moving it over.

Look at Dunnes in Cornelscourt all their alcohol used to be in the off-licence and now it's all in the supermarket now and the off licence is gone now surely the reason was to improve profitability and in the case of Tesco in Stillorgan it's even more inconvient as customers have to walk to the other side of the SC to buy alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Is the off licence going aswell, if so maybe the two units could be merged into one. It might be a good location for an Aldi in Stillorgan.

I doubt tesco would agree to that - and also the large new Aldi is opening in Blackrock soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There is no way they can move both the off-licence and the homeware section into the expanded main store.
    Not at their current sizes. The offie is really big, even the cheapest of tesco own brand beer is refrigerated, and they have loads of stock, big pyramd stacks of beer just filling space. Now go to tesco ballybrack, only the highly priced beer is in fridges, and a while ago there were no fridges at all, except maybe 1 or 2 strictly for expensive white wine.

The hardware shop in stillorgan is huge, and often fairly empty, in ballybrack it is a fraction of the size. I imagine many who did shop in tesco stillorgan and needed hardware would be on the way around, spot dealz and buy the items for 1/5th the price tesco were!

The offie is so far away on that remote corner than I actually forgot there was one there, and I used to live in stillorgan!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stillorgan SC has two supermarkets already, Donnybrook Fair does count; and it had either 3 or 4 when built originally.

L1011 wrote: »
    Stillorgan SC has two supermarkets already, Donnybrook Fair does count; and it had either 3 or 4 when built originally.

And LIDL is across the road also. Could imagine an argos or similar might do well, though it's very big for that - could be split in two perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Plenty of NIMBY objections lodged. Make for some fun reading

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ted1 wrote: »
    Plenty of NIMBY objections lodged. Make for some fun reading

Planning objections are always good reading !

That said I wouldn’t like to be buying an apartment on the rock road your head would be wrecked with the traffic hum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This means The Vanilla Pod eatery in Frascati will be closed when the apartments are built.

The proposal will result in the omission of the second floor level restaurant unit and storage floorspace permitted under the Rejuvenation Scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

This means The Vanilla Pod eatery in Frascati will be closed when the apartments are built.

The proposal will result in the omission of the second floor level restaurant unit and storage floorspace permitted under the Rejuvenation Scheme.

The Vanilla Pod isnt in Frascati shopping centre.

• Advertisement

The Vanilla Pod isnt in Frascati shopping centre.

Downstairs in the other one

Cyrus wrote: »
    Downstairs in the other one

So, the Vanilla Pod will close in Blackrock shopping centre...when the apartments in Frascati are built?

Im missing something here.

So, the Vanilla Pod will close in Blackrock shopping centre...when the apartments in Frascati are built?

No I was backing you up :D

They have only just opened and assume are unaffected by the frascati thing

Maybe he is thinking of the Debenhams cafe

Ah grand, I thought I was losing it there for a minute! :pac:

I persume the paragraph relates to a cafe that was meant to open in the new extension but now will not be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I should have put that name down instead. Sorry for the confusion. :o

Why Google Maps didn't say it is another mystery.

O'Briens Off Licence in Stillorgan has closed moved to Kilmacud beside the Mill House.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Stephen15 wrote: »
    O'Briens Off Licence in Stillorgan has closed moved to up Lr. Kilmacud Road to beside the Mill House.

FYP.

And it happened several weeks ago.

FYP.

And it happened several weeks ago.

Apolgies only noticed it today and only and thought it was relevant to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Newsagents in Blackrock Shopping Centre closed

• Advertisement

Any update on the new Lidl in Shankill SC

Has Lloyds in Frascati closed? Or are they just doing a refurb maybe for the new centre. Looked totally emptied out when I passed it at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Has Lloyds in Frascati closed? Or are they just doing a refurb maybe for the new centre. Looked totally emptied out when I passed it at the weekend.

Closed permanently

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Visited the new Kelly & Cooper (was Ouzos). Nice layout inside on the ground floor - all set up as a pub and includes a snug near the back and a couple of TVs up on the wall. Menu has a decent selection, something for everyone really (burger, fish & chips, lemon chicken, moroccan lamb for example). Believe there's a dedicated restaurant area on first floor but didn't get up there.

The space in Cornelscourt which was previously the off-licence and which they converted to a 'gift shop' with big posters of Francis Brennan was clearly a runaway success because it's now screened off and looks like it will be converted to some other use. Whatever shelving units were inside have been dismantled.

Not really surprised, you'd really only notice it when you were walking from the checkouts towards the car park with your trolley or bag full of groceries at which point the last thing you'd feel inclined to do was potter around a gift shop.

Christmas is over , I’d say it was only ever a pop up shop

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ted1 wrote: »
    Christmas is over , I’d say it was only ever a pop up shop

thats what I thought when I saw it, that it was just a xmas gift shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

The space in Cornelscourt which was previously the off-licence and which they converted to a 'gift shop' with big posters of Francis Brennan was clearly a runaway success because it's now screened off and looks like it will be converted to some other use. Whatever shelving units were inside have been dismantled.

Not really surprised, you'd really only notice it when you were walking from the checkouts towards the car park with your trolley or bag full of groceries at which point the last thing you'd feel inclined to do was potter around a gift shop.

I overheard a member of staff say yesterday that the off licence (or part of it) is going back in there. Musical chairs.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I overheard a member of staff say yesterday that the off licence (or part of it) is going back in there. Musical chairs.

No Five Guys by the looks the things so :D

• Advertisement

Dubl07 wrote: »

It would make sense to move boxes and slabs of beer back to that spot and leave most of the wine in the main food store. I've often been in the store with my basket and figured when I pass the new off-licence that maybe I'd buy some beer but it just isn't practical without a trolley unless you fancy lugging a slab of beer and your basket over to one of the lane checkouts. The tiny counter space per cash register in the off-licence section means that you cannot check out with booze and a basket of groceries there.

When the off-licence was by the exit to the car park, you could drop your groceries in the car and nip back in to buy a box or slab of beer, it would be useful if they arranged things to facilitate that again.

Advertisement