Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

rubadub wrote: »
    I think you are missing the "title" Another Dealz in Nutgrove

-I am not being smart or having a go at you, it is easily missed and people should not use that "title" thing for this very reason.

Title doesn't display on the touch site. Never realised that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ted1 wrote: »
    Are you missing part of the sentence.

There about 10 dealz serving this area (South Dublin )

I think you are missing the "title" Another Dealz in Nutgrove

-I am not being smart or having a go at you, it is easily missed and people should not use that "title" thing for this very reason.

As above

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭cobham

I thought I was just posting about a new 'opening' in Dublin South County and did not merit a separate title?. Yes the district is well served but this one seems the largest of the ones I am familiar with and rolling out their new policy of stocking clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

cobham wrote: »
    I thought I was just posting about a new 'opening' in Dublin South County and did not merit a separate title?

I'm assuming you meant 'did not merit a separate thread'

Does a new Dealz in Sth. Dublin even merit a new post?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Starbucks in Dun Laoghaire closed. The Shopping centre one on Marine road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Just books and stationery or is there a newsagent there too like Stillorgan.

Just books and stationery only. No newsagent in the Frascati store.

The Mig wrote: »
    Starbucks in Dun Laoghaire closed. The Shopping centre one on Marine road.

Quelle Surprise

You have to look at Starbucks sometimes and wonder what they are thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Get Fresh fruit & veg. shop on Deansgrange Road has closed. They have pasted two notices on the (closed) shutters, I couldn't read the full details as I was passing in the car today at about 3:45 p.m. but the gist of the signage is that they have closed as of last Saturday March 10th. There was a guy with a van there last Saturday and I noticed him removing the centre display, I assumed it was being replaced as part of general maintenance but in hindsight it now looks like they were starting to dismantle the place.

It's the shop with the green canopy in this Streetview ... https://goo.gl/maps/W6Hk6Ayv3io

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

coylemj wrote: »
    Get Fresh fruit & veg. shop on Deansgrange Road has closed. They have pasted two notices on the (closed) shutters, I couldn't read the full details as I was passing in the car today at about 3:45 p.m. but the gist of the signage is that they have closed as of last Saturday March 10th. There was a guy with a van there last Saturday and I noticed him removing the centre display, I assumed it was being replaced as part of general maintenance but in hindsight it now looks like they were starting to dismantle the place.

It's the shop with the green canopy in this Streetview ... https://goo.gl/maps/W6Hk6Ayv3io

Sign mentions business transferring to Veg shop in Kilmacud. That doesn't seem to be a very practical option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

coylemj wrote: »

I think they had a bit of a semi wholesale business as well selling to restaurants/caterers ect. This business is been taken over by Fruit World Kilmacud and Sebastian who works in Deansgrange is transferring up there. The owner I believe is moving to Mortons in Ranelagh as fresh fruit and veg manager.

I shopped there for years and will miss it especially for the large range of spices available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

The €2 parking fee is a bit of a joke for a suburban shopping centre, I should hope Aldi will be validating tickets when they open.

And is even a bigger joke when the place is a full construction site
    I understand they want to stop people using it for the DART, but they could make the first hour or two free while the construction work is going on. Its a jungle now between there and Blackrock SC across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I understand they want to stop people using it for the DART,
    I'd say people use it for the bus too, always seems to be a very busy bus stop there.

I'd say people use it for the bus too, always seems to be a very busy bus stop there.
    That car park has always charged, although it was on an honesty system previously and you bought your ticket and placed it on the window

The Blackrock SC had the barriers but SuperQuinn/Valu would validate the ticket if you spend at least 5 euro (I think) on stuff.

And yes, that bus stop is always very busy and has a pretty large catchment area directly behind it and also those on Mount Merrion Avenue. The #17 is not exactly frequent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That car park has always charged, although it was on an honesty system previously and you bought your ticket and placed it on the window

The Blackrock SC had the barriers but SuperQuinn/Valu would validate the ticket if you spend at least 5 euro (I think) on stuff.

And yes, that bus stop is always very busy and has a pretty large catchment area directly behind it and also those on Mount Merrion Avenue. The #17 is not exactly frequent :)

i was practically resident in M&S at one stage of my life and never bought a ticket, that said i only ever nipped into M&S and then left. i agree that while the construction is ongoing they should have delayed the barriers, its a warzone there at the moment.

Cyrus wrote: »
    i was practically resident in M&S at one stage of my life and never bought a ticket, that said i only ever nipped into M&S and then left. i agree that while the construction is ongoing they should have delayed the barriers, its a warzone there at the moment.

Of course people take a risk on buying the ticket, especially if they were just popping in for something quickly. I do know people who were caught thought without a ticket, and of course the occasional ticket swapping was quite persistent there in the past...

At the moment, I struggle which way to turn if I want to go shopping. Dunnes in Cornelscourt seems like the only place that is not a warzone. Stillorgan seems to lack all concept of the rules of the road when it comes to parking. Blackrock is total carnage ... The other other viable option is Tesco in Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Of course people take a risk on buying the ticket, especially if they were just popping in for something quickly. I do know people who were caught thought without a ticket, and of course the occasional ticket swapping was quite persistent there in the past...

At the moment, I struggle which way to turn if I want to go shopping. Dunnes in Cornelscourt seems like the only place that is not a warzone. Stillorgan seems to lack all concept of the rules of the road when it comes to parking. Blackrock is total carnage ... The other other viable option is Tesco in Dun Laoghaire.

Yes we either get Tesco to deliver or go to cornelscourt for grocery shopping , if I’m going to Blackrock I park by the library or on idrone terrace

Cyrus wrote: »
    if I’m going to Blackrock I park by the library or on idrone terrace
    Frascatti Park behind M&S is my usual spot, but it suits me to do a U-turn and get back onto Mount Merrion Avenue ... or I just walk depending on what I am going for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I don't go into Frascati very much but I have to say the car park in Blackrock SC is a complete nightmare which I avoid at all costs even if you do manage to squeeze into a spot your car will probably end up with a dent of some sort.

I don't go into Frascati very much but I have to say the car park in Blackrock SC is a complete nightmare which I avoid at all costs even if you do manage to squeeze into a spot your car will probably end up with a dent of some sort.
    Agree 100% - my wife was complaining like mad about the place a week or so ago.
    I think Blackrock would have lost a good few patrons over this, only Stillorgan is equally as bad !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Parking your car around that area is probably becoming a little bit more harder now. Blackrock SC's car park exit barriers out to Frascati Rd had closed recently because the road boundary outside the new office block for Zurich group is now a building site. You can't exit your car up through the ramp from underneath the SC now which could be like that for a considerable period of time. I walked past that exit today and it's now shut for builders & site managers only.

• Advertisement

cobham wrote: »
    I thought I was just posting about a new 'opening' in Dublin South County and did not merit a separate title?. Yes the district is well served but this one seems the largest of the ones I am familiar with and rolling out their new policy of stocking clothing.

I believe George Davis is behind the clothing. This is the man that created Next, them moved to Asda to create the George brand and now it looks like he is teaming up with Dealz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Aegir wrote: »
    I believe George Davis is behind the clothing. This is the man that created Next, them moved to Asda to create the George brand and now it looks like he is teaming up with Dealz.

Nope, Andy Bond former ceo of Asda is heading up the rollout of Pep and co. on behalf of its owners

Its an offshoot of Pep Stores in south africa and the overall owner of both dealz/poundland and pep is Steinhoff who operate dozens of retail formats and have about 20,000 stores http://www.steinhoffinternational.com/

Heatons in Carrickmines are closing.

I know sportsdirect own heatons and many are saying it is being turned into a sports direct store in its entirety.

However, there is a strong rumour in property circles that Decathlon has taken the store.

You heard it here first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

CeilingFly wrote: »

I know sportsdirect own heatons and many are saying it is being turned into a sports direct store in its entirety.

However, there is a strong rumour in property circles that Decathlon has taken the store.

Actually I heard it here first
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057853399

frash wrote: »

thought it deserved to be in both threads :) - should have posted in the DS thread first.

If I get more definite info, I'll make sure its here first. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Aegir wrote: »
    Quelle Surprise

You have to look at Starbucks sometimes and wonder what they are thinking.

I think it has more to do with the fact that there was another bigger Starbucks right across the road. Starbucks are growing in Ireland not shrinking. But I agree you'd have to wonder what they're thinking opening to cafes on the same street in Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Moo's burritos has closed on George's St in Dun Laoghaire. Don't think it even lasted a year but can't say I'm complete surprised. It wasn't a good location for a burrito bar and they had strange opening hours - they closed at 7pm. Or maybe people have just reached burrito saturation point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Moo's burritos has closed on George's St in Dun Laoghaire. Don't think it even lasted a year but can't say I'm complete surprised. It wasn't a good location for a burrito bar and they had strange opening hours - they closed at 7pm. Or maybe people have just reached burrito saturation point.
    Closed at least 6 months easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Wasn't that place closed by a health inpection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

CeilingFly wrote: »

Staff are saying sportsdirect are moving down stairs and a heatons style shop going upstairs( https://www.brandsmax.com )

You heard it here first.

Advertisement