Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Looks like some kind of wings restaurant is going into the empty unit on Marine Road next to Teddy's which currently just consists of an escalator going down. Always struck me as a weird unit that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Looks like some kind of wings restaurant is going into the empty unit on Marine Road next to Teddy's which currently just consists of an escalator going down. Always struck me as a weird unit that.

Just Wing It. The same restaurant that is in Tallaght. They do brilliant wings!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Wouldn't get your hopes up. That sign has been there for well over a year now, still looks like nothing is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Sports shop on the top floor of Blackrock SC opposite SuperValu is closing down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Sports shop on the top floor of Blackrock SC opposite SuperValu is closing down :(

Was that O'Farrell sports?
    Just noticed theyve closed their store in Beacon South Quarter there near Dunnes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Was that O'Farrell sports?
    Just noticed theyve closed their store in Beacon South Quarter there near Dunnes.

Active Sports. O'Farrells have a shop in Stillorgan SC aswell.

Here's an article that mentions Five guys in frascati
    https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/public-appetite-for-dining-out-is-giving-property-industry-food-for-thought-36628864.html

Have to say, it's quite a big name. If they could get another few high profile stores in (along with Aldi) I could see it pulling footfall from Stillorgan and Dun Laoghaire

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/public-appetite-for-dining-out-is-giving-property-industry-food-for-thought-36628864.html

Have to say, it's quite a big name. If they could get another few high profile stores in (along with Aldi) I could see it pulling footfall from Stillorgan and Dun Laoghaire

The one thing that be a big pull would be a cinema which both Dun Laoghaire and Stillorgan have. The €2 parking fee is a bit of a joke for a suburban shopping centre, I should hope Aldi will be validating tickets when they open.

Marios in Monkstown is now San Marino

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The one thing that be a big pull would be a cinema which both Dun Laoghaire and Stillorgan have. The €2 parking fee is a bit of a joke for a suburban shopping centre, I should hope Aldi will be validating tickets when they open.

True but there's no hope of a cinema opening in that area so hopefully they'll pull some more big anchor-calibre shops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dundrum is also a suburban shopping centre, they’ve no problem filling the car park. Can’t see a need for a cinema. Asfaik there’s a large multi screen planned for carrickmines

ted1 wrote: »
    Dundrum is also a suburban shopping centre, they’ve no problem filling the car park. Can’t see a need for a cinema. Asfaik there’s a large multi screen planned for carrickmines

A cinema would attract people away from Dun Laoghaire and Stillorgan as its something they have. I may have slightly misphrased but the redeveloped Frascati will not be in the same calibre as Dundrum. It will probably of a similar standard to Nutgrove but shops and size wise.

A cinema would attract people away from Dun Laoghaire and Stillorgan as its something they have. I may have slightly misphrased but the redeveloped Frascati will not be in the same calibre as Dundrum. It will probably of a similar standard to Nutgrove but shops and size wise.
    Nutgrove doesn’t have an expensive car park that it needs to recoup the costs for.

Also cinemas tend to attract people when the stores are closed.

Nutgrove doesn’t have an expensive car park that it needs to recoup the costs for.

Also cinemas tend to attract people when the stores are closed.

Both true. Tbh I don't see what would be the attraction of this revamped shopping centre when parking in Dundrum is only €2 more.

Both true. Tbh I don't see what would be the attraction of this revamped shopping centre when parking in Dundrum is only €2 more.

Less crowds/stress, potentially different stores (e.g. a flagship ALDI, possibly others), the option to combine a look around the shops/bite to eat with a walk by the sea / Blackrock park for more of a "day out" vibe rather than just walking round a soulless shopping centre. More convenient/accessible for anyone in the Blackrock/Dun Laoghaire/Monkstown/Merrion areas etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Dundrum is a town. Its difficult to get around, it can take ages to eventually park. Regular traffic issues at weekends. Overpriced shops and over 10km from Blackrock.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Dundrum is a town. Its difficult to get around, it can take ages to eventually park. Regular traffic issues at weekends. Overpriced shops and over 10km from Blackrock.

Agree with all that (although Dundrum Town Centre is less than 4km from Mount Merrion Avenue :))

I think it's more meaningful to compare Blackrock with say Dun Laoghaire in terms of scale and location etc.

Less crowds/stress, potentially different stores (e.g. a flagship ALDI, possibly others), the option to combine a look around the shops/bite to eat with a walk by the sea / Blackrock park for more of a "day out" vibe rather than just walking round a soulless shopping centre. More convenient/accessible for anyone in the Blackrock/Dun Laoghaire/Monkstown/Merrion areas etc.

I get that but it just doesn't seem to be enough to justify a €2 parking fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Agree with all that (although Dundrum Town Centre is less than 4km from Mount Merrion Avenue :))

I think it's more meaningful to compare Blackrock with say Dun Laoghaire in terms of scale and location etc.

By the time you've found a parking space in Dundrum it feels like 10km from ballaly :)

The other issue is people parking all day and jumping on bus to town if parking was free.

€2 if its well laid out and easy to navigate will not put off anyone

I get that but it just doesn't seem to be enough to justify a €2 parking fee

If you are just popping in for bread and milk I can see how €2 would be a barrier, but if you are planning on staying a couple of hours, maybe getting food etc. surely it's not a big deal?
    Some of the shops might validate it with a purchase? I know the butcher used to do it with purchases over €30, so potentially M&S or others might too when it's opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Have done a couple of quick visits to Frescati recently and when I validated my ticket it came up as Zero. Doesn't seem to be listed on the price list at the entrance. Not complaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Awaaf wrote: »
    Have done a couple of quick visits to Frescati recently and when I validated my ticket it came up as Zero. Doesn't seem to be listed on the price list at the entrance. Not complaining!

There's a danger that it would become a park & ride if the word went out that it was free, what with the Dart being a few minutes away and the various bus services (incl. the Killiney/Dalkey Aircoach) passing right outside.

But I suspect it's probably only free for no more than a couple of hours.

Awaaf wrote: »

I've had that happen to me. I don't know what the cutoff is, but a brisk walk from the car, to M&S to grab a meal deal and back to the car usually works out free.

Aegir wrote: »
    I've had that happen to me. I don't know what the cutoff is, but a brisk walk from the car, to M&S to grab a meal deal and back to the car usually works out free.

Youve generally around 15 minutes to leave and there's no charge. Technically it is considered that you have not accepted the terms and conditions of the car park and have proceeded straight to the exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Youve generally around 15 minutes to leave and there's no charge. Technically it is considered that you have not accepted the terms and conditions of the car park and have proceeded straight to the exit.

Or that you may have driven around in circles and couldn't find a parking space. They have no display at the entrance showing the number of free spaces which means they aren't keeping track of how many cars are in the car park so the barrier will always lift and let you in. That means they have to give you up to 15 minutes to get out for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Just on Frascati. Bookstation had officially opened their store today in the old Book Value unit. I had a look in there earlier today. I thought the selection there is not great. Very small for both books & stationery products. At least it is occupied with something to prevent it being empty. I wish it luck having it's business there.

Just on Frascati. Bookstation had officially opened their store today in the old Book Value unit. I had a look in there earlier today. I thought the selection there is not great. Very small for both books & stationery products. At least it is occupied with something to prevent it being empty. I wish it luck having it's business there.

Just books and stationery or is there a newsagent there too like Stillorgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭cobham

A second Dealz outlet serving this area. It is located beside Home Store and More and across from the Lidl outlet. It is about twice the size of the one in the Nutgrove Shopping centre and has space for clothing lines.

cobham wrote: »
    A second Dealz outlet serving this area. It is located beside Home Store and More and across from the Lidl outlet. It is about twice the size of the one in the Nutgrove Shopping centre and has space for clothing lines.
    Are you missing part of the sentence.

There about 10 dealz serving this area (South Dublin )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Are you missing part of the sentence.

There about 10 dealz serving this area (South Dublin )

I think you are missing the "title" Another Dealz in Nutgrove

-I am not being smart or having a go at you, it is easily missed and people should not use that "title" thing for this very reason.

Advertisement